Thread: Traditional archery lessons?

Default Traditional archery lessons?

A co-worker of mine is in the midst of writing three books. She writes historical fiction, and the last of the three book series involves archery. She would like to take lessons as research for her book - specifically traditional archery. Do any of you have suggestions that I could pass along? I know that the folks at a couple of the archery shops offer lessons, but I'm not aware if any of them specialize in recurves or long bows.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    A co-worker of mine is in the midst of writing three books. She writes historical fiction, and the last of the three book series involves archery. She would like to take lessons as research for her book - specifically traditional archery. Do any of you have suggestions that I could pass along? I know that the folks at a couple of the archery shops offer lessons, but I'm not aware if any of them specialize in recurves or long bows.
    Hi Brian. I shoot traditional. I have been shooting traditional for about 12-13 years now. I have shot bears, moose and small game with a recurve. I don't give lessons. I learned a few good pointers back in the day from an old friend of mine who used to own fletcher's archery in the valley. His name was Jerry Fletcher. He lives in the valley and he used to give lessons. He is a great guy. You could look him up in the phone book and see if he would be interested. Another suggestion I have is to order a video made by Fred Asbell on instinctive shooting. It is one of the best videos I have ever seen on the subject. Fred Asbell has a lot of wisdom on the subject in my opinion. Not a lot of traditional guys out there these days. It's too bad because I think it is a great sport.

Groupon is currently offering a half price deal for archery lessons in Wasilla, at Bearpaw:
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/bear-pa...fFtfz7j-SLIh2R

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Groupon is currently offering a half price deal for archery lessons in Wasilla, at Bearpaw:
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/bear-pa...fFtfz7j-SLIh2R
    Hey FamilyMan. I checked out your link. Do they provide lessons for both traditional archery as well as for compound? The two different styles are completely incompatible in my opinion. I shot a compound for 15-20 years before I shot traditional. When I started shooting traditionally it was like learning to shoot all over again. Two completely different styles of shooting.

"Bowyer's Bible I &II" will give her a good research on designs. "Instinctive Shooting" by Fred Asbell and "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson will give her good instruction on shooting form and accuracy. Good places to start. "Hunting the Hard Way" by Howard Hill is another good reference.

Default I haven't been to Bearpaw/Wasilla, no

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey FamilyMan. I checked out your link. Do they provide lessons for both traditional archery as well as for compound? The two different styles are completely incompatible in my opinion. I shot a compound for 15-20 years before I shot traditional. When I started shooting traditionally it was like learning to shoot all over again. Two completely different styles of shooting.
    I bet it was like starting over; they seem entirely different to shoot accurately. I've only every shot compound myself; I've got a PSE I'm attached to. Never shot longbow or recurve.

No experience with Bearpaw here or I'd have added that. Surely someone has been there though.

I'm a bit out of bow hunting due to an injury - I can't pull it back anymore; could be that my older PSE will just becomes a (large) kid's practice bow; I'm sure they've made huge advances since that would warrant upgrading said kid to a more modern one before hunting.

I'm a regular Groupon'r. They're really good, for some things. I would not do a groupon fishing trip, for example. I remembered seeing this recently & went and checked, and they haven't pulled the bearpaw groupon yet; they will before too long probably.

The new owner of Screaming Eagle Archery in Wasilla is a Trad shooter and dealer. Have her drop in and see Rich or call to see if he can help her. His number is (907) 376-2699

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    The new owner of Screaming Eagle Archery in Wasilla is a Trad shooter and dealer. Have her drop in and see Rich or call to see if he can help her. His number is (907) 376-2699
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Have you tried looking up the 'traditional archers of alaska' group? They usually meet in palmer wasilla last I heard. I've been out of touch with the groupies in a long time. the hole north vs south crap gets old after awhile.

I'm sure there's a bunch of folks shooing with the other groups....and I would highly encourage her to be ready for the massey shoot when it happens. I'm hoping my schedule will allow me to run down for it....finally!

Another guy to look up is Brian Stewart, used to build arrows....or talk to Ed himself, I'm sure he'd be up for it or knows someone who would.