Thread: Lower Fire lake

Default Lower Fire lake

Never again.

I mean, I know there are fish in there. There HAVE to be. There were at least 4-6 other tents out there today all with at least 2 people in them. So that means there either have to be fish in that lake, or there are 8-12 really stupid ice fishermen who wasted their day today in the freezing rain fishing on an empty lake.
    I refuse, mostly for my own sanity, to believe that is true.

I tried Herring with spoons, soft plastic pike baits, tip-ups with anchovies, swedish pimples with shrimp....
    So I have to ask myself.. Am I wasting my time with this lake???
    Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

have not fish the lake for many years but what I will ask you did any of the other tents / people catch any fish ?????????????

Not that I saw. There were a couple of guys out there til 1 o'clock or so, then they went back in. Said they didn't catch anything, not sure about the other folks out there, I was kind of hoping that someone who was out there would see this post and respond, but I guess we'll see.

I was out there today. There are some fish as I watched a pike come in and strike at my lure twice, missed it both times though but was fun to watch. Other than that yeah the rain made it suck.

I've been out there 3 times in the last month. Caught 2 pike each time. One was a good 25", the others were smaller hammer handles. The first time they were actually striking the lure, but the last two times they have been less aggressive and more nibbling on it. The last time there were a couple that would just swim around and bump the jig, couldnt get em to strike. The only thing we have caught them on is white tube jigs with smelly jelly. Have tried putting some herring on there but hasn't worked. Have also tried whole herring with no luck.

What are some good lakes up in the valley that would be the best bet for some larger pike?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We were out there today. We got two pike, saw another one in the hole but didnt connect with it. Talked with two other guys around noon that had a pretty nice one also. The pike population is definitely lower than it was a few years ago, but there are enough around to keep it interesting.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? How deep do you usually fish and what are you using to get them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong? How deep do you usually fish and what are you using to get them with?
    bar none, herring under a tip up has accounted for the vast majority for us. Hang them 1-2 feet off the bottom. Find the weeds and you'll find the fish.

Roger that. Do you use the whole fish? Does that matter? I know pike eat just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Roger that. Do you use the whole fish? Does that matter? I know pike eat just about anything.
    I generally use half herring, especially later in the season as the pike get more lethargic.

If you are getting nibbled by pike when jigging, try this trick I learned in Bristol Bay.

Okay, your standing next to your hole lookin all friendly to passersby waving your hands around with the quick lift and drop letting the jig or spoon flutter down. You let it hang for 30 seconds or so while you take a sip from your quickly freezing can of Rainier. You feel the slightest of wiggles on your rod......at this point you have been nibbled by a pike of unknown size.....now, here's the interesting part.....DO NOT just jig it again and flutter it back down, just take the rod tip and drop it a foot. Most of the time that pike is still staring at it and bumping it with it's nose. If you drop it down it thinks it is getting away and I will guarantee you get struck two out of three times if you do this. As the pike slowed down in Bristol Bay starting in February, we would get nibbled like mad but missed them a lot. After a few sessions looking down the hole as a pike swam up and just lipped it, I systematically tried all kinds of things to get him to actually strike it. Well, one time my rod slipped and the spoon just dropped a foot suddenly....WHAM, off to the races with that pike. Started doing it on purpose and actually jigged more by dropping it and slowly bring it back up instead of the ol lift and flutter technique (which char however love).

It would seem natural to just jig it up, but trust me if you drop it instead you will increase your hook ups when they are being finicky....also, do not over jig with pike either, just tires you out and rarely seems to elicit a strike. I got so confident with this technique that if two of us were standing around and I got nibbled....I'd wait a few seconds and say...."watch this".....drop the rod tip and the pike would take off with the lure....did it dozens of times.

Some of you may not believe that something so simple can make such a difference, I know I didn't think it would, but next time you're getting bumped and not hooking up, try it.....what ya got to lose.

I was out there last Saturday and the Saturday before and did fairly well. The pike are lethargic right now but they will still bite, just not as aggressively as I've seen in the summer time. Even during the summer Fire Lake pike are not that aggressive to begin with. Once you see a pike come in to your lure hold the lure as still as you can. Usually they will wrap their lips around the bait or lure just long enough to set the hook. Chances are I will be back out there this Saturday or Sunday. If you see a tall guy decked out in camo with a 949 Fatfish stop by and say hi.

I don't see much luck out with tip ups out there.