Thread: Sleeping/bed/ground pad

Default Sleeping/bed/ground pad

Need your input -

Sleeping/bed/ground pad

If YOU were to put your wife out in a tent at -20 degrees with a -20 rated bag, which sleeping pad would you send her out in the cold with and expect her to still be nice to you the following day?

Is the $$$$ for the XTherm really worth the money?
    Is the Wiggy's ground pad comparable to the XTherm?
    Are there alternatives that are just as good, but just not as sexy to talk about?

Weight is important, but not a deal-breaker. My understanding is the weight of the Wiggy pad is higher than others, but so are the bags.

Thanks
    Carol
    Fly fishing makes me herl

I've got an Exped Downmat 7 that I'm very, very happy with, and I'm a cold sleeper. I don't think the Wiggy's pads are even close.

Interesting. How does the compression bag pump up the mat?

Never mind, I see the pump is stored in the bag.
    How does it compare warmth-wise with the XTherm?

If it was me I would have her sleep on 2- inch close cell mats and a very thick carpet for comfort to sleep on. You will also need a couple of strap to hold everything together and two sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by etdvm View Post
    Never mind, I see the pump is stored in the bag.
    How does it compare warmth-wise with the XTherm?
    I think they're pretty much in the same ballpark. I've been surprised by how comfortable it is. Packs down small, too.

I got the xlite for Christmas for this coming year

I have an Exped Synmat 9 that is about as warm as a Downmat 7 but heavier. Exped's built in pump works quite well once you get the hang of it but I was a slow learner. The warmest pad I have is an REI CampPad, 3.5 inch self inflating design. It's bulky & heavy but very warm and comfortable.

How do these compare to Big Agnes?
    Also had one comment about wiggy ground pads. Any more observations?

FWIW, I will be in a Wiggy's FTRSS (about -30 total) in a 4-season tent with a foot print. Outside conditions have potential to go to -10, so not too bad. Possibly moderate snow, but seems that the snow has been AWOL in many locations this winter. Of course, my luck will bring -35 and a blizzard of record amounts of accumulation. I am cold-natured medium sized female.

Here is how I keep my wife happy at -20 and below. Start with a -60 bag (We us Wiggys' Ultima Thule with Overbag). Then a closed cell foam pad with a wool blanket on top then a Therma-rest pad on top of that. We have the same set up for the our kids too. It is a snowmachine camp load, using a large sled to tow it all in. Nobody gets cold at night. Our coldest night so far is -28. Doesn't hurt we are in an Arctic Oven though, but I have slept in our enclosed trailer in my -60 bag and was fine while two friend in -20 bags were chilled, outside temp -15ish.

The OP is asking about using a ground pad a 20 below other than akjeft and myself have any of you use there equipment @ extremely low temperature? It very importance she find something that will work not something someone thinks will work. I have not looked at or used any of the inflatable pads except the Therma-rest and it has foam inside that keeps the cold air from moving around and it was cold at zero degree. The only time I would recommend using a Therma-rest is with closed cell foam pads. I'm not trying to pick a fight or say your pad will not work, I just don't know.

The OP has only one chance to get it right.

Well, if you don't know then why are you recommending not using a Therma-rest? Based on having been cold on an entirely different mat?

I haven't been particularly happy with Therma-rest pads in the past (quality), which is why I went with Exped. It's very warm.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The only time I would recommend using a Therma-rest is with closed cell foam pads.
    Was i not clear?

Great input. Appreciate the advice thus far.
    I do realize that asking "what's the best (sleeping bag, pad, gloves, snowmachine, etc.) will bring out many opposing views. I need to hear them all.