Thread: Any stories of pre-rut bull moose?

Default Any stories of pre-rut bull moose?

30 lbs of lard, and breakfast sausage of a combination of 50/50 ground moose suet and moose meat, hamburger that's 70 percent meat 30 percent moose suet......this has me giving preference to early season bulls. I'm really greatful for this fat-rich meat we've been blessed with. It's tender and almost sweet in flavor. The fat was four inches thick across almost the entire back and rump. The fat it's self tastes like someone accidentally sprinkled a touch of sugar in the frying pan.

I may soon put preference to pre-season scouting for the rest of my life. Hunting the pre-rut is never a bad thing. For me, it's involved more moving, more scouting of feeding pastures. Less calling, and time of day mattered less.

Anyone take a large bull at the beginning of the season and observed this level of fat/tender meat?

Melt that fat down and use like butter,dang late night snack in order.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The fat it's self tastes like someone accidentally sprinkled a touch of sugar in the frying pan.
    Wow....that's pretty amazing. I'd have to taste that to believe it tho.......lol. And as far as it in place of my butter on a muffin...??? I'd REALLY have to taste it first.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    30 lbs of lard, and breakfast sausage of a combination of 50/50 ground moose suet and moose meat, hamburger that's 70 percent meat 30 percent moose suet......this has me giving preference to early season bulls. I'm really greatful for this fat-rich meat we've been blessed with. It's tender and almost sweet in flavor. The fat was four inches thick across almost the entire back and rump. The fat it's self tastes like someone accidentally sprinkled a touch of sugar in the frying pan.

I may soon put preference to pre-season scouting for the rest of my life. Hunting the pre-rut is never a bad thing. For me, it's involved more moving, more scouting of feeding pastures. Less calling, and time of day mattered less.

Anyone take a large bull at the beginning of the season and observed this level of fat/tender meat?
    My experience with moose fat is that it is the tastiest of the wildgame I've had (yet to try wild boar though), if I could talk the guys I hunt with into leaving more of it on and saving it for the grind when we process....I definitely would. Alas we process our moose together and democratically and with only one vote in four I lose out.

However, I do not share your views of early hunting season. I hunt in an area where the pre rut is marked with lots of bug swatting, green vegetation, uber active bears on the lakes and rivers and lots of just sitting there.....praying that the one bull moose in 8 square miles will walk in front of me before I get bored and go char fishing.

Your estimation of pre season is nearly opposite of how I view it IMHO. Perhaps you are in the secret garden where the bulls hang before they start moving for the rut, but in my experience time of day is everything during early season. I have several buddies that go early just because that is what works for work schedules and just to get out there......all they have is stories of pre dawn bulls slinking off the meadow, and late late late shots that lead to butchering all night with rain and bugs and things that go thump in the night. Days are filled with swatting bugs and holding out hope that one of those fatty pre rut bulls will for some reason decide to stride out in broad daylight. Usually they burn lots of leave and gas and allowed time away from the kiddos, then go out after Sept. 10 and call one into camp. When they are coming to the call, noon is as good as 9 pm and once they are down you can get em taken care of before the sun sets. Our group usually doesn't even hunt past an hour or so before dark just because we'd rather have a scotch around the fire at night and do our packing during the day.

The hunt stops in Dillingham area on Sept. 15 which doesn't really get into the true rut, but from Sept. 10 on they are pretty receptive to calls. Every bull we've taken (from milk lips paddle bulls to 62 inch toads) has displayed excellent fat content and I haven't noticed any untoward smells of rutting. Usually the last 7 days of season are pretty quiet as most guys have already burned their budgets, leave bank and blood supply to bugs by then and have reconciled themselves to a fish for winter or quick weekend hunts hoping to get lucky, whereas that's when we just get started.

That said, this is an area where the moose start the season way off the water (you could get to em but two to 5 mile packs in this area are just not a good idea), and eventually come closer as they get randy. If you've got an area where you can confidently sit out there on August 20 and expect to see something, congratulations and enjoy. For me, I just go fishing in August and hunt hard when things start moving. Our meat has been excellent and it allows us to enjoy the trip with the guys without all the challenges of early season.