Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC481 Winter 'Bou hunt

Default DC481 Winter 'Bou hunt

So a girlfriend of mine drew a DC481 permit for any bull and asked me to go on this hunt with her. As I typically have a weakness for hot blondes, I said, "Sure"! We're in the process now of researching the area and planning our trip and I figured I might get some good beta from some kind and experienced hunters on this forum.... Most likely, we will be going in on snowmachines from the Eureka/Lake Louise area, though we are open to all options. Any advice about the geographic area and trails would be appreciated. Cheers!

Look to the Unit 13 Caribou thread. That is where this has been covered.

Remember that you are not limited to just the DC481 hunt area, it has been opened up to the entire unit 13 area. Like GD said, check out this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...caribou-thread for ideas.

If this weather doesn't cover the roads with ice, I'll be heading up Monday to look for a bull and I'll give a report if I go.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Darn, what the internet has become.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Look to the Unit 13 Caribou thread. That is where this has been covered.
    Jocko, if you'll create a female screen name for yourself, these answers will be a lot more helpful. A LOT more helpful. Also, once you do... don't mention the boyfriend until you get all the information you need. Clean out your PM box!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

PM's cleared.
    Skinny D you are hilarious! But so true. And yes, I've been searching the Unit 13 thread on this forum... and I will be meeting with ADFG bios in the Anchorage office to get the latest info on the permitted hunt area and herd distribution/migration habits... as well as stats from previous years hunters. I have a friend who grew up in the Glenallen area so I may even contact her and her family for some additional local knowledge....

What I was hoping for on this sportsmans' forum was some anecdotal stories from hunters who have hunted this area at this time of year... trail conditions, overflow, snowpack, access options, etc... as safety is always our number one concern. This will be an adventure on snowmachines for us in a new area we have never hunted before so I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps we'll even bag an animal and bring some meat home; that would be a treat!

Good luck to all you hunters with the same permit or just searching for helpful information on here!
    cheers!

Default DC481 Winter 'Bou hunt

We'll need to be seeing some pictures don't forget

pics to be posted following the hunt, fo sho...

It is mostly cows and calfs in the Eureka/ Lake Louise area but you might get lucky and find a bull in the mix. The caribou are still pretty shy of humans right now but seem to have calmed down some from when I was out in Nov looking for them. It was snowing hard in Eureka last night when I passed through so snowmachine travel in that are should be improving and if you are on foot bring snowshoes or skis.

Good luck!

sockeye, the internet has become the answer....to all lifes questions. go ahead, just ask someone in here will tell you...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the update, bronco!

Any trail condition updates from the Eureka/Lake Louise area lately??

Default trail?

The caribou aren't on the trail, nor are they on the road.. they do however been known to cross both trails and roads at times.. If you have a snowmachine, Pick a spot in GMU 13 and look for sign, (tracks).. that means they have been their.. once you find the sign.. (tracks) follow them, I can bet they wont be on the road or walking down the trail.. however they have bene known to at times..

follow the tracks and look ahead.. More than likely you will find a caribou making them.. Unless its a Yeti in disguise, However that season is now open too.. so bonus..

Seriously.. their caribou. they are where they are, they graze all day and night and cover 20-25 miles a day at a mild walking pace.. and they walk in any direction they wish to.. where they are today, it isn't likely they will be tomorrow.. thats just caribou..

If you find tracks and follow them and come upon a group.... you have just found some caribou.. thats how it works.. sometimes it dont.. and that is why it's called hunting.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

We're going to head to Eureka tomorrow morning for some riding and ptarmigan hunting. Ill be looking for some Bou as well for my cousin. I'll report back if there's any poking around.

Ok, couldn't do Eureka. Way too foggy. We turned around and rode up Puritan/Boulder creek to try for some birds. We did see some fresh Bou tracks closer to Sheep Mtn. though. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    If you find tracks and follow them and come upon a group.... you have just found some caribou.. thats how it works.. sometimes it dont.. and that is why it's called hunting.
    I believe that's called, "sarcasm"... and you need some work at it... and your grammar and manners, too.

Judd, you are a true Sportsman here. Thank you for your contribution!

My girlfriend and I will be heading up to Fairbanks next weekend to watch my buddy finish the Yukon Quest. We're then planning to head back via the Richardson and do some "hunting" in the Paxson area... then work our way back along the Glenn. I'll post a report with pics when we return; hopefully the weather holds out for us.

cheers!

The caribou aren't on the trail, nor are they on the road.. they do however been known to cross both trails and roads at times.. If you have a snowmachine, Pick a spot in GMU 13 and look for sign, (tracks).. that means they have been their.. once you find the sign.. (tracks) follow them, I can bet they wont be on the road or walking down the trail.. however they have bene known to at times..

follow the tracks and look ahead.. More than likely you will find a caribou making them.. Unless its a Yeti in disguise, However that season is now open too.. so bonus..

Seriously.. their caribou. they are where they are, they graze all day and night and cover 20-25 miles a day at a mild walking pace.. and they walk in any direction they wish to.. where they are today, it isn't likely they will be tomorrow.. thats just caribou..

I'm not understanding your level of angst here. I "get" that the Eureka area is your back yard... after all, I'm from the Kenai and know all about the back yard thing :->.... but not everyone can go running up that direction in a short time window and look everywhere until they come across caribou. It is an expensive, long trip for some, taking time off work, etc, so a little bit of information offered by people who don't mind sharing it could save a guy some time and money. Some folks don't have gobs of either. It is great to have a week to just reconnoiter and enjoy that aspect of hunting, but for many it is not a reality. To vent on folks because you don't think that what they are asking is sporting enough, or fair, or you think they are stupid and don't know as much as you, or what have you- while I understand it- seems to be a little ridiculous. You don't have to participate in the thread.

Someone put up the Unit 13 thread to share information. It was a great thread and people gained lots of info from it. But the OP of this thread obviously thought it was pointless to follow that thread anymore because of how people trashed it with stupid witticisms, so he started his own. Maybe you could leave it alone.

Sorry, I've never hunted in eureka.. EVER., I drive by it and hunt elsewhere to avoid the big crowds.. What my post I guess was directed at is, Their is enough posts on the caribou in GMU subject. some are pinned to the top. Yet every few days people re invent the wheel so to speak..

Like I said. Their caribou..where they are today. Won't help you to find them tomorrow.. So fill up your truck, pony up the money at the gas pump and put your boots on the ground. That's how ya get it done.

Regards
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

guess was directed at is, Their is enough posts on the caribou in GMU subject. some are pinned to the top.
    Says you........if you don't like it turn the channel.........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast