Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220 Sierra or Hornady for moose or bear

Default 220 Sierra or Hornady for moose or bear

What 220 bullet would you use and why: 220 sierra or hornady for moose or bear?

OK Ron out of what a sling-shot or a 30-30 ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Out of what?

In a 30-06 I wouldn't worry about it....there's not enough impact velocity to rupture either. In the .300WBY I'd probably look at something else.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have some Hornady loaded up, but I've been considering Woodleigh for larger bears.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If a 220rn core-lok won't work I quit.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

sorry guys, its out of my 06'. I will be doing a load run of 400 for future hunting. Over the last few years the 150's dont seem to be doing what i want. Yes they are killing, just not with the thump i'm looking for. I loaded a bunch of 200 accubonds which over penitrated .

sorry guys, its out of my 06'. I will be doing a load run of 400 for future hunting. Over the last few years the 150's dont seem to be doing what i want. Yes they are killing, just not with the thump i'm looking for. I loaded a bunch of 200 accubonds which over penitrated .
    Thats a big jump in weight. Are you saying you were using 150 grain bullets for moose and bear? If so, which one?

no, but soon i will be. The 150's i use are coreloks, win ballistic silver tips, hornady interlocks.

no, but soon i will be. The 150's i use are coreloks, win ballistic silver tips, hornady interlocks.
    OK, now I'm confused, probably my fault. Are you saying "no I don't or did'nt use 150 grain bullets for moose and bear, but I soon will be."? I thought you were switching from 150 grain to 220 grain?

I have not used 150's on anything but whitetails. The 180's i have used give me mixed results as well. The accubonds are like win fail safes on whitetails. I want 220's for larger game. Just wanted to know which performed better.

I have not used 150's on anything but whitetails. The 180's i have used give me mixed results as well. The accubonds are like win fail safes on whitetails. I want 220's for larger game. Just wanted to know which performed better.
    Launching a modern 220 grn projectile from the 30-06 should be a piece of cake. Since most 30 cal. projectiles that heavy can withstand being shot out of a magnum rifle the 30-06 velocities shouldn't cause one to over expand. The 220 grain bullets may "over-penetrate" , but that can be caused by many factors; range, small animal, weird angles, whether you hit a major bone structure. IF the animal you are shooting is unable to absorb all the kinetic energy of your bullet it will over penetrate, that's why they expand to dump energy into your target but may still pass completely through an animal after being expanded. I would load a 15 round test batch of both bullets and see which load my rifle liked best; THAT'S the bullet I would choose. GOOD LUCK !!...............................................
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

GrassLakeRon,
    have you tried or considered the Speer 200 grain hot core. Does amazing things outta my old 06.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have not tried Spear. 200 Norma Oryx and 200 Nosler Accubonds is all. If you had your choice would you go Sierra Pro-Hunter 220's or Hornady 220 Interlocks?

Get a box of each and see what shoots most accurately out of your rifle. The only 30 cal 220's I've shot were the sierras out of my .308. Accuracy was very good, but I just wasn't willing to live with the velocity from the short barrel, 2150 was the best I could get out of the .308. Hornady makes great bullets and I have used the 250gr rn in 35 cal, it's also a very accurate bullet. I don't think you could go wrong with either bullet and I'd probably lean towards the hornady.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Neither: Woodleigh.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

either one will work great. What you accomplish with heavy-for-caliber is an overly long bullet what won't peel all the way back. They're usually fired at a lower velocity. Either will hold together, and I'm very doubtful that either would shed it's core. 30 caliber and below aint my cup o tea, but a heavy 200-220 30 cal is light years better than what's avail sub 30 cal.

There is no substitute for real weight. I've seen 180 grain fail safes stopped in smallish spike fork moose, not one exiting.

Another thing Ron, your rifle will run heavy bullets much better with a re-bore to 338-06 (all of 200 bucks). It'll still be an all-around rifle, but an absolute killing machine and IMO, far more versatile.

You'd be able to push a 300 grain roundnosed weldcore at about the same velocity as what the 06 would push a 220. This 338 bullet WILL exit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675...oint-box-of-50

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    You'd be able to push a 300 grain roundnosed weldcore at about the same velocity as what the 06 would push a 220. This 338 bullet WILL exit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675...oint-box-of-50
    I'd love to see some laboratory pressure data that shows a 338-06 pushing a 300gr bullet as fast as an -06 pushes a 220gr.

338-06 pushing 250's as fast as an -06 pushes 220's, feasible at a nominal 2400 fps.

A reasonable top speed for a 300gr in the 338-06 is 2100 fps, generally bullet weight and velocity are linear, so 250 gr @ 2500 fps, increase 10% and 275 gr @ 2300 fps, and increase 10% more 300 gr @ 2100 fps. To get 2400 fps you'll need a 338 win mag.

Nothing against the 338-06, but it is not a 338 win mag.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd love to see some laboratory pressure data that shows a 338-06 pushing a 300gr bullet .
    338/06 A Square
    Woodleigh 338 Mag .338 300gr RN SN #58
    Powder Type
    Powder Weight
    (grains)
    Velocity
    (fps)
    ADI AR2209/H4350
    53gr
    55gr

That's Woodleigh data...not 2400 fps but at 2266 its no slouch either. I have to agree with Mainer, when you start talking heavier bullets the 338/06 and 35 Whelen are tough to beat when compared to a .30-06.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have not tried Spear. 200 Norma Oryx and 200 Nosler Accubonds is all. If you had your choice would you go Sierra Pro-Hunter 220's or Hornady 220 Interlocks?
    I shoot Hornady and Sierra's both, not the bullets you are talking about, out of different calibers. I think either will work just fine. I have had no trouble with accuracy or killing of critters with either brand. From my experience 30-06's aren't that picky either, especially with the heavier bullets.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Re: 220 Sierra or Hornady for moose or bear

Gentlemen, my other rifle is a 375 H&H which is a better choice but I am looking for a good close second. The rebarrel is an interesting idea but I would like to get at least what is on it which is a nice ruger stainless which is quite a bit more on my m77 all weather. It might run as much as a good used 35 whelen or better. I am glad you guys are giving me some good ideas. Thanks.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast