Thread: CQB and Long range combined?

Default CQB and Long range combined?

Just wondering if anyone here has any REAL experience with a scope that works well for the CQB and long range together for an AR platform?

I know that these are a contradiction in terms but there are some possibilities out there and let me add another thought about adding illumination as well.

Any insights or input would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Define "long" range. I'm good with irons out to 300 or so. Others can do more. I would look at something like a 16" Larue PredatAR with a good 1-4 optic. You could also go the route of an Aimpoint or EoTech with a 3x magnifier. I am of the opinion that you're better off learning to be proficient out to 300y + with irons, plus the practice is lots of fun. It seems like a lot of guys feel like you need 10x to hit paper at 100y, that just isn't the case..

I've used the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 and Mark 6 1-6. Both are a good compromise, but for real CQB you need a red dot or holo and a short barrel.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default CQB and Long range combined?

Yes. I use a Trijicon TR-24. It's one of many 1x4 illuminated reticle scopes on the market. The best thing about it is no batteries. Hits out to 300 yd is easy. Fast use with both eyes open at close range. Expensive, but good glass.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

On two of My AR-15's I use this scope. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...cludes-metric/

I love this reticle: http://www.leupold.com/img/reticle/24/large/ .....and never use "Illuminated" dot thing, Infact after my tests, I just turned the battery over for long term storage.

I'm not on my phone now, so I can tell some more.

I ran a 1x4 through a two day carbine class. At no point did I feel handicapped in any way vs. running my red dot. I have actually run my scope vs. red dot on a timer doing drills and for me there is no time difference....for me. Being able to go prone, crank it to 4x and smoke 6" plates at 200 is pretty dang nice. I would not bother if your rifle isn't capable of decent accuracy at longer yardages.

I also would not run a 1x4 (or any magnified scope) on a self defense carbine without a quality QD mount and back up iron sights. No 1x4 or 1x6 is a true 1x at the lower end. It's not really possible to run irons through a scope like you can with a red dot sight. Quality QD mounts mean that you also return to zero every time. My Bobro mount on my rifle returns to zero EVERY time. I can take it off in seconds and run my irons. Unfortunately, quality QD mounts are expensive.

I'm having a custom ar built that will shoot 77 grn. 5.56 with a match barrel. It will shoot sub .5 MOA so I'm talking 500 to 600 yrds
    Semper Fi and God Bless

the Army uses the ACOG and red dots for a reason, I find the fine red dots do fine for the 300M range, and are quick to use with both eyes, the ACOG I haven't used for CQB, but the little playing around with it I did, the 3X was a little disorientating with both eyes open. It really is a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I'm having a custom ar built that will shoot 77 grn. 5.56 with a match barrel. It will shoot sub .5 MOA so I'm talking 500 to 600 yrds

I need to hear more about this rifle........Please.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I need to hear more about this rifle........Please.

I can't remember everything but the lower is milled out of a single piece and is thicker where it can be. There is a delay built in the firing so that the bolt doesn't unlock till the bullet has left the barrel. ( That idea came from Barrett fro the 50) that way you get bolt action accuracy from a semi. I do believe that it is a 1:7 twist and the barrel is a 650.00 barrel that is from Krieger. There is a few other things that I can't remember but is being built by a guy that does rifles for Delta Force and a few others
    Semper Fi and God Bless

What length barrel ????

I can't remember everything but the lower is milled out of a single piece and is thicker where it can be. There is a delay built in the firing so that the bolt doesn't unlock till the bullet has left the barrel. ( That idea came from Barrett fro the 50) that way you get bolt action accuracy from a semi. I do believe that it is a 1:7 twist and the barrel is a 650.00 barrel that is from Krieger. There is a few other things that I can't remember but is being built by a guy that does rifles for Delta Force and a few others
    Then don't even bother worrying about CQB. This isn't a CQB rifle. You will be handicapping this rifle by putting a 1x4 or 1x6 on it. You should be looking at a high quality scope designed for the work this rifle is built for. A minimum 4x12 or 4x16 of some sort. Mount it in a quality QD mount from Bobro or LaRue and run a set of folding backup iron sights. If you really see yourself using this rifle for close range self defense, you probably picked the wrong rifle for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What length barrel ????
    It will be 20" if I remember correctly. I should have the rifle in about 2 months

AKDoug, you are right. I do have another that will be set up strictly for CQB. The main function of this one is precision but will back up the other.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Re: CQB and Long range combined?

I agree with Doug. Put some nice glass in that puppy, mount it with QUALITY QD mounts and put some BUIS on it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You might consider the NF 2.5 x 10 x 32 compact NXS. I don't think you will find a better optic for the price. With all due respect to AKDoug, i don't think you need a 4x12 for 600 yd shooting. I've got a 5.5 x 22 NF and I can scope softball size targets @ 1000 yds on the 5.5 power and I don't have great eyes anymore. You have the 2.5 on the lower end which is a bonus. Once you get into the higher magnification variable scopes, you need to adjust for parallax and you don't have to worry about that with the 2.5 x 10. However, if you're doing competitive paper shooting to 600 yds, larger magnification is a plus. It also has an adjustable illuminated reticule although the adjustment is a bit of a pain.

http://nightforceoptics.com/compacts...ct-riflescope/

They also make a 1x4

http://nightforceoptics.com/compacts...ct-riflescope/

One of the ones that I was considering is the Bushnell 6500 elite
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default Re: CQB and Long range combined?

One of the ones that I was considering is the Bushnell 6500 elite
    Those are pretty decent scopes, but in that price range I would look hard at the Vortex PST.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Those are pretty decent scopes, but in that price range I would look hard at the Vortex PST.

Plus 1....

You are absolutely correct not needing a 4x12, but it sure is nice for a precision rifle. I am going to be running a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10 on my daughter's 6.8 build. A couple hundred cheaper than the PST because I didn't want/need an illuminated reticle and exposed turrets on a hunting rifle. I still think you give up too much with a 1x4 or 1x6 on a precision rifle, though.

If it's 600 bench competition, I agree and I might use something like a 12x42

http://nightforceoptics.com/benchres...ion-benchrest/

If shooting at steel, rocks, clay pidgeons, etc the 2.5 x 10 should do fine