Thread: Been owing this one to the forum for awhile...

Default Been owing this one to the forum for awhile...

Many many thanks to the folks who've shared their fishing trip stories and pictures here.

This one is ours from July and August 2011.

(might take me a bit to remember how to get some pictures up, so bear with me please)

It kind of started back in July of 2009 when a bunch of us from an internet fishing forum got the bright idea that it might be some good stuff to take a fishing trip to Alaska. My thanks to the guy who thunk it up originally, 'cause if not for him I'd have still been sitting here on my butt, ten miles west of the Gulf of Maine, wishing I'd get there someday. We"d all been fishing together before on a bunch of one and two day charters, some more frequently than others for the last five or six years and all of us had the vision of fulfilling the promise of dipping a line in some Alaska waters. So, thanks Captain Johnny, Bill, Mike, Alphonzo, and Marc for making this all happen.

As it turned out, six of us from that forum took the plunge, arranged some charters, housing, vehicles and travel plans and were looking forward to getting acquainted with the Kenai Peninsula. Two of the guys had been once before but the other four of us were rookies. It turned out that the eleven days we had planned for this trip were way way too short a time for such an incredible place.

July 18, 2011 rolled around and from airports in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and New York we winged it north and west.. And when you're a fisherman yup, hopes were flying high too. WOW, what an eye opener! Eleven to thirteen hours of flying and connecting flights later and sure e'nuf, it's still broad daylight in Anchorage! Makes "eyeballs pop out of your head" moment what with the spectacular scenery from the air. All us eastcoasters biological clocks took a bit of a razooing that day, lemme' tell 'ya.

(to be continued)

There's a pic or two from the salt as well as likewise from the fresh. I'll try to post the freshwater ones over in the other forum (probably screw it up a bit so cut me a bit of slack - hey, I'm a little rusty at this stuff

Well, that picture posting stuff did'nt go so bad leastwise the first one, so on to a bit more of the story.

Our plans were to do: 1. some offshore fishing - a one day trip down to Gore Point hoping for a chance at some ling as well as yellow eyes and other rockfish weather permitting and then, 2. a couple of days out of Anchor Point for some halibut. We lucked out on the weather ( a little snotty at times) but OK for getting offshore and were able to put some fish in the box. Nothing memorable size-wise with the halibut but e'nuf to bring home to share a taste with the family and friends and have a fisherman's platter or two (or three) back at camp.

I had the luck to haul in the biggest "fish" of the trip. Felt like reeling up an aircraft carrier. Check 'er out. LOL!

Being as we were there for an eleven day span, the rest of the time was spent between a trip on the lower Kenai trying our hands at a day of king fishing, running back and forth from Anchor Point (where the house we had rented was located) to Soldotna for a try at the sockeye run in the Kenai, and for some of our group, a fly-in trip over to the western shore of Cook Inlet for some silvers and then a charter out of Seward for some silvers and glacier scenery. Hopefully these pictures do it more justice than my scribbling.

Not the biggest halibuts landed in AK that day, but mighty fun by our reckoning. Mighty fine eating that size too.

While some of the guys cruised in Res Bay, I headed down south of Miller's Landing.

Nice break in the weather and not a bad backdrop!

Homer Point, kinda tough to beat

Think this was the haul from our first charter, down toward Gore Point.

The captain and mates on our offshore trips would have been hard pressed to have done a better job and make the trips even more fun.

Looks like you had a pretty good time and did well on the bottom fish. Congratulations.

Here's a few more offshore pics.

you didn't think we spent every minute fishing right? Here's some well deserved spoils of the fishing wars. Halibuts cheek were a new taste treat.

I think Colin, our mate on the boat had his picture taken with just about every fish. That young guy was enthusiastic BIG TIME

Nice, thanks for the pics,...looks like a great variety pack in the tote there,...well done

that's some Hearty Eating for your winter,...and, let me tell ya,....for sure,...
    those Halibut you have hanging there,...

Are Far and Away, the finest tasting stuff out there,...that's really what you want,...Enjoy
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

That's awesome. Thanks for posting.

Might be the odd couple or two pics that still kind of pertain to the salt. Lemme rummage around for a bit....

The size of these hooks, sinkers and jigs cracked us east coast boys up. In the Gulf of Maine if you're swinging weight over 16 oz. it's kinda rare. But hey, ya do whatcha gotta do to. Got the job done just fine. Think the worst tides we dealt with called for 4 lb but most often we got by with two.

Me, with Colin the ham! (mate) great the kid - great attitude. Looks like I had a cheek mighty full of Redman at the time. (Hey, you don't want to go about these things undergunned, right?)

Only having seen a tiny slice of Alaska, Res Bay sure seems incredibly beautiful.

Yup, there's a pic or two more.

A fair number of these pics were taken by the other guys along on this trip. I ain't entirely positive of all the locations so I'll let them speak for themselves. There's some Gore Point trip stuff and some Resurection Bay stuff that's easy for me to confuse. Guess I need to get back to refresh my memory.

Yet a pic or two more.

Anyway it's the finest kind of scenery, eh?

Nice set of pics. Fishing with Key-O's guide service? The young mate is Hunter, not Colin I believe. I agree that he is a ham!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Good on you for taking the plunge. I did it in '76, then went home and started selling all my stuff. You know why, it is a magical place full of great folks.
    Your pictures speak for themselves. Looks like the boys had a blast.

Thanks for sharing.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I'm glad y'all enjoyed your trip. Very nice photos, Thanks for sharing.

Default Been owing this one to the forum for awhile...

Nice pics!! Thanks for sharing!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Always fun to see it through a visitor`s eyes. Thanks for the post.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Well, amid a bit of confusion and no small amount of delay, there's some pics, stories and thank-yous over on the freshwater forum.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...36#post1232236

Plenty of laughs on this trip, so here's a bit of video foolishness.

Oops