Thread: Suggestions for tomorrow in Anchorage?

Default Suggestions for tomorrow in Anchorage?

Hi guys,

My brother is visiting from Australia and would like to try ice fishing.

This is my first winter here so I havent tried it yet and have no idea where to begin.

I dont have an auger but I remember someone telling me that I could potentially just go to some of the more popular lakes and break open some holes that were left from the day before?
    Is that really possible?

Can anybody suggest to us a popular lake to try this at?
    Also, what should we bring with us other than warm clothing and fishing gear?

thanks in advance
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

You can normally get lucky at little Campbell.

I don't think you could just go break through an old hole with as cold as it's been, but ice fishermen for the most part are a pretty friendly bunch, I know I don't mind lending my auger to someone trying it for the first time.
    Sand lake is always a good spot to catch fish, although not large ones (in my experience) and there are ALWAYS people out there on weekends. I'd wait til 1000 or 1100 or so if I was you though, just so you're not twiddling your thumbs, waiting for someone to show up.
    In addition to whatever jigs/baits you're bringing, make sure to bring some shrimp! The fish can't resist 'em.
    I don't know if you plan on going more than just this once or not, but a hand auger is a good investment and you can find them on craislist for pretty cheap. That's all I use and I go almost every weekend.
    Hope that helps, have fun!

Try going to Sand Lake, Jewel Lake, or Delong Lake you should be able to find holes at any of these. shrimp and eggs work well for bait.

I used a small stick to poke holes on Campbell. But u never know until u look.

The overnight temperatures will be well above freezing, so I doubt an auger is going to be necessary.

Be sure to bring rain gear and ice skates, cleats or crampons, or maybe a canoe if we get all of the rain that is forecasted.

There are a bunch of holes at Cambell lake that only had an inch or two of ice on top. Be sure to bring a ice pick or something.

You should have some luck finding fresh holes if you go out to Little Campbell or Jewel around 2-3pm on Sat or Sun. Balls o Fire seems to catch the most fish.

Sodabiscuit, I was actually just reading a thread that you started about surfcasting for halibut. My wife and I are going to get into that this summer. Have you had any luck the last couple summers?

Thanks for the info guys. I just got back to Anchorage now and its pretty nasty out here.

If the rain keeps up we might do it sometime this week instead.

Are those ~$45 augers at Sportsmans durable? Might be worth it if we fish a few times while he's here.

Cubbies send me a PM and we'll discuss the Halibut surf fishing.

If you decided to buy a hand powered auger you MUST get an ice chipper as well. With the thick dense ice we have it will literally take hours to get through with just an auger (trust me). But if you get a chipper and rough up the surface then the auger actually gets some work done. Chip, auger, chip, auger...Me and a buddy can fire out two hours in 10 minutes that way...even in 20+ inches of dense ice! Good luck.

With a hand auger and sharp blades I can drill through 25 " of ice in under a minute. Hand augers are good if you're just drilling a few holes.

Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the tips.

We ended up going to Jewel lake and caught several fish. Mostly on the small side but man did my brother enjoy it.
    He actually said: "i cant believe Im sight fishing...while ice fishing."
    So that means there were a lot of fish swimming around.

We met a really nice guy who let us borrow his auger but as we were about to use it, we realized there were 3 nice holes ready for us to fish.

I was having too much fun fishing instead of taking pics, so I took pics of what we did with the trout we kept. Deep-fried heads and tails and pan fried the rest.

Thanks again for all the advice it was really helpful. Man, ice fishing is really great. I think Im gonna get myself an Auger now.
    laters
    Attached Images Attached Images