Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide school

Default Guide school

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has ever gone to or know someone who has been to an alaskan guide school, ive been looking at the guide school that alaska mountian safaris does? any info on anything about guide school would be much appriciated

Why go to guide school...just curious

Default Guide school

I had always thought guide school was called packer.

Fithians have one in Kenny Lake and Terry Overly has one in Solo Creek. Guide schools are great for teaching how to care for horses.
    However, if you are going to pay for training for something that would be valuable or able to get you hired I would spend a year and get an AP certification and then learn to weld. On the side, you should learn website design and video production.

I would contact a lot of guides in person if you can. Offer to do anything that comes.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There's no money in Guiding! That said... It can be rewarding, beyond money. At least for me it is. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it!! It "COSTS" me several thousand dollars to guide a hunt! (time away from work and wages) And, I've yet to make more than I lost. Guiding can be what you want it to be.. I am only an Assistant Guide... So, what do I know?... haha

All joking aside... Just contact a reputable Guide and tell him your goals. I'm sure you will have a job in the field by Spring Bear season..

a guide school isnt' going to make you a guide, it might help you learn a few neat tricks and give someone else some free labor though. being a guide i think is more a personality trait, a good hunter can be a horrible guide. its about people and working with a stranger every day, establishing a relationship to the point of trusting them behind you with a gun in about 10 min. not sure what start up wages are nowdays, but it ain't really pretty unless your single and have other part time jobs you do.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

'Cub, You mean you also have a "real" job?! <grin>

Hope all is well J.....

so I will add my opinion.. Supercub said it" there is no money in guiding" so it has to be a passion. Of course some make money but you can bet they offset hunting with transporting,fishing or something.. If you want to be a guide to hunt again it may not be for you,in my opinion guiding is only about 30 percent or less hunting.. Jake said it right too a good hunter can be a bad guide.. On the line of what Jake was sayin you also have to learn the strengths and weakeness's of a client, lear when they are gettin down and out, learn to take a break even when they say they are ok,learn to calm them down when they are over excited just before the shot...just lots of things.. I dont care for the guide schools for those who are serious about becoming a guide(no disrespect to any of em though). I honestly just dont believe you will be any further ahead when it comes time to be a guide,meaning most guides will not just turn over a client to you if you have never guided a hunt.. I also think some of the things like horse wrangling are mostly a waste in Alaska,maybe they should teach you to tie down a supercub...that would be more useful I honestly thinK you should do as supercub suggested and find a "reputable" guide and contact him.. Your resume will be miles ahead if you break in with a well known guide. If you are just looking to get your feet wet and learn a bit then by all means sign up for guide school as it does seem you learn quite a bit...

I, too, thought guide school was called "packer"...

Still (after a lot of years and a lot of education) believe the best way to learn anything is by doing it alongside someone who knows how.

If you're serious about being a world class guide- go work for one and learn everything they'll teach you.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

revelation mountain outfitters has the only alaska guide " school " that I know of, check out the website for more info www.alaskahunts.net
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    revelation mountain outfitters has the only alaska guide " school " that I know of, check out the website for more info www.alaskahunts.net
    according to the board these are the only two approved for obtaining a licenses...dont know about Dingess's course though

Board Approved Training Courses
    for Assistant Guide

The Board has approved the following assistant guide training courses. Completion of these courses will meet the requirements of AS 08.54.630(4)(B) and 12 AAC 75.130(5).

Pioneer Outfitters (Terry Overly, Master Guide-Outfitter)
    Phone: (907) 734-0007
    Email: info@pioneeroutfitters.com

Alaska Mountain Safaris (Robert Fithian, Master Guide-Outfitter)
    Phone: (907) 822-3410
    Email: hunting@akmountainsafaris.com

As others have said, it is not necessary to go to a guide school to become a guide in AK. It has been over ten years since I have guided and the rules may have changed a little but this is how it use to go.

To become an assistant guide one must be a packer for a registered guide for at least two years and the registered guide can get you an assistant guide license. My employer at the time made sure I knew how to properly skin, flesh, and prepare all hides, antlers, horns etc to be prepared and ready for the taxidermist. This includes turning the ears, lips, nose, eyes etc. and how to prepare hides for a shoulder mount or a life size or bear rug. He also made sure I knew how to butcher the game and how to legally salvage all the meat required.

Additionally he taught me how to hunt mostly by way of spot and stalk method, but also utilizing other techniques such as calling etc.

To become a registered guide, I had to be an assistant guide for at least three years, and then I had to obtain 8 letters of recommendation from 8 different clients who I successfully guided. Then I had to send them into the Division of Occupation Licensing in Juneau.

After that I had to take a general knowledge test that had questions on everything from wildlife behavior, camp duties, safety, use of rifles etc.

And lastly I had to take a unit test on the unit I was testing for to guide in. I stopped guiding shortly after obtaining my registered guide license.

You can also obtain a master guide license but not sure how.

Hope this helps.

master guide license is 15 consecutive years as a guide, 12 of them as a registered and 26 letters of recommendation. i'll get mine as soon as i have enough money laying around for the renewal...

the two approved schools you'll note are active guys in the APHA and friends of the board head of BGCSB...dingess probably isn't going to get any approval. politicin'
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    To become an assistant guide one must be a packer for a registered guide for at least two years and the registered guide can get you an assistant guide license.
    I know things have changed, but I had to take a written test first just to become an assistant guide. Shows you how long ago that was.

As far as a guide school goes, if a person is a total greenhorn to hunting, meaning he knows absolutely nothing about it, then it probably wouldn't be a bad idea as a way to "learn". But as was mentioned, guiding is a lot more than knowing how to hunt. To some extent you have to be a "people person" for sure.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

i'd say to a large extent you need to a "people person" equal portion avid selfless hunter, you'll learn right quick it ain't about you...guides are the fail safe scapegoat if things go wrong or if clients aren't happy....basicly a client is never wrong. if you can swallow that pill and keep your mouth shut you'll be ok.
    Master guide 212

surely a accomplishment to be proud of, the master guide license. are you saying the guide schools just get approved of the head of the school knows somebody in power? and the system is not fare or honest?
    great info as allways.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    master guide license is 15 consecutive years as a guide, 12 of them as a registered and 26 letters of recommendation. i'll get mine as soon as i have enough money laying around for the renewal...

the two approved schools you'll note are active guys in the APHA and friends of the board head of BGCSB...dingess probably isn't going to get any approval. politicin'

fair or honest? you know and honest fair system somewhere....?
    i'm just saying it seems coincidental, thats all.
    thanks wes, you should friend me on facebook sometime.
    Master guide 212

Default lol

Wow....the man in black runs a guide school?.. . Thats pretty scary. Yeah just contact an outfitter and work your butt off for a few seasons. Chances are you wont make it (dont let me discourage you, its just that most dont have the drive for it and there r lots easier ways to make a living) but if in fact you do have what it takes: remember that most of us that have found a way to make a living at this gig got paid to learn(at least something)...we didnt pay someone to teach us. The better guides have learned from many different people over a very long time....its not arithmetic... Ya cant teach it in a class, and ya cant learn it without being out there and seeing what its all about. Guide schools are a joke in my mind. go invest your back, your knees, lots of sweat, some blood, some blisters, some misery, any relationship/girlfriend/wife you might have, and and any misconception that you allready know how to hunt...go invest all that to any number of good outiffters out there for three solid spring/fall seasons. ...then come back here and let us know if you could imagine learning all you just learned in some **** guide school...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast