Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: What is your favorite halibut line

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default What is your favorite halibut line

    I think almost all would agree that the new braid is the way to go. What is your favorite brand and weight?

  2. #2
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Daiwa dendo PE-5

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Daiwa dendo PE-5
    Same here. If you haven`t tried it yet you are missing out on some good stuff. My next two choices would be Sufix and Tuff-Line XP.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  4. #4
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    At first it was original Tuff-line, the white stuff with the black (dacron) thread in it to give it some body. Then they went to Tuff-line plus and it was pure spectra and way too limp, fished fine but really prone to loop around rod tip. Tuff-line XP helped this a little, but not enough IMO. The original was a little large in diameter, but still way less than regular dacron or mono.

    Now, I have been using PowerPro for the last 8-10 years, like the 80# best on bigger rigs, 65# or 50# are fine too on smaller reels. The 80# and higher super braids are great to not break, and you can pull most snags loose even if you have to bend the hook, and never have a fish break off...and hell because they won't break if you are truly snagged. Yep, just use a lower strength mono leader... 50# will hold any halibut anyway, but why take a chance if you have the reel capacity for higher strength? Only downside of PowerPro I can ascertain is that the color fades after a while, but doesn't that happen on all super braids?

    So, I have heard about the Daiwa Dendro on the forum last couple of years, sure, I will try it...what is better about it though??

  5. #5

    Default

    I was given a 1200 meter spool of 100 lb test Pelagic Spectra extreme braid. Don't know anything about it other than it came from Australia and that I like the "feel" of it. Anyone here familiar with the stuff?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    At first it was original Tuff-line, the white stuff with the black (dacron) thread in it to give it some body. Then they went to Tuff-line plus and it was pure spectra and way too limp, fished fine but really prone to loop around rod tip. Tuff-line XP helped this a little, but not enough IMO. The original was a little large in diameter, but still way less than regular dacron or mono.

    Now, I have been using PowerPro for the last 8-10 years, like the 80# best on bigger rigs, 65# or 50# are fine too on smaller reels. The 80# and higher super braids are great to not break, and you can pull most snags loose even if you have to bend the hook, and never have a fish break off...and hell because they won't break if you are truly snagged. Yep, just use a lower strength mono leader... 50# will hold any halibut anyway, but why take a chance if you have the reel capacity for higher strength? Only downside of PowerPro I can ascertain is that the color fades after a while, but doesn't that happen on all super braids?

    So, I have heard about the Daiwa Dendro on the forum last couple of years, sure, I will try it...what is better about it though??
    I put it on one reel last year as one of mine got spooled by a porpoise, and that would be nothing.....At least that I can tell.....Power Pro is just fine - dang good in my opinion.

  7. #7
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    As far as I can find, Daiwa Dendoh PE-5 is a reel, and the only Dendo(h) line I can find is Daiwa Saltiga is listed as the line for Dendoh reels, it is color coded for depth every 30 meters, with 5 and 1 meter additional marks...Paul is this the line? $60 for a 300 meter spool of 80# at TackleDirect...any other sources?? Didn't find any on Amazon, Ebay or Cabelas...1800 meters is $250, a pretty good discount for quantity. About half again the price of PowerPro, and I didn't find anything special about it online, couldn't get the Daiwa site to load to find more than the retail places list, so what's great about Dendo (Saltiga??) line?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    As far as I can find, Daiwa Dendoh PE-5 is a reel, and the only Dendo(h) line I can find is Daiwa Saltiga is listed as the line for Dendoh reels, it is color coded for depth every 30 meters, with 5 and 1 meter additional marks...Paul is this the line? $60 for a 300 meter spool of 80# at TackleDirect...any other sources?? Didn't find any on Amazon, Ebay or Cabelas...1800 meters is $250, a pretty good discount for quantity. About half again the price of PowerPro, and I didn't find anything special about it online, couldn't get the Daiwa site to load to find more than the retail places list, so what's great about Dendo (Saltiga??) line?
    It`s actually PE-4 Dendoh...just went withwhat Paul stated until you mentioned it.

    It is very slick, lays very nice on the spool for great capacity, metered (I like this for many reasons), quiet through the guide,s and is very small in diameter in most common weights. I usually run 55# on a 60 series spinning reel for most things and 70# on a conventional reel. I haven`t found anything I don`t like about this Diawa line....which is a rare thing for me with fishing gear.

    Sufix has more body and seems bulletproof over the last 4 years but doesn`t cast as well, is a bit larger in diameter, and isn`t metered.

    For the Tuff-Line XP...it has what I like too (metered) although it is a bit of a saw going through the guides.

    Ultimately I think it's a taster`s choice kinda thing just like rods/reels. I get a decent discount so I run the Dendoh and have no problems.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    FBX
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I use 80lb Gudebrod dacron backing. Then I use 65lb PowerPro for my main line. I doubt any halibut I would normally be fishing for will bother it. As my terminal tackle uses mono for the rigging. The 65lb works nice and is thin. Less drag from the current. I would think charter folks would use a slight bit heavier line to be a bit more careful.

  10. #10
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    I dont have a favorite, I usually get power pro or tuffline, whichever is on sale. I do try to run all my reels with different color line, so sometimes that dictates what line I buy. I do want to try out that daiwa line, have heard good reviews from some of the forum members
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  11. #11
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    And also, I go 80lb test on all my bottom fish rods, except for 1 lighter weight jigging rod, I put 65lb on it
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  12. #12

    Default

    I use PowerPro for all of my fishing applications---80 lb. for halibut. The problem with saying "I use PowerPro" (or most lines for that matter) is that all of the major manufacturers make a variety of lines. PowerPro makes a line they call "Super 8 Slick" that looks interesting, though their "regular" braid works just fine for me, so why change things that work? I purchase it primarily because it is the least expensive braid where I purchase my line. I like the feel of it, but I have a feeling if someone put TUF-Line or Daiwa Shinobi on my reels when I wasn't looking I wouldn't know it.

    IMHO these days there's really very little difference between the various brands other than their own marketing strategy. PowerPro uses "Enhanced Body Technology" and Daiwa's Shinobi Braid Super PE uses "PE" which is their way of saying they use polyethylene. Not sure what the "Super" in the name refers to though I'm sure their marketing department had something to do with that. TUF-Line has Tension Lock Technology incorporated into it whatever that is. Supposedly their line is "braided under high tension" but I'd bet if you looked at how PowerPro is made it's braided under high tension, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    It`s actually PE-4 Dendoh...just went withwhat Paul stated until you mentioned it.
    Actually it isn't named "Dendoh" but is their Dendoh "recommended" line as Capn Ron said. They have a number of lines that have different names for different applications.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  14. #14
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    I picked up a 2500 yards pool of 80 pound power pro a couple years ago at trustworthy and it seems to be working fine. I don't get a lot of hours on my lines though (at least if you ask me).....

  15. #15
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Tuf Line XP Indicator 80 pound test. It takes the guessing out of how much line you got out.

  16. #16
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Last year down the row from me at the Sportsman's Show in Anchorage there was a guy selling big spools of braided line,anybody get any of that and how did it work out for you ??

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    284

    Default

    We have been using Power Pro 80# test for the last number of years - with different colors on the reels. We never felt the need to try anything else because it seemed to do everything our little group wanted it to do and held up pretty well to abrasion when we got around coral patches or toothy arrowtooth. We keep checking the line closest to the jigs (or spreaders if we are using salmon for bait) and cut it off and re-tie (Palomar) if there is any sign of wear and tear. I put some PP 65# on a deep drop rod but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

  18. #18
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Well, everyone makes sense to me....the PowerPro Super8Slick is something I just tried last year on a spinning reel for my son, it seems to lay nicer in that application than the other braids I have tried, using the 30#...comes in a purdy blue that is easy to distinguish from other line colors...it is a lot more expensive that regular PowerPro so I won't be using it on my conventional reels. Yep, I got a 1500yd spool each of 80# and 65# PowerPro at a bargain on Ebay so I will be using it for awhile, but that was before I got the forum wisdom to use different colors, and it is all moss green, so anything new I get will be other colors...that is a great tip!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Well, everyone makes sense to me....the PowerPro Super8Slick is something I just tried last year on a spinning reel for my son, it seems to lay nicer in that application than the other braids I have tried, using the 30#...comes in a purdy blue that is easy to distinguish from other line colors...it is a lot more expensive that regular PowerPro so I won't be using it on my conventional reels. Yep, I got a 1500yd spool each of 80# and 65# PowerPro at a bargain on Ebay so I will be using it for awhile, but that was before I got the forum wisdom to use different colors, and it is all moss green, so anything new I get will be other colors...that is a great tip!
    "all moss green" Been there, done that. A mix of colors is definitely easier to untangle, especially with 60 year old eyes. I do stay away from white, however. All the other colors, particularly the darker ones, loose a lot of color if they get badly scuffed, drawing your attention to what may be weak spots in the line. I have broken off white line, which looks the same, scuffed or not, more than all other colors combined.

    Big_E

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Actually it isn't named "Dendoh" but is their Dendoh "recommended" line as Capn Ron said. They have a number of lines that have different names for different applications.
    I understand. That`s why I wrote PE-4...the spool clearly denotes that it is PE-4 (Dendoh) which is Saltiga 55# boat braid line. Don`t ask me, I didn`t name it! You are correct, it is designed and recommended for the Dendoh series of large spooled electrics. Yes, I do see your point that it can be confusing to just call it Dendoh. I suppose if you just walked into the store and said put 'Dendoh' on that reel...you probably just get a blank stare back. Unless of course I go to my favorite shop and I ask for Dendoh...this usually results in me getting exactly what I want `cause they know what I use and sold me most of the reels. .


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •