Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our new family member

Default Our new family member

Looks like I am going to be hanging around in here a little more often. After 15 years we had to put down our German Wirehaired Pointer this past spring and it was one of the hardest things we have ever done. I had not been able to hunt with her for the past 5 years because of her health and she just didnt have it in her any more. After she passed my wife did not really want to get another dog, but I think we both missed her more that either cared to admit. We started looking into other breeds that were as natural a hunter as the wirehairs and also just as good a house dogs and found the Large Munsterlander breed. After talking with the only breeder we could find in Alaska for the past 6 months we got a call to let us know that he had a litter and there was one of the two female's of the litter available if we wanted it.

The pups were born 26 Dec so they will not be ready for a bit, but he sent us pics and will be sending more as they grow and develop their personalities and skills. I have had several shorthairs and the one wirehair so this will be a whole new game and I look forward to many trips to the hills with her!

Here is a link to an adult Munsterlander for comparison.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Sorry for the loss of your prior family member. Something like that is never easy. I'm happy for the new addition though! She looks adorable! I'm sure she will make an excellent hunting companion too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    The pups were born 26 Dec so they will not be ready for a bit, but he sent us pics and will be sending more as they grow and develop their personalities and skills. I have had several shorthairs and the one wirehair so this will be a whole new game and I look forward to many trips to the hills with her!

Were they out of cute ones? Go easy, I'm kidding.
    She's a great looking pup. Congrats on getting her! A new pup is the best.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Congratulations on 15 years of sharing great times with your GWP. 15 years cannot occur without lots of loving interaction from you and your family, as well as good care.

Beautiful new puppy!
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Precious little pup! Congratulations and best of luck to you and your family.

Jim

Good lucking pup, Cory. We brought home a little black lab pup to fill a void recently as well. Enjoy her!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Congrats...I think you will be pleased with the breed. Good Luck

Congrats...... I wish you many good years hunting with your new partner.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Great choice in a breed. Very versatile and a good looking hunting dog. I read up on them a bit and they make a great addition to the family as well. A new chapter begins, when will she move in?

Thanks Mark! I love your setter as well, but we couldnt find a breeder anywhere nearby with a litter... We will be picking her up sometime around the 17th of Feb! Looking forward to getting out with her!

Real sorry to hear about the loss of your GWP Cory but it is good to see you found a suitable replacement and she looks cute as can be. Can't wait to hear how she turns out. I have never seen one in person but from what I have hears and read they are a great bird and family dog!

Thanks Mark! I love your setter as well, but we couldnt find a breeder anywhere nearby with a litter... We will be picking her up sometime around the 17th of Feb! Looking forward to getting out with her!
    I had to go out of state to find a llewellin breeder. Perhaps when spring rolls around we'll see you around. Are you out at JBER? If so, perhaps they can run together. Rigby rolls with me everywhere and my job has me on base almost everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I had to go out of state to find a llewellin breeder. Perhaps when spring rolls around we'll see you around. Are you out at JBER? If so, perhaps they can run together. Rigby rolls with me everywhere and my job has me on base almost everyday.
    Im on the Elmendorf side and live in Eagle River. We'll have to get the pups together after we get her!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Real sorry to hear about the loss of your GWP Cory but it is good to see you found a suitable replacement and she looks cute as can be. Can't wait to hear how she turns out. I have never seen one in person but from what I have hears and read they are a great bird and family dog!
    Thanks Rob! I think we made the right choice! Looking forward to getting her home!

Dude, you bought a guinea pig!? Just joking. What a little sweetheart! Pretty amazing how puppy breath can just make a day happen. So very cool to start over and watch the world unfold for her.
    Did you name her? Regardless, same wish for her as I sent for Rigby. Sure hope you are trainable and can shoot adequately.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Sure hope you are trainable and can shoot adequately.
    ARR
    Thats my biggest fear!! I can't handle that kind of pressure! Her name is Bailee! (My daughters choice)

Default Congrats

After talking with the only breeder we could find in Alaska for the past 6 months we got a call to let us know that he had a litter and there was one of the two female's of the litter available if we wanted it.

The pups were born 26 Dec so they will not be ready for a bit, but he sent us pics and will be sending more as they grow and develop their personalities and skills.

Is this one of Don's pups? I have seen his dogs on the field and I am sure you will enjoy your pup. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Is this one of Don's pups? I have seen his dogs on the field and I am sure you will enjoy your pup. Congrats!
    Yes, it is Dons! I have heard great things about his dogs!

Sorry to hear about your Wirehaired. I know how tough it can be. Good luck with the new pup, just make sure you start fresh and don't compare her to your last dog.

Very nice looking pup!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Still 3-4 weeks away, but time is flying so she will be home in no time! The pups are getting bigger, more active and developing personalities now! Don said he will be introducing the pups to a live quail this week and start working with them. All his pups compete in the navhda trials so I am going to be working with him on the training and do what I can make a real good bird dog out of her!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast