Thread: 270 Winchester Help

Default 270 Winchester Help

I was trying to load up some 270 amo today. Using Reloader 22, first time for this powder. My Bible said that the mim was 62 gr and the max was 66 gr for this powder. So I decided to load a few at 64 gr and see how that works. Will 64 gr fills the case to the top of the neck, level full. I think that the powder would compress when the bullet was seated, but it would be tight. I was a little afraid to try it. Has anyone used this powder on the 270 and does anyone have a thought on this tight compression on this powder. Thanks Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

You can always attach a longer drop tube to the funnel and you should be able to get more into the case. Not sure how the burn rate of RL22 compares to H4831 but the 4831 has been my go to powder for decades for the 270.
    I would shoot the 62 grain load first and go from there. If 64grains can fit into the case and pressure signs are low I would go a slightly faster powder.
    Whats your bullet weight?

The bullet is 130 gr Barnes TSX. With the 64 gr of powder it should produce about 3175 FPS. My concern is that I have never compressed powder as much as I will have to to get ether 62 or 64 gr of this powder into the case. Not wanting to have a problem, so asking for advise from some one that has more knowledge than me on this. Thanks Dan

RL22 is 4-6 steps slower than 4831. If you are filled to the top of the neck there is no way to seat the bullet. A drop tube will help to align the powder and aids in better case fill when 100% fill is needed.

If your load is a mid level charge and you are topped off I would suspect the test data versus yours is referencing different cases. Since sizing makes all cases the same size outside the heavier cases are smaller inside, that makes them hold less powder. Winchester is generally a lighter case when compared to others, that lets them hold more powder. If the example is referencing a Winchester case and you are using a Federal you would run into issues like you are talking about. I've had friends bring over fired Federal cases and they are quite a bit heavier than virgin Winchester.

I always look at the case, primer and barrel length of the test data when considering the info for my applications. If you have a shorter barrel you might consider a faster powder, one in the recommended column that uses less charge. If you're getting a lot of flash you should also consider a faster powder.

I'm not sitting in front of a manual right now but 66gr of any powder seems like a lot of juice to be stuffing into a 270Win case. Check your data one more time and make sure you're not looking at a different type of 270 cartridge. Off the top of my head a 30-06 case is pretty full when stuffed with 57gr of 4350 and it's the foundation that the 270 is built from.

I would never try it without working up but I don't think you can get enough RL22 in a 270 case to hurt anything. I have a 350Rem Mag and I was using 4895. Working up to the max book load filled the case to the top. Put my finger over the end and held the case to my vibrator which jiggled the powder down to the bottom of the short neck then forced a bullet in. The bullets kept pushing back out. I don't mind slightly compressed but I don't know how some of the loads listed are even possible. If it were me, I would try a ball powder with similar burn rate.

marshall you are 100% right, I had my data wrong. On the wrong page. I did not think this was right, so that is why I asked some questions. The rl22 should have been 54 gr and not 64gr. proof again that you need to double check your load info. My normal load for this 270 is 46 gr of 4064 with a 130 gr bullet. This has worked very good for years but was wanting to try something different.Snowwolfe how many gr of the 4831 do you use and what kind of FPS do think you are getting. Thanks Dan

Glad to see you got it figured out. I was digging out my load books when I saw your last post. Could have been scary if you had tried to stuff that mono-bullet into a case filled up to the top with powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    marshall you are 100% right, I had my data wrong. On the wrong page. I did not think this was right, so that is why I asked some questions. The rl22 should have been 54 gr and not 64gr. proof again that you need to double check your load info. My normal load for this 270 is 46 gr of 4064 with a 130 gr bullet. This has worked very good for years but was wanting to try something different.Snowwolfe how many gr of the 4831 do you use and what kind of FPS do think you are getting. Thanks Dan
    I'm a little late to the thread, but 57-59 grains is where you want to be. IME I need an extra 1-1.5 grains of RL 22 when using Winchester cases rather than Remington for similar velocity. When using 130 grain bullets and starting with a new lot of powder I'll start at 56 grains and work up till I get 3100 fps (22 inch barrel) and call it good...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

h-4831 that's the standard for the 270