Thread: Hoolies at 20 mile?

Default Hoolies at 20 mile?

been out there a couple times in the past week. two days ago and two days before that.nothing each time was wondering if anyone has had any luck today or yesterday??

dipping on high tide or low? Once the flood tide hits the hooly dipping ends, until the come in thick. go about 3 hours before high tide you should get a few, plus they could come in thick any day now...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ive been dipping as you said around 2-3 hours before high tide, before the water starts raising while the channel there is thin. im thinkin any day now they are gonna be all over the place down there. just gotta guess which day thats gonna be. ;p

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Went to 20 mile last night ,was there dipping 2 hours before up to when the high tide came in,nothing but a cold wind but it was great to be out,nice sunset.

Default hooligan

We used to do that on the 20 mle in the mid 70's. My dads friend Art Drabeck and us would dip net down there. Always had a great time! Art would smoke them up and can them. I remember them being good eating, but haven't had any since that time. Sure would like to try them again!

try at the outlet of one of those deepish ponds right after virgin creek and not the 20mile proper too the streams flowing in give you gravel to stand on which is good and I bet early ones like the freshwater trickle thats slightly different then the rest of turnagain arm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

We went to 20 mile last night, (BTW the gas price went up at the bird creek gas station, it used to be cheaper to fill up here then in town.) We saw some great "signs" that the hooligans were in, lots of loons, seagulls etc...even saw people driving back into town with nets strapped on to their vehicles, the biggest clue was the highway dept. has put out caution, 45mph signs where we dip. we caught nothing, the folks that were there caught nothing as well. Maybe this weekend?

P.S. we have tried on the incomming tide, the outgoing tide, even watched the bore tide come in, still no luck for us yet.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

When it says high tide for Anchorage, what is the difference for 20 mile and placer 1.5 hr or 2 thanks.

I drove by today at low tide and saw about a dozen groups fishing.....didn't seem to be doing any good but did not take the time to talk with anyone....didn't want to walk through the mud or yell at
    'em

Is anyone catching Hooligan yet?