Thread: thoughts on winchester model 100, 308

Default thoughts on winchester model 100, 308

Just found a win model 100, 308 at my local gun shop what experiences good or bad can you all let me in on?

Very good rifle but like all autos somewhat ammo picky so reduces your options a little. In 308 there are a lot of options out there though. The magazines are just about imposable to get. Not a gun for everybody but a good rifle, give it a try, like any Winchester if you donít like it I doubt you loose much money on selling it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

came with 3 magazines, only honest wear on it. Pre 64, hand cut checkering. Im pretty pleased. Do you know why discontinued.. im wondering about a design flaws im may be up against.

I always thought they were handy little rifles. I believe that Winchester just decided they were to expensive to manufacture at a sell-able price and disco'ed them and the M88.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Roughly how much do they want for it......??? A Little Side Note: I shot my very first charging Black Bear with a Win. M-100 in .308 back in 1970 just up the Hope Road a wee piece.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Some of you must know Lance T. former head of Habitat at F&G. In about 70' three of us were engaged in unofficial Porcupine control. Back then there were thousands of porcupines, I don't know why. I shot 74 in 60 days that summer. (In case you are prone to being judgmental, save it.....I don't care).

So we were shooting porky-pines between Los Anchorage and lovely Hope, Alaska. It was about 11:PM mid-May and the last, or nearly last light. We were on the rough "Dirt" road that was the Hope Road. Roughly mile 9'ish. We saw a large'ish Black Bear cross the road, and we pulled up and stopped at the spot.

Now Lance and the other guy both had .22 LR pistols only. I had a Winchester model 100 in .308 Win. w/ a tip-off scope.

So we are all on the passenger's side of the truck, and we are listening to this God awful crying and thrashing just fifteen or twenty feet away. It went on and on, and we figured that it was a sow spanking and driving cubs up a tree.

It was almost dark, and we could hear the crashing coming to us, In one heart beat a bear busted out of the dark woods/alders/willows from about six or eight feet, coming straight a Lance T. With out thinking From the hip I shot the bear as it was with-in a foot or two of Lance T. The bear turned and went 180* the way it had come, back into the dark woods.

Now all Hell broke-out 15 feet away, crying and thrashing, and crashing, and it is now dark-dark. The story is getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I tipped off the scope, went in after the wounded bear (Which was hit center behind the shoulder). I skillfully missed the badly wounded bear three times form 10 feet with iron sights. The bear was just thrashing around NOT coming at me. I eventually flipped the scope back up, and could clearly see the bear and finished it.

OK, This is what is educational. There were NO bear cubs. The first thing I encountered on entering the woods was a day old moose calf that had a bite in the small of the back and very alive but paralyzed. Next at about 10 feet was the wounded bear thrashing around, and a P!zzed'off cow that was about 12 feet away and lurching at the bear. The calf was crying, the cow was exhaling hard, and the bear was flopping around and crying also.

We figured that what happened is that we had not seen the cow and calf cross the road, only the bear right behind. And after the bear bit the calf in the small of the back, the cow charged the bear, and the bear retreating from the cow ran straight at Lance T. The bear was trapped between the truck and the cow. Wow I am exhausted. Someone here must know Lance

Sorry.....I got carried away.......then tried to delete the story, But it was to late. Would a kind moderator please delete the story.....Thank you.

gave six bills for it

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sorry.....I got carried away.......then tried to delete the story, But it was to late. Would a kind moderator please delete the story.....Thank you.
    Heck no! That was the best entertainment I had all year! Granted we arenít very far into the year but even so . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    gave six bills for it
    I think You done fine at $600. Havenít looked in a couple years but those magazines would bring aboyt $90 or $100 each on Gunbroker last I looked! They will fit an 88 too but the bolt stop needs to be nipped off.

100 and 88 have a bit of a flimsy stock because the inletting is so big. 100 and 88 are tricky to bed well because of where the mounting screw is way up the forearm. No real flaws in them, if you like sport-autos I think youíll love it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

One word of advice-

DO NOT remove the slide in the course of cleaning unless you're real sure about what you're doing. The return spring on the 100 is about a mile long and skinny. First time I took apart a 100 back when you could buy the model new off the shelf, that spring popped free and took off like something from NASA. Too bad I was outdoors, because we never found it. I shudder to think what it would be like to track down a replacement today.

Great gun, and I'd have pounced on it at your price. But look into disassembly before you grab the tools.

Learned to shoot with my dads M100 many years ago. I remember there being a safety recall on them some years back and found this with a quick google search. Not sure how to tell if the fix was done but might be worth it to have smith take a look at it.
    Recall

In 1990, Winchester issued a recall for this rifle due to a tendency for the firing pin to fail, causing the gun to fire with the action not fully locked, leading to possible catastrophic failure and risk of severe injury or death to the shooter. Winchester offered to do repairs on the gun free of charge.

Randy

Great story AGL. Thank you for sharing!

You can call OLIN, the folks that do the firing pin recall, and give them the serial number of your rifle, and they will tell you if the recall has been done on your particular gun. The phone # is 1-800-852-5734. You have to disassemble your rifle and remove the firing pin and mail it in. Then they will send you a new one to install. Takes about 20 min. if you know what you are doing. I've done around 20 I think.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I appreciate all of your input, thank you. Will ask my smith about the safety recall. And good heads up on the slide disassembly. Love the stories old guns can bring to mind

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One word of advice-

DO NOT remove the slide in the course of cleaning unless you're real sure about what you're doing. The return spring on the 100 is about a mile long and skinny. First time I took apart a 100 back when you could buy the model new off the shelf, that spring popped free and took off like something from NASA. Too bad I was outdoors, because we never found it. I shudder to think what it would be like to track down a replacement today.

Great gun, and I'd have pounced on it at your price. But look into disassembly before you grab the tools.
    Yes I know first hand that you pull the op-rod back, drive out that little pin . . . Then when you pull out the punch the trigger group and spring take off like a Saturn 5 rocket unless your reedy for it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    Just found a win model 100, 308 at my local gun shop what experiences good or bad can you all let me in on?
    Be careful when removing wood from action, slide has to be in a certain position to remove. Google it before you try stocks are hard to find and spend y. Had a model 100 with custom wood in .358 Win supposed to have never been made in that caliber, mine had a custom barrel but enough rumors to make me think that a few non cataloged experimental may have escaped. Probably worst trade I ever did for a rifle Rem 870 Special Field english style butstock and a Win 64 30-30 straight across, the model 100 had exceptional wood and my eyes must of glazed over!!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Very good rifle but like all autos somewhat ammo picky so reduces your options a little. In 308 there are a lot of options out there though. The magazines are just about imposable to get. Not a gun for everybody but a good rifle, give it a try, like any Winchester if you donít like it I doubt you loose much money on selling it.
    Not true I'm happy to say ! ..........Brownells sells after market 4-shot magazines for the Win model 100 for about $60.......now they're on sale for $49.95

GREAT story AGL4now !! (and nothing for anyone to be judgmental about) and some really good posts too ! don't know anything about the 100's but the 88's are a favorite of a custom 'smith in Southern Oregon (I think) that gunsmith might have some insight on the nuances of that model