Thread: That target revolver that put me to shame, what was it?

Default That target revolver that put me to shame, what was it?

I once took a guy bunny hunting up in the mountains. He was from Oregon. He possessed some very old 38 special target looking double action revolver with a long barrel. He hit everything he aimed at, and even challenged me at 50 yds with open sights against my scoped single six 17mhr. My single six was nowhere near as accurate as his very old target revolver with open sights. That pistol put me to shame. The standard 38 special rounds didn't inflict any serious damage on small game, and he NEVER missed. For me to have made a long shot, it was always luck. What the heck was this ancient revolver that could put 6 shots into one hole at 50 yds with open sights?

Could have been one of many but I've seen some old S&W M14s that were absolutely hell on wheels.

A lot of smiths used to build target guns for bullseye or PPC on an already excellent model- I shot one once that had a heavy full length sight rib added with a great big target blade with multiple folding leaves to compensate for bullet drop and a fine front sight- quite a few of the old timers in the league had them. I occasionally saw one built on a Colt DA revolvers but they were certainly more rare.

With the eyesight of a 20 year old again I'm reasonably certain a bunny at 50 paces would have been in real trouble. Empty soda cans at 25yds were too easy so we started picking shotgun hulls off the berm...I wish we'd have had a longer pistol range to work with looking back on it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My guess is it was a S & W K-38, they've been around for decades and used to be used for big-bore,NRA shooting. They had barrels of 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" w? adj. sights. They were built on the K frame and smooth as butter with a target trigger and hammer.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

57819.jpg

The K-38 and the M14 are pretty much the same thing...K frame .38 with a long barrel and adj. sights.

Love these darn things. S&W did a repro a few years back in the "Classics" line.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

that one looks very similar to the one that put me to shame but the barrel may have been longer, can't be exactly sure though.. It had me second guessing the rimfire cartrdige with it's inconsistencies. Cheap target fjm's were giving the guy 6 shot one-hole groups at 50 yds., I couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    that one looks very similar to the one that put me to shame but the barrel may have been longer, can't be exactly sure though.. It had me second guessing the rimfire cartrdige with it's inconsistencies. Cheap target fjm's were giving the guy 6 shot one-hole groups at 50 yds., I couldn't believe it.
    The photo is a 6 1/2" but 8 3/8" was also available. I had a friend who shot PPC pretty avidly through the 70s and early 80s. He was amazing with a .38 loaded with HBWC bullets and some small charge or Unique or Bullseye. He could tune a K-frame within an inch of it's life. IIRC Weigand used to make a lot of PPC conversions and sold a lot of parts- heavy barrels, sight ribs, triggers, and a bunch of other stuff before the autoloader pretty much overtook LEO sidearms and action pistol events became more common forms of competition.

He also had a very weird M52 autoloader chambered in .38Spec Wadcutter....that was perhaps the most accurate handgun I've ever fired (including a Benelli target pistol!). There was some cool stuff floating around back then....
    Last edited by hodgeman; 01-11-2013 at 15:37. Reason: correct model number

All those oldies are still goodies
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The S&W M52 has a short mag that only holds full wadcutters and is limited to 5 rounds in the mag. For Bullseye shooting a charge of 2.8 grs of Bullseye behind the 148 grn bullet is death on the 10 ring; combined with good eyesight and proper technique. This load works in both revolvers and autos.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Probably a S&W K38 but if it had a bull barrel it may have been a Colt Officers Model 38 Special. Also Officers Model Target or Officers Model Match were of the same era and very accurate guns but with lighter barrels.

Probably had to do as much with the shooter as it did with the type of handgun he was using.

My guess is if it had adjustable sights K38 or Outdoorsman but, if fixed sights probably a HD .
    Steve

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Accurate old double action 38, yes, my guess would be an older S&W K38. But would venture to bet it was more the older shooter who had grown up with little money and hungry belly's to feed, than the gun itself. Seen quite a few older gentlemen with only the one or two guns who rarely target practiced or missed. They didn't have enough money to waste target practicing or missing. That and it seems the older handguns were just more accurate from the factory, maybe better assembly and craftmanship that the mass produced lots of today.