Thread: Teach me about BUFFERS & Springs........How to Identify whats...what

Default Teach me about BUFFERS & Springs........How to Identify whats...what

So if I have a box full of Buffers & Springs out of AR-15's. How do Identify a Pistol, carbine, mid-length, intermediate, rifle.....one from another.....???

BUMP.........Someone must know something about Buffer.......????

Not sure what the question is. For all things AR, dig through AR15.com and someone will have posted it.

As far as carbine (M4) vs intermediate, I don't believe the buffer tube or spring is any different - they are the same for both. The difference between a carbine and a "mid length"/intermediate is strictly the position of the gas port. The feeling these days is that if you have a barrel length that will accommodate it, you should go with an "intermediate" length gas tube/port rather than the shorter carbine length gas port/tube. The shorter carbine gas port length can give problems with overpressure or excessive force on the bolt. From what I understand, many of the better M4 builders use the mid length system.

I built mine on a carbine length drilled barrel and have had no issues, FWIW. If I had a choice, I'd build a mid-length. I got a great deal on a barrel 5 years ago, so that's what I have.

For example, all mid-lengths:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...ay.cgi?cat=122

Are all springs the same length........????

Are all buffers the same weight........????

No and no.

I haven't looked for it, but there are threads (and may be "stickied") that cover the different buffer weights. The springs, from what I know are the same for carbine and midlength. Longer for rifle length, and I don't know for pistol. I imagine the pistol uses a carbine length spring.

A carbine buffer is a carbine buffer - only the weights vary. The rifle buffer is a longer length, and may come in different weights, but not sure.

Click on a buffer, then read the reviews for why people chose that buffer weight:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Searc...?Search=buffer

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So if I have a box full of Buffers & Springs out of AR-15's. How do Identify a Pistol, carbine, mid-length, intermediate, rifle.....one from another.....???
    If we forget about the gas system length, and if we forget about the buffer "TUBE" length.

Now if I set 36 "Different" springs & buffers on the table, HOW do you identify all that came out of rifles with Mid-Length Gas Systems.

My quest is how to identify all the extra buffers and springs. ONLY the buffers and the springs.

To my knowledge, there is no difference in springs and buffers in relationship to the gas length of the AR it is more a factor of whether you have a rifle or carbine length buttstock. You can have a mid length gas system on a rifle or carbine.

The springs for the rifle and the carbine are the same diameter, and made of the same steel alloy. The rifle springs have 41 to 43 coils, and the carbine springs have 37 to 39 coils. The brand-new length of the springs is approximately 12.75″ for the rifle and 10.5″ for the carbine springs

http://www.gundigest.com/rifle-revie...recoil-springs

Randy

OK......I think I now understand. The reason for the question is that I buy Pistol Only lowers from Rock River. Then order a Noveske 12.5" upper and assemble and it does not run.......So I throw that buffer and spring in a box, and grab a buffer and spring out of a Carbine. And it runs fine. But now that I have done that several times, I now want to figure out what systems these extra buffers and springs go into.

I am VERY glad I asked this question......thank you all for the help.