Thread: Reasonable Sheep Hunt Air Taxi ~ Is There Such a Thing?

Default Reasonable Sheep Hunt Air Taxi ~ Is There Such a Thing?

I've been beating the bushes for a couple months now. Despite speaking with a dozen pilots/services I find myself still without a ride.

Am I dreaming about the possibility of finding a reasonable drop hunt for around $2K?

I initially started my search with a very specific location in mind only to find out it's pretty much cinched up between the air operators and the guides.

We're looking for a harvest ticket hunt into an area where there's a decent chance of a legal ram for both my partner and I.
    Don't get me wrong ~ I recognize we'd be more likely to get only one [if we're lucky] but I've seen lots of pictures on this forum with multi-harvests.
    I also realize there will likely be others' in the area too...but, would hope there's a chance at getting inot a spot not crawling with other hunters ruining the stalk and causing nothing but confrontation.

While we've put in for draw permits we're not banking on getting them.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    If this sounds like a far-out request for information I apologize in advance.
    We have only limited sheep hunting experience but would really like a fair chance at a legal ram.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Are you looking in different mountain ranges, or one in particular?

There are several places that charge less than that but you have to know what is going on and book early. A deposit is a powerful thing.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Appreciate the PM's and responses and yes we are willing to go to different ranges as it seems the closer spots are the more challenging.
    That said, we spread ourselves pretty thin doing as much as humanly possible so at this point sheep isn't our only gig.
    I'll keep the deposit thing in mind for sure.
    There seems to be possibilities and while I was about to throw in the towel, I'll continue my search in hopes of putting together an enjoyable trip.
    Thanks for everyone's valuable inputs!

You can get a transporter to take you into the Brooks for right around that price. Depends on how far you go. We used 70 North.

We were in for 11 days this year and only saw one plane fly over during the whole time. No other people seen. We weren't in very far and there were sheep around, and Griz, and Bou, and Ptarms........

Did you go early or later?
    How was the weather when you went?
    Did you pick a spot or were you limited to areas they could land i.e. strips, gravel bars etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You can get a transporter to take you into the Brooks for right around that price. Depends on how far you go. We used 70 North.

We were in for 11 days this year and only saw one plane fly over during the whole time. No other people seen. We weren't in very far and there were sheep around, and Griz, and Bou, and Ptarms........

Also did you fly or drive up? If you flew were there any additional logistical/financial considerations?
    I've been calling Coyote on the south side at Coldfoot [figured we could drive] but they haven't answered their phone yet.
    Flying into Deadhorse and using 70 North might be a viable option.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Did you go early or later?
    How was the weather when you went?
    Did you pick a spot or were you limited to areas they could land i.e. strips, gravel bars etc....

Default Reasonable Sheep Hunt Air Taxi ~ Is There Such a Thing?

Dirk is around. Just be sure your calling their winter number, the 479-.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

4 of us went. We drove 2 trucks up from anchorage. We picked a general location and asked that they get us as close as they could - we don't know the landing strips in the area. 70N won't/can't pick a spot for you. We went Sept 2 through 13. Another group came in as we went out - they probably had nasty weather. We had 50/50, some clear even sunny and some rainy and snowy and foggy.

I am so thankful for the outpouring of positive support on this matter as it is really important to both my hunting partner and I.
    You have breathed a fresh breath into an otherwise dismal/fading prospect...
    I am convinced [through your responses and PM's] there is hope to fulfill this very important aspect of Alaska hunting possibilities.
    I am grateful ~ of course, I will be sure to keep you updated on our progress.
    Thank you all who've contributed again. Can't wait to get after those sheep! Sincerely, Guy

Great INTEL ~ thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    4 of us went. We drove 2 trucks up from anchorage. We picked a general location and asked that they get us as close as they could - we don't know the landing strips in the area. 70N won't/can't pick a spot for you. We went Sept 2 through 13. Another group came in as we went out - they probably had nasty weather. We had 50/50, some clear even sunny and some rainy and snowy and foggy.

I was calling the 678- number...Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Dirk is around. Just be sure your calling their winter number, the 479-.