Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurrection river trail

Default Resurrection river trail

Has anyone walked this in the last year or two? Just wondered in what condition it is these days. (Will be doing it in June) The last write ups that I could find on the web said it is very difficult to find and navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimani View Post
    Has anyone walked this in the last year or two? Just wondered in what condition it is these days. (Will be doing it in June) The last write ups that I could find on the web said it is very difficult to find and navigate.

Piece of Cake........Great shape........Suggest you research "The EVIL Cow Parsnip". Also you NEED to visit the Sea View Bar & Café in lovely, lovely charming, Breath'thaking, did I mention LOVELY or Charming Wonderful HOPE, ALASKA. (It has lots of REAL Alaskan MEN, if that is of any interest to you Charming Ladies).

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Piece of Cake........Great shape........Suggest you research "The EVIL Cow Parsnip". Also you NEED to visit the Sea View Bar & Café in lovely, lovely charming, Breath'thaking, did I mention LOVELY or Charming Wonderful HOPE, ALASKA. (It has lots of REAL Alaskan MEN, if that is of any interest to you Charming Ladies).
    Quit salivating, all over your key board, your going to scare them off. LOL

Are you looking for Ressurection "River" Trail or Resurrection Pass Trail? These are two totally different trails. One starts just outside of Seward (Ressurection River Trail), the other is the far more popular trail that starts/stops in Hope and Cooper Landing (Ressurection Pass Trail). If you are referring to the Pass trail, there are big parking areas at each trailhead, so finding it is easy. In June, you still have a good chance to find sections with snow, but the brush/grass/cow parsnip should be minimal and it should be a good trip. Later in the year, things grow in more, but the trail is still easy to find/follow. Just prepare for quick weather swings and potential for bears.

Here are links to the trail information for both:

Resurrection River Trail (one near Seward): http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails...resurriver.htm

Resurrection Pass Trail (one between Cooper Landing and Hope): http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails.../resurnrth.htm

Hope that helps.

Nope, it is the river one. I found a LOT of detail for the Pass, that is great. We are going to star at Seward, walk up Resurrection river, then Russian lakes over to Resurrection Pass and then Hope. Russian Lakes are also very well documented. I bought the Hiking Alaska book, it has great info on most of the trails, but the Resurrection River one seems to be a forgotten treasure or horror?

Nope, it is the river one. I found a LOT of detail for the Pass, that is great. We are going to star at Seward, walk up Resurrection river, then Russian lakes over to Resurrection Pass and then Hope. Russian Lakes are also very well documented. I bought the Hiking Alaska book, it has great info on most of the trails, but the Resurrection River one seems to be a forgotten treasure or horror?
    Back in the day, Luke and Nishka [Zane] Elwell lived at the lower end of Upper Russian Lake. Some say that, as they grew older, they moved back to Zanesville, Ohio, Niska's former home. Zanesville, of course, was named for Zane Gray whose family had lived there for many years. Anyone know who lives at the lower end of Upper Russian Lake these days???

"Luke died in 1967 and Mamie in 1978. They are buried in the Cooper Landing Cemetery."
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...22peo002.shtml

The Romig family and subsequently multiple heirs, ended up with the Upper Russian Lake property. Over the years this property ended up being classified as an inholding on what eventually became the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Now, a year and a half ago I heard the refuge was interested in purchasing a portion of the property with the Elwell historical buildings on it and I just checked and saw they did go through with that purchase. So the USFW that mangages the refuge now owns the dilapidated lodge portion. It looks like about 13 acres or so is still in private Romig heirs hands from the original deed from perusing the subdivision owners.

002.jpg

The old Elwell Upper Russian Lake lodge, photos taken in 2011. You could tell these people put a lot of sweat equity in this place back in the day. A lot of outbuildings here.
    185.jpg190.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    The old Elwell Upper Russian Lake lodge, photos taken in 2011. You could tell these people put a lot of sweat equity in this place back in the day. A lot of outbuildings here.
    185.jpg190.jpg
    Ah, me - - - - - had a lot of good coffee and cookies there back in the day. Quite a couple, they were. They operated a weather station for old Merle K. "Mudhole" Smith's Cordove Airlines. Smitty had the air maii concession for Seward in those days. I was working for Smitty when Jack "Smilin' Jack" Wade put our Aero Commander on Surprise Mountain at the upper end of Lower Russian Lake while trying to abort a Seward flight in 50-knot winds. Smitty had insisted that Jack make the attempt to get the mail through. Time marches on ..................................

Grizzly 2, I thought you might like this article I just found on Elwells. Some great old photos in there and the story is written by one of the Peninsulas best.

http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...craftsmanship/

Here is a photo I took of Upper Russian Lake and this is the old forest service cabin that was built back in 1951. The Chugach National Forest fixed it all up and its in really good shape. Look familiar ?

181.jpg184.jpg

There is a great little book, Kenai Trails, http://www.alaskageographic.org/stor...s/kenai-trails, that is a must have. I think there are only one or two trails that are not in the book. It is very little money that would be well spent. On any trail in the Kenai, you've just got to be prepared for wet and sometimes sloggy conditions. Don't go without bear spray and a very good pair of binoculars.

Thanks Guys
    Lots of good info!! Will take it all to hart. And will take something for those little critters! Thought a mosquito net at night might help? Is it of any use?
    Steward bus service offered to pick us up, they are great. SO will just need a lift to the junction. But will get that sorted, it is just 18 miles if the map is correct.
    We thought of starting at Hope, but were worried about the bottom part to Seward. So thought if we start at the bottom, it is easy to catch a cab or something to take us t the start and then at Hope, it is not to bat to walk the last bit to the town (I hope)
    We are suckers for punishment. Want to first go and have a peep down the Icefield Trail to see if we can see the glacier, then walk up on the Resurrection river trail. Turn right to the Russian lakes trail head at the lakeside to see what that part looks like. Then turn around and walk to Coopers Landing on the Russian lake trail. Apparently there is a waterfall? Will go and have a look at that. Then on the Resurrection pass to hope. Worked it out, should be about92 mile in total. Will take 10 days (we hope).
    I am glad to hear the Resurrection river trail is easier to follow now and not a lot of guess work were wondering if I will need a GPS!! But now I do not think so.
    Just love walking and looking at all natures wonders

The most challenging portion of the Resurrection River Trail will be crossing Martin Creek which fortunately will be the first creek you come to from the Seward end. Call this number before you start and they can give you up to date information in their opinion if the creek is fordable or not. Seward Ranger District at (907)224-3374

Take a little rope with you for crossing creeks until you get up to Russian Lakes Trail. Once past there, foot bridges are everywhere else for the entirety of your trip to Hope.

Boulder Creek / Resurrection River Trail
    208.jpg205.jpg

On the Resurrection River trail there is a free first come first serve forest service cabin available. This would be a good place to spend the night on your first day out. Its a few miles past Martin Creek.

"During summer, from the Resurrection River Trailhead, at milepost 11.5 on Exit Glacier Road, hike 6.5 miles to short spur trail, then a half-mile further to the cabin"
    http://www.recreation.gov/recAreaDet...agencyCode=131

When you finish your trip, we would love to see a report !

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    On the Resurrection River trail there is a free first come first serve forest service cabin available. This would be a good place to spend the night on your first day out. Its a few miles past Martin Creek.

"During summer, from the Resurrection River Trailhead, at milepost 11.5 on Exit Glacier Road, hike 6.5 miles to short spur trail, then a half-mile further to the cabin"
    http://www.recreation.gov/recAreaDet...agencyCode=131

Here is the location of that cabin.
    resurrection river cabin 001.jpg

At one time this cabin was in the rental system of the Chugach National Forest. Back then there were bridges across all the creeks on the Resurrection River Trail and so it was considered accessible. Flooding took out all the hiking bridges and the decision was made not to replace them and that is when they made this cabin free to use, first come first serve. Highly unlikely it will be occupied when you come through. But its still a good cabin and only a half mile off the main trail so well worth the walk.

Ooo, do you know haw many phone calls it took before I found out the Resurrection river cabin is a first come first serve cabin. Everyone in any type of booking office tried to tell me that it does not exist or it is in private hire. It belonged to a different forest, you can think it out, I had the reason why they either did not have it or did not know about it. But finally I found a lady at the local ranger station that told me it is first come fist serve. In short she said the rule is: If you cannot book it, it is first come first serve. We pan on going to it.
    I just hope the rivers will not be that high in June, will just have to see and live through it. After all, if you are an outdoor type of person, that is what you deal with. If you always just want paved sidewalks, perhaps you are in the wrong place?
    I will definitely put something on once we are done or perhaps even a ˝ way report if I can get into the internet at some stage.
    Really looking forward to this trip. Had a laugh at the Seward bus company guy. He could not believe any sane person want to walk that far out of free will.

Another option is going up the Carter Lake Trail to Crescent Lake. Get a short ride up to Cooper Lake and catch the Trail there. Just something to keep in mind.

Shimani,

I will being doing the trip from Hope to Seward the second week of August... would definitely love to read a report (and see some photos), especially on the Resurrection River Trail portion. Thanks!

Jason

Default Resurrection River Trail

Quote Originally Posted by theevoys View Post
    Shimani,

I will being doing the trip from Hope to Seward the second week of August... would definitely love to read a report (and see some photos), especially on the Resurrection River Trail portion. Thanks!

Jason

Jason:

Myself and 3 friends just hiked resurrection river trail. We started on the seward end and made it to the upper russian the first night. The trail is decent, the trail prior to Martin Creek is pretty nice. Crossing Martin creek isn't too bad, its cold and about belly button deep on June 20. After that its slightly overgrown and a ton of mud. Boulder creek is a breeze to cross compared to Martin. Overall it was an awesome hike, we didnt see any bear but did see a ton of tracks.

AK FF25, Thank you for the reply. I just was re-searching the forums and came across your reply which I never saw until today. The two of us leave from Hope on Saturday, August 10. We still plan the full hike coming out at exit glacier. Information about the Resurrection River Trail has been extremely sparce.

I'll post an update when (if) I get back...

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast