Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope to Anchorage

Default Hope to Anchorage

We are going to walk across the Kenai peninsula from Seward to Hope in June. We are flying into Anchorage and catch the bus from there to Seward. But we have a problem getting back from Hope to Anchorage. No bus, train or car rentals. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? There are 3 of us (ladies, or females I should say. Do not know if Lady is really what we are ).

Seward bus line runs up the Hwy from Seward to Anchorage and back every day. Maybe you could get a ride out to the Hwy from Hope and make arrangements for the Bus to stop and pick you up on it's way north.

Try calling these folks.

http://stagelineinhomer.com/stage_line_current_schedule

Maybe you can arrange a flag stop.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Thanks, will try them. Running out of ideas at a speed here!

Quote Originally Posted by Shimani View Post
    We are going to walk across the Kenai peninsula from Seward to Hope in June. We are flying into Anchorage and catch the bus from there to Seward. But we have a problem getting back from Hope to Anchorage. No bus, train or car rentals. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? There are 3 of us (ladies, or females I should say. Do not know if Lady is really what we are ).
    Just curious.. why?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Just curious.. why?
    I can't speak for their reasoning, but in general, that is some of the most beautiful country to hike/bike in Alaska. Fairly quick access from Anchorage, yet you are in the "middle of nowhere" in a few minutes from leaving the car. You get up into the mountains fairly quickly. Once you get up here, you should really look at exploring areas like Resurrection Pass and Johnson Pass (two of the more popular trails in the area being discussed).

Quote Originally Posted by Shimani View Post

You may want to consider doing the trip in the opposite direction, from Hope to Seward. This way, you will just need to find a way to get to Hope from Anchorage when you arrive, then just catch the bus/train back from Seward whenever you get there. You would have a lot easier time looking for a ride to Hope when you know the exact date of travel (start of your trip) than an unsure date (end of trip, whenever you reach Hope). You could even fall back to taking a cab to Hope if you really had to, but that might cost a fair amount. You might be able to contact some of the businesses listed online for Hope and see if any of them know of a good way to find someone to transport you down there. Maybe one of them would do it if you covered the gas money so they could get their weekly Costco run taken care of? Just a thought.

I've hiked from Hope to Seward except I floated the river in a packraft the last few miles.

If you start in Hope you hike the Resurrection Pass trail North
    Then it becomes the Resurrection Pass trail South (same trail)
    Then you cross the highway and travel the Russian Lakes trail
    Part way down this trail you take the cutoff that lead to Resurrection River trail. (It was marked when I did it in 2011)
    Now I went as far as Boulder Creek and then floated from there
    But there are creeks with no bridges to ford across from Boulder Creek to Seward. You would want to get an up to date flood status of the creeks from the local ranger before you go would be my suggestion and I would carry a lightweight inflatable life vest for safety but thats just me. I found the twelve miles of the Resurrection River trail that I did easy to find and walk. It is being maintained once in a while now so old reports on the internet are no longer valid. Don't forget the bug dope for the Resurrection River part they were hungry little critters in that section. The other trails are well used, the Resurrection River portion gets very little use.

Oh yeah, when you get back to the Exit Glacier road in Seward, the tail end of the trip, I found out cell phones don't work. I ended up hiking several miles along the road until I got reception and called for my ride.
    203.jpg207.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    I've hiked from Hope to Seward except I floated the river in a packraft the last few miles.

If you start in Hope you hike the Resurrection Pass trail North
    Then it becomes the Resurrection Pass trail South (same trail)
    Then you cross the highway and travel the Russian Lakes trail
    Part way down this trail you take the cutoff that lead to Resurrection River trail. (It was marked when I did it in 2011)
    Now I went as far as Boulder Creek and then floated from there
    But there are creeks with no bridges to ford across from Boulder Creek to Seward. You would want to get an up to date flood status of the creeks from the local ranger before you go would be my suggestion and I would carry a lightweight inflatable life vest for safety but thats just me. I found the twelve miles of the Resurrection River trail that I did easy to find and walk. It is being maintained once in a while now so old reports on the internet are no longer valid. Don't forget the bug dope for the Resurrection River part they were hungry little critters in that section. The other trails are well used, the Resurrection River portion gets very little use.

Oh yeah, when you get back to the Exit Glacier road in Seward, the tail end of the trip, I found out cell phones don't work. I ended up hiking several miles along the road until I got reception and called for my ride.
    How long did this take??? Sounds exciting!

I was going pretty slow and was in no hurry so about a week in all. Without a doubt the most beautiful section is the 40 mile Resurrection Pass trail which I have done several times. I think I could live up there if they let me. The Russian Lakes and Resurrection River portion are not as stunning as being in the mountain pass.

051.jpg

If between now and June you can't find a ride we might be able to get you up to Anch. We head up there regularly.

Jim, seems to not tell you that he is part Billy'Goat......and one of, if not the best wilderness saturation explorers in Alaska today.

I'm just an old goat and I was running to keep up with you ! AGL4now cruises at about 3.5 mph with full pack.

upper russian lake

How many miles and what kinda terrain?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    How many miles and what kinda terrain?
    Which trail are you asking about.....?

tustumena_lake that question was to you. Sorry for the lack of clarity on this!

The entire trip is something like 78 miles (Hope to Seward).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The entire trip is something like 78 miles (Hope to Seward).
    I think I might want to do this sometime. It sounds doable and fun!

Someplace on this Forum Tustumena_Lake has a hundreds of photos and dialog details of his wilderness wanderings for the last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Someplace on this Forum Tustumena_Lake has a hundreds of photos and dialog details of his wilderness wanderings for the last several years.
    How does one do a search?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast