Thread: Washdown in winter?

Default Washdown in winter?

So how do you guys go about washing all your gear and boat down after a day on the this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So how do you guys go about washing all your gear and boat down after a day on the this time of year?
    A bucket and elbow grease! LOL! Though about 6 weeks ago I consolidated my washdown pump, hose and intake tubing into one neat little bundle that I can fit in a bag, so I can just stick the intake tube in the water, connect the electrical leads to my battery with alligator clips and wash away. Then I just drain the hoses, stick it in my carry bag and bring it home with me so it won't freeze. Any gear I want to give a fresh water rinse to I'll just bring home. Though with the weather we've had, and continue to have there isn't much problem with things freezing up. If I can remember to I'll take a picture of it when I go fishing today.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

The only place I fish in the winter is Homer, I take it to the car wash to wash the boat down. Not sure about the best way to do it if you kept your boat in the harbor
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

3 years ago I had a plumber change an outdoor faucet from cold to either hot or cold water.
    There are valves in my crawl space to set it either way.
    Having warm water to clean is nice.

Here's what I do. Pretty basic. I just stick the intake hose into the water, connect the alligator clips to my battery and....voila! If it looks like it's going to go well below freezing I just stick everything in a bag and bring it home.
    IMG_5302.jpg

Sweet looking rig Mutt, but I was thinking more along getting the salt off the boat.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Sweet looking rig Mutt, but I was thinking more along getting the salt off the boat.
    wait for the rain?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Well, I guess if you leave your boat in the harbor there's no getting the salt off your boat since it's surrounded by it 24/7. I NEVER spray my boat down with fresh water even during the summer. If you pull your boat there's a car wash with an outside bay in the "business" area at the end of The Spit and there are also a couple of places in town you can spray your boat off at. That's your only option during the summer, too, since the harbor doesn't have any boat wash facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    wait for the rain?
    ....and there's that, too. In fact I guess you could say that's what I rely on. There's been no lack of THAT lately!

I duck hunted homer in December. It got COLD when we left. I did not take it to the car wash in homer (I should have). I am embarrassed to say that when we got home (anchorage), I hooked up my hose to my hot water outlet on my water heater. I could not push the water through my motor. I tried to pressure wash the boat's exterior but only ended up with more ice. She sits, covered, in the same messy shape she was in. Come spring - she will get a good cleaning and thorough motor rinsing.

I might recommend that right when you pull the boat out of the water - hit the starter and let her start for 1 second. Two times. My thinking is that the water will be pushed (maybe?) out of the block while it is has not frozen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I might recommend that right when you pull the boat out of the water - hit the starter and let her start for 1 second. Two times. My thinking is that the water will be pushed (maybe?) out of the block while it is has not frozen yet.
    YES! Just run your motor for about a second and it will purge the water from your system. Obviously you don't want to run it much longer because it will ruin your water pump, but that WILL do the trick.