Thread: Guides that outfit

Default Guides that outfit

Statutes and Regulations
    Big Game Commercial
    Services Board

Sec. 08.54.790. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter,

(9) “outfit” means to provide, for compensation or with the intent to receive compensation, services, supplies,
    or facilities, excluding the provision of accommodations by a person described in AS 08.54.785, to a big game
    hunter in the field, by a person who neither accompanies nor is present with the big game hunter in the field either
    personally or by an assistant;

Lets say I got three buddies and we want to go on a remote hunt. We can get all of our hunting gear and grub in one Beaver load and the cost splits out pretty good. By the time we throw in the tents and inflatable with kicker we have to charter an additional 206 or some body stays home.
    The guide in the area does not OUTFIT DIY
    I am curious if any guides do outfit DIY and if not why not.
    I get a lot of guys asking for DIY services that I can not provide and I wonder about the history of how Guide/Outfitter were combined.

I know that Joe Schuster (Sportsmans Air Service) outfits DYI for moose & caribou. I'm not sure of others.

Gary Green, (McCarthy Air) out of McCarthy transports clients in the Wrangles for sheep, goat, bear, moose, and buffalo. He's a great pilot and he won't put any other hunters in the same area that he drops you off into until he's got you out of there. You won't see any other hunters unless they come in from another transporter or from a private aircraft. He's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Statutes and Regulations
    Big Game Commercial
    Services Board

(9) “outfit” means to provide, for compensation or with the intent to receive compensation, services, supplies,
    or facilities, excluding the provision of accommodations by a person described in AS 08.54.785, to a big game
    hunter in the field, by a person who neither accompanies nor is present with the big game hunter in the field either

Lets say I got three buddies and we want to go on a remote hunt. We can get all of our hunting gear and grub in one Beaver load and the cost splits out pretty good. By the time we throw in the tents and inflatable with kicker we have to charter an additional 206 or some body stays home.
    I get a lot of guys asking for DIY services that I can not provide and I wonder about the history of how Guide/Outfitter were combined.
    Many guides have quite an investment in the areas where they perform their services. That includes lodges, cabins, tent camps, and so forth. Since those facilities and accouterments already exist, and have cost the guide quite a bit of money [purchases, transportation, upkeep, maintenace, etc.] they prefer to use their own facilities, which are complete, comfortable, and safe.

For DIY hunts, why not just hire a Part 135 Air Taxi for your transporatation? Or do you really require [by law, perhaps] the services of an Alaska Registered Guide?

This one is right up my alley. I outfit hunts in unit 23. I work with flight services that offer transport services but do not offer gear. Most flight services make more money by focusing on getting clients in the air and do not want to hire someone to deal wit the gear end of the business. Yes, the flight service could do well by adding a dozen Cabela's tents, toss in a bunch of kitchen set ups and even 6 or 8 rafts but when you own the gear you need to maintain that gear and that takes time. I repair rafts fix zippers and wash all the gear every time it comes in from a hunting or fishing trip. When you focus is flying time lost fixing and washing gear id lost money.

The same can be said for Guides. They make money getting clients into the field and putting them on game. Most do not want to get into the transporting business or gear outfitting because once agin that will take them away from where they make their money. I am sure that there are some who cross over that line but most do not. In Kotz it is so costly to get gear up there renting and leaving hunt camps and Rafts behind is far more cost effective and each of us have a specialty or a niche.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Rafts & Camps

if i'm guiding, doing the DIY is just another huge headache in logistics and having someone around all the time to pick up gear, get gear out, meet people and run logistics for an endevor thats not really gonna make them any money. your better off to just have guided clients paying bigger bucks in your area that to fill it with small change guys...a guide could only outfit in the areas he's registered for, thus it would be more compitition for the guided hunters he's putting in the area...just wouldn't make sense to do that to yourself.

by the def. anyone who rents gear to a hunter is suppose to have an outfitter license, but i know they all don't. so not sure where the gray area there is.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

AniWahaya

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Statutes and Regulations
    Big Game Commercial
    Services Board

I think it was combined after they eliminated the Guide Concessions the last time around.. Correct me if I'm wrong but previous to the last concession program on state land wasn't there two separate industries i.e. you didn't have to be a guide to outfit camps.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    This one is right up my alley. I outfit hunts in unit 23.
    Technically, you do not OUTFIT hunts, Walt. You rent equipment in town. Your customer has to get the equipment out of town. An "OUTFITTER" may rent equipment and camps "in the field". Only Licensed guides may "outfit". Only licensed guides may provide services in the field.
    There are guide services who also "outfit" Just not many. An example in the Kotz area is Northern Air Trophy owned by Matt Owen. They offer both guided and outfitted hunts.
    http://www.northernairtrophy.com/tro...nting/caribou/
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!