Thread: Sausage Casing Help

Default Sausage Casing Help

I need some help with reused casing.
    I used a high mountain sausage kit about a month ago. The 1" or so casing came dried and covered in salt. I soaked it in warm water and then ran water through the inside of the casing to make it easier to slide on the horn. After extruding about a 36" long piece of sausage, I cut the casing and tied a knot in the end(not typical but it works). Then I simply twisted out links at 6"-7" sections and every thing worked perfect. When I was finished, I put the unused wet casing in a plastic bag and kept them in the refrigerator.
    So... last night I took the reused casing out and did the same thing as I did a month ago. Except this time the casing ripped rather than twisting. It extruded and expanded fine but this time when I went to twist the links, it ripped. I tried lubing it with warm water after the extrusion but that didn't work.
    I still have about 3ea 36" extrusions that I would like to twist down into smaller links but I'm not sure thats a good idea after being in the fridge overnight.

Do you guys have any tips on how to make it easier to twist out links with reused casing? How do you twist your casing?

Thanks ahead of time!

My only tip is to not reuse casings. It probably ripped because the moisture had a chance to fully saturate through it. The last time I saved casings to try and use later (about a month like you did) they had a god awful smell to them and had turned rancid. Lesson learned for me. Never try to save casings, only get out what you plan on using immediately.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I've reused casings several times, however I repackaged them in salt after squeezing out all the water and then froze them. Worked pretty well, were about 90% as tough as the first time I opened the package. If they were just sitting in the fridge I'd be leery of using them again a month later, but as long as the smell doesn't indicate rancid, then there's just the consistency issue. Likely you will need to start with new casings.

rinse with clean water and store in the freezer. Otherwise, like most said: don't try to keep it longer than God intended gut to be out and exposed. "If you would not eat sausage kept out for a month, why use casings kept out?"

Chris

If your are using dried pork casing dried in salt. Just put unused casing in a sealed jar and pour canning salt over then untill ready to use next time. Rinse them three time in cool water and use just like the others. Could be you are overstuffing and that will break casings. PM me if you like and I will walk you through it.

don't twist them up. If they don't stink too bad, just rinse them realy good. Package your snotgutz in rounds instead of "links". They cook up just fine. You just cut them to length when they are done cooking. They stack better in the freezer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    don't twist them up. If they don't stink too bad, just rinse them realy good. Package your snotgutz in rounds instead of "links". They cook up just fine. You just cut them to length when they are done cooking. They stack better in the freezer too.
    Thats exactally what I did and they turned out fine.
    Some of the casing that I didn't use were dried out to the point that they were hard and no amount of soaking would soften them.