Thread: 284 Win Savage 99

Default 284 Win Savage 99

Have a new-to-me 99 in 284 coming north and was looking for any reloading components(dies/brass/bullets). Also if you've got any pointers on loading for a 99 comment please.

Barnes Bullets preferred esp. 120Gr

Fred

congrats to you. what about a heavy-for caliber lead core? 175 grain woodleigh protected point, or a 175 grain swift a-frame would be my top choice for hunting in alaska.

my savage 99 likes to put 275 grainers through moose. dandy little rifles.....the very best if you ask me.

Watch the COAL as you only have a limited a magazine length. Consider the use of flat based bullets and those with larger ogives versus those with pointy ogives once you surpass 150 grs, as the bullets get long and reduce the powder capacity and velocities.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 284 Win loads

I had a Win model 88 in 284 30+ years ago. I don't remember the exact load, but I do know it was 145 gr PSP, and it was one-shot death on elk.

Got your hands on it finally did ya . . . So what‘s she look like. Winchester is the only maker of 284 brass now and I don’t see any in-stock now. Midway had some Christmas time when I was looking but they are out now. Hornady, Lapua and Norma make 6.5-284 that will do the trick, wrong head stamp but get ya shooting just fine even if not cheap.
    Here is some Norma:
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NO10190

Here are your dies:
    Lee: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690777
    Redding: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007680141

Congrats on the rifle and we want some pix.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've been shooting and loading for mine for close to 30 years now. It's real fond of the bullets in the 140-150 grain range that I load, as well as the 125- and 150-grain factory loads. When going for a premium I've stuck pretty much to Partitions, and had complete satisfaction. But in truth I've killed more game with the 139- and 154-grain Hornadys, and managed higher velocities too. The sharp orgive on the Hornadys lets me seat either weight with lots less bullet extending down into the case body at max OAL. The RN versions of the 154 is even better about bullet intrusion into the case body.

I have two fears about your intended Barnes- The long orgive could force you to seat it out pretty far simply to assure good grip with that short neck. And, being a mono, even at 120 grains it's likely to extend far back into the case body. I just don't see the 284 delivering the kind of vels that would call for a mono, so those issues don't really concern me. Something to watch for if you decide you need the monos anyway.

I'll expand upon your fear brownbear.

You sacrifice so much usable powder space and bullet weight going to barnes bullets in standard short-action cartridges. I've loaded barnes bullets in three different lever action rifles. Guess what happens? When you briskly shuck a lever action rifle, there's not enough neck tension due to those grooved bands; the cartridges will grow in length, and change in length to such an extent, that they can jam up a modern lever rifle. Trust me on this. The 284 winchester has a fairly short neck, those "triple shock" rings really decrease neck tension, and in a lever action rifle that briskly cycles cartridges, this is a bad combination. You should be able to run a cartridge with an overall length of 2.800" in a savage 99, but no more than that. Plenty of COAL to work with there.

Run that lee crimping die till it bottoms out. Heck, even check the diameter of the expanding plug of your sizer die. The writings of Elmer Keith taught me to do that. Though revolver recoil causing cartridges to jump crimp is completely different, modern lever actions cycling cartridges with short necks can really move a bullet around too. If you do choose to use barnes bullets, please consider racking a single cartridge into the chamber and track COAL. Shuck it briskly, as if you were imagining how fast you'd run the lever to get on target of a wounded bear charging you, or a wounded moose heading towards a swamp.

Oh yeah, I got jams in my savage 99 rifle when gently cycling a tipped triple shock. I was loading them to a COAL of 2.800". This put one of the bands directly in front of the neck. This abrupt spot that exposed the neck with the additional material exposed by the grooved band, made for unreliable cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    Have a new-to-me 99 in 284 coming north and was looking for any reloading components(dies/brass/bullets). Also if you've got any pointers on loading for a 99 comment please....Barnes Bullets preferred esp. 120Gr
    Fred- suggest you look at a different bullet. As others have said, the little .284 case in the 99 mag makes OAL a little stingy and those long mono metal bullets will eat powder space.

I'd find a weight of Partition or even a plain Corelokt that the rifle liked and go kill stuff. The velocities the .284 is capable of just don't warrant a TSX style bullet which will be made for 7mag speeds, not .284 ones.

The .284 in the 99 is a fascinating gun and I hope you get great service from it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sorry everybody, had to watch a friend's cows and horses at the head of Kachemak Bay for a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies.
    Ended up finding some ammo from a few people and thanks to them. Here are some photos of the gun. Scope is a vintage Bushnell
    Silhouette straight 10x with BDC knobs on it. I won't hunt with it but it's a great target scope. Shot that group with it last night using some
    Corbon Custom Ammo I got from a fella' in Anchorage. They are 140 Gr Barnes DPX(?) listed at 2900fps and I'm assuming they're a little hot from recoil and tight lever. Lower left was fouling shot. Same guy also gave me a box of 140gr TSX that I'd like to find a load for but sounds like everyone's not too hip on the monos. Maybe trade them for 139 Hornadys. Also picked up a box of 100 gr Hornady HPs--any one load these?
    This 99 has an amazing trigger around 3lbs and no creep whatsoever.

Swap the 10x Bushy for a 4x Weaver and it's a twin for mine. Your fun has just begun! Excluding bear worries, the rifle and round could easily be in the running for an "all around" Alaska gun, whatever that is. Flat and accurate with plenty of power for longer shooting, quick and handy for the close stuff.

BBear, you have any issues hunting your 99? A little worried about carrying it for days in the rain.
    One of the reasons I'd like to stick with the TSXs is the bear deal.

Mainer-I'm assuming your 99 is a 375 Win. How's the recoil and which designation?

Never an issue in weather with any of my 99's over the years. Hunted lots in the Northwest before moving up here in the 70's, and given them the weather test every year since moving up here. My 358 is still my go-to carry gun lots of the time.

Mainer’s 99 was a 308 he had re-cut to 358 Winchester.

That is a sharp 99 there!!! As for hunting it I would, but I’d baby it some but not much, no using it as a club, crutch, ski, or canoe paddle. First thing is to take it down, seal the wood up well. Before every hunt take it down and wax it up well then when you get back take in down and clean well, In the field keep it well oiled, wiped down, dry as you reasonably can. It will only look better and better the more hunts like this it goes on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona