Thread: Copper Fowling Eraser 223

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Copper Fowling Eraser 223

Ok so this may have been discussed, if so I couldn't find the thread, so. Here goes.

I just got my hands on the 2013 Hodgdon Annual reloading manual magazine. There are two articles covering there Copper Fowling Eraser, CFC 223 powder. The articles How CFC Works by Dick Metcalf p.44, and Reloading With CFC 223, by Steve Gash p. 18, make it sound pretty good. The article says the powder has been out about a year now.

So, what are you experiences and opionions of this powder?

What are you favorite calibers to load it in?

Has anyone used it in a "magnum" sized caliber? If so what were you thoughts?

Have you seen any negative results, lower velocity, failure to clean as claimed, ect from this powder?

I have a keg + of it, I've loaded .308 125 B tips & 130 TSX with good accuracy and velocities, started to work with 150's and got side tracked - The burn rate looked good so I gave it a try in my 325 WSM with 180 AB's, accuracy was OK and no pressure problems but it just didn't feel the same as 4007 SSC - In all attempts it does appear to me that the CFE part is valid - I mainly got it for 223 but haven't had the time to start that load work but I think it will prove to be good stuff - Hodgdon plans on more CFE powders according to what I've read - It meters fine

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

back country thanks for the response.

You mentioned it didn't feel the same as 4007 SSC, in what way, recoil?

I'm real interested in hearing more on the CFE part. Seems to me it is either a "break through" in powder technology or just another sales gimmick. My skeptical sides says gimmick, but part of me wants to believe what they claim. Did you bore scope either of your rifles before and after?

It's not a new concept. As I understand it, several other powders include some type of copper fouling inhibitor in them. Most are military powders, but I've heard that TAC and other commercial powders do as well. But, I think this is the first of these that have been marketed specifically as such. That said, I picked up a couple of cans to try out. I have 60 or so .223 rounds loaded up with the stuff right now... just waiting for some range time. Maybe tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Ralph - recoil and report - I just don't think it was intended for WSM's but Hodgdon states they are planning on some more CFE powders - Of the little bit I've really worked with it I was most impressed with the light bullets in the .308

I've used it in the 8mm Mauser (8x57) and a 150 grain bullet, also in my 350 Remington Magnum with a 200 grain bullet. It is accurate, but in my rifles I haven't seen any evidence of reduced fouling, in fact the fouling is horrendous. I still have more testing to do, do I have rough bores, are the bullet jackets prone to fouling, or what. It does give good velocity without going too high in pressure, 2800fps for a 200 in a 350, 2900fps for a 150 in a 8x57. Meters like a dream. Powder soot comes out fast with Butches.

I started loading with this stuff and have gone through three pounds of powder so far. It meters good and so far seems to be good powder. I load for .223 in the AR with 26 grains of powder under a 55 grain fmj. The biggest problem is finding the stuff. It is harder to find then most powders and is little more expensive. I am trying to weigh the cost vs performance. SW sells it for $28.99 a pound where I can get other powders for closer to $25.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity