Thread: Spring Browns by Boat - Help

Question Spring Browns by Boat - Help

Dad and I are planning our first Alaska Brown Bear Hunt and we are looking for a guide that offers Spring Brown Bear hunts by boat. I've seen a couple of videos of one guide who has a 60' boat to sleep in and then you travel by aluminum boat and/or by foot.

Any guides that you might suggest would be much appreciated.

As for areas, where might you suggest to try for Big Spring Browns?

Any help would be much appreciated. This has been a long waited dream of my Dads and I'm glad to be able to join him on his trip! I just want to make sure we get a quality guide and hunt a quality area.

Thank you!

Paul

Default Spring Browns by Boat - Help

What general area are you looking at for said brown bear?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What general area are you looking at for said brown bear?
    I believe one area my Dad liked was where he could hunt Peninsula Brown Bear but we have yet to fully look at all areas and still trying to get advice/reference from others to see what areas we should be looking at.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by zr2paul View Post
    I've seen a couple of videos of one guide who has a 60' boat to sleep in and then you travel by aluminum boat and/or by foot.
    Sounds like Alaska Adventure Tours back when they used to support some TV shows. I don't know if they are still in business, but they show up in a lot of google searches for legal actions. The main guide in those TV shows no longer has a license due to some of those legal actions.

The bigest spring browns are either from the AK Pen or Kodiak, but there are a few found in Unit 6 (PWS). There is a guy operating out of Valdez using small skiffs. He has a few Tube videos - Killing is his Business.

AK Pen hunts are all on land since that is where the bears are. Kodiak may have some boat based operations, but you would need a drawing tag unless the guides get NR tags. I have no idea about how that all works.

I'm not sure, I would have to check the video when I have a chance at my Dad's place. Basically my Dad said he found a couple guides that let you lodge on a big boat, then you take a smaller boat down river and once you spot your bear you go on foot. They also bring you to land where you walk and glass the areas.

I found a couple of guides just doing a search Litzen Guide service who claims to have 75miles of private Brown Bear coastline, and then there is Parker Guide Service who operates in SouthEast Alaska. Now I just did a search and found these 2 and Im sure there are others. I still need to do my research and find out what areas are better for Spring Brown Bear hunts and what guides are available.

Paul

Paul just to get it right you are looking for a guided hunt correct? If so and you want to do it from a boat based operation then the guide in your last post from the peninsula would be where I would start...

Just curious as to why a boat based hunt in paticular, dont get me wrong as the guide you mentioned is top notch just wondering why you are limiting yourself..

To be honest its more of my Dad's idea to lodge in a boat then travel/hunt by smaller boat then by foot. I dont think my Dad wants to travel by bush plane, Im not sure why as my Dad flies 100,000's of miles a year with commercial jets. I would love to do a fly-in to a remote camp and hunt by foot, that's how I would love to experience my first Alaskan Hunt.

Yes this would be a 100% guided hunt and we would like to stay together when hunting so a 2x1 is what we are hoping for BUT no limited to. Litzen Guided services seems like my first choice so far from what I have seen.

If it were my choice I'd like to choose a guide where I can maximize my chance at shooting the largest bear possible AND enjoying a quality hunt.

Paul

http://www.glacierguidesinc.com/hunt...an-guides.html

These guys do brown bears in southeast AK with a boat...well respected father/daughter team. They made a video a few years back...Safari Press still sells it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link! One of the better ones I've researched so far.

Quote Originally Posted by zr2paul View Post
    To be honest its more of my Dad's idea to lodge in a boat then travel/hunt by smaller boat then by foot. I dont think my Dad wants to travel by bush plane, Im not sure why as my Dad flies 100,000's of miles a year with commercial jets. I would love to do a fly-in to a remote camp and hunt by foot, that's how I would love to experience my first Alaskan Hunt.

Yes this would be a 100% guided hunt and we would like to stay together when hunting so a 2x1 is what we are hoping for BUT no limited to. Litzen Guided services seems like my first choice so far from what I have seen.

If it were my choice I'd like to choose a guide where I can maximize my chance at shooting the largest bear possible AND enjoying a quality hunt.

Paul
    I gottcha Paul and I understand where your dad is coming from. Litzens boat based hunts are a pretty sweet gig for a peninsula hunt so I would look long and hard at em but as always I reccommend doing lots of homework..

Thanks Bear! I think my next step is to do some research as to what areas of Alaska I should be looking at and see which is best suited for our needs before picking a guide. I'll just pick everyone's brain on the forum

Paul

I would look for someone down around Admiralty area. Boat based hunts are big in Southeast, Ketchikan ahas a few like Primo Excursions, but Brownies aren't known for their size down there in the Ketch area.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I would look for someone down around Admiralty area. Boat based hunts are big in Southeast, Ketchikan ahas a few like Primo Excursions, but Brownies aren't known for their size down there in the Ketch area.
    Thats one of my issues...Id like to hunt somewhere that allows me access to some of the bigger browns. I figure around south central Alaska I'd be better off. Im still no familiar with the areas that offer large size browns.

Paul

I should been clearer, Southern SE alaska brownies are on teh smaller size. Go up around the ABC's, Admirarlty, Baranof, Chichagof and they have size. I got a good buddy that took a solid 9.5 there 2 springs ago.

you are much more likely to have a larger bear on the peninsula, but keep in mind, 10 foot bears aren't everywhere, i've killed them in unit 13. so you can get one just about anywhere if you happen to be the lucky guy. the boat thing don't appeal to me, i like to hunt on the ground where the bears are. spike camping and mt based camps are much more my speed. but if your looking for uping the odds at a large bear i'd avoid SE and stick to the peninsula, heard good things about litzen as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

litzens guide service is pretty top notch for penninsula brownies. I know he provides boat based hunts down there but it also comes with the option to spike when needed. know that the weather can be nasty and he rolls on a 100'+ boat with a cook....its a good way to go. And a true 10'er is harder to come by than people think...just remember this...... you gotta pass on the big bears to get the oppertunity at a giant!

Wether its a 10'er or not, shoot a bear that looks good and would make a great trophy and enjoy the experience because that is what your paying for!