Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jigging Rods Revisited

Default Jigging Rods Revisited

Yeah, I know the "favorite jigging rod" question has been raised before, but I'm looking for a little more specific information. I'm thinking of purchasing dedicated jigging rods this year to be used specifically for lings/yelloweye with the thought that there are some big halibut that hang out in the same areas at times. I can get good pricing on Okuma, so I'm primarily interested in them and specifically the Cedros as they are in my price range. If someone thinks there is a far superior rod in the same size and price category I'd be interested in hearing that, but I'm not starting this to hear ALL the information rehashed previously in the other threads.

I guess specifically I'm wondering if anyone uses the Cedros Speed Jig 601M or the 661M and if so what your thoughts are regarding them? Those are the two I'd probably be most interested in getting. I want something that will be a little more exciting to catch lings and rockfish with than my favorite Tica halibut rods, but would also like something that could handle a bigger halibut if someone happened to hook into one. I realize neither of them have a gimbal, but since they're primarily going to be for jigging a gimbal really isn't a prime consideration.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I am a big fan of these rods. For the money I find them hard to beat. For your application I would stick with the 50-100# rods either conventional or spinning . My personal preference is spinning and have both types mated to Fin Nor Offshore model reels....great combos.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I am a fan of the cedros jigging rods, they are a good value IMO. Have had mine for 2 full seasons and have not had any durability issues with it yet. I prefer the trevala xxh, I think it is a more sporty rod, but it is also costs a little more, and if you have to buy a full compliment of them, that extra cost will add up. Last spring, trustworthy hardware had the trevala xxh, several grades of the cedros, and also an okuma andros, all on sale at outstanding prices. I picked up a trevala and andros for 99 each. The andros is a pretty sweet rod IMO, but it is a little lighter weight than the cedros. I hope trustworthy has the same sale, I will be adding to my arsenal.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've used super seeker blue lightings, trevalla xh and xxh, and an okuma cedros (as I recall 270-325 gr) rods for jigging bottom fish and have used jigs from 4 oz to 24 oz. And I've come to the conclusion that there is no best rod, you really need to try and narrow down what you want to the rod to work best at, and then make your decision.

The trevala and cedros are fairly similar rods, under 6' long and a nearly parabolic bend. Personally I prefer the trevala xxh as it feels more responsive and it seems to work better over a wider range of jig weights. It doesn't make sense, but to the trevala will give sub 8 oz and lighter jigs better action than the cedros, and with 16oz and heavier jigs the trevala has more backbone whereas the cedros feels overloaded. So for personal use I'd say the trevala is worth the extra expense, for a charter boat I'd likely save the $ and figure most clients will be plenty happy with the cedros.

Also my personal preference is for the super seekers when using lead heads, but I prefer the trevala for metal bodied jigs.

You can catch fish on any of them, but once you get the jigging fever you start wanting to try different rods and start developing preferences. At this point I run a pair of the super seekers, the trevala xh and xxh. The seem to suit my needs and most people who fish with me aren't as picky so I can swap rods at will. I mostly use the xxh trevala with 12 oz and heavier jigs, and will grab the xh for 8oz and lighter. I'd like to try a jigging master 250gr rod one of these days.

It's not so much that jigging rods make the fishing more exciting, they make it so much less effort compared to a pool cue boat rod. You can lift a decent sized fish with no problem and haven't been worn out with the heavy boat road before you've hooked a fish. Having a jigging rod with a gimbal isn't a bad thing as I like using a fighting belt for larger fish. Then again I've used the fighting belt with non gimbal rods (the seekers) with no problem.

Once you figure out the rod part, then you need to figure out the reel. I'd highly recomend keeping the reel weight to 24 oz or less. Keeping the reel light makes for a much more ejoyable rod to fish, but getting a light reel with sufficient drag can get spendy fast. The Avet JX single speed is a solid reel coming in at 20oz but I wish they had just a tad more drag, 15# striker 20# max is good, but 20# strike 25# max would be my preference, but not everyone is going to want that much drag. Just make sure the reel you choose can take the pounding on the antireverse pall from jigging, reels not designed for that use will fail on you.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have two of the 661MH's and absolutely love them. I put Charter specials on them and they are amazing to jig with and fun to fish for halibut as well. One heck of a fishing rod and I haven't had any issues with them either. I plan on getting two more this spring and putting the same reel on too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

anyone using the penn jigmaster reels ?? yeah i'm a old guy !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sorry...just looked at the models and the ones you are looking at are 30-65#. I haven`t tried those wieghts yet so can`t give you any real opinion...haven`t even seen one on the shelf. The ones I am currently using are #CJ-C-661H/#CJ-S-601MH

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I am a fan of the cedros jigging rods, they are a good value IMO. Have had mine for 2 full seasons and have not had any durability issues with it yet.
    I've kept 6 of them on my boat for the last four years, and they've had heavy use. So far the only casualty was a tip guide someone slammed in the lid of my rod locker and crushed without hurting the blank. Certainly not the rod's fault, and an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    That's just plain silly Steve!

I have a tote full of Senators and other flavors of Penn's that get no action. And I don't think it's age...maybe just some winter fever.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yep, I am using two of them in fact, to remind me of all the fun days I actually used them! Great reel to cast off the rocks, I really enjoyed them but the knuckles got too arthritic to do all that thumbing to keep the line level reeling in...so went to level winds.

We haven't used any of the Okuma gear, but our jigging rods are 8' Shemano Cennan rods, 15-40# rated, and we use a Penn 975 Baitcaster on one and a AbuGarcia Toro 60 HS on the other, spooled with 50# PowerPro...really like the high speed retrieves and level winds when doing a lot of jigging, nice light setups, not too pricey, and have held up for lots of use...private, though, so not nearly what charter rigs go through. And, we rarely jig over 10-12 oz.

LOL! I really appreciate the myriad of suggestions here and the outpouring of assistance, and not to sound unappreciative of the effort everyone put into their answers, but all I really wanted to know was if anyone uses the specific rods I asked about---the Cedros 601M or 661M. I guess maybe I should have just asked that question and left it at that.

As I said, I can get "special" pricing on them, so that's why I wanted to know about them specifically. I will be purchasing a bunch of whatever rod I purchase since I'll be using them as charter rods, so price is paramount in that decision. I know the Trevala's are great rods, but I'm not sure about getting special pricing on them. Not to mention they're probably going to be more expensive anyway which would be a deal breaker.

I'm not really concerned about "getting a feel for them" because they'll be fished primarily by my clients and I very rarely get anyone that could even tell the weight difference between one rod or another. Especially between the rods I normally use. I don't use "pool cue" boat rods even as dedicated halibut rods---the Tica Big Game Alaskan is a great rod, and is far from "pool cue" status, but it's rated for heavier line and "bait/lures" than I'd typically use for lings/yelloweye. So I want to give my clients the most "bang for their buck" and make jigging up and pulling in a 15 lb. yelloweye, or 40 lb. ling a little more "exciting" than what a rod rated for 100 lb. braid and 24 oz. will provide for them. I'd probably just try my favorite 7 ft. UglyStiks if I REALLY wanted to make it "sporting" for myself, but clients that have never fished for those species usually don't have the skill set to go that route.

And I HAVE considered going the "spinning" route, too. I was watching some fishing program the other day and they were using spinning outfits instead. Looks like it would be a great route to take. BUT I do have my favorite conventional reels and for clients it's probably a little easier to manage.

So, thanks to those of you that did address my specific question AND thanks to all for all the other assistance! It is appreciated!!

I have the 601XH, and you are correct to not go that heavy. It's a little bit stiff for most tasks. I'd more likely opt H or MH next time around. Err on the heavier side if using lots of 1lb+ leadheads.

Default Jigging Rods Revisited

I am not sure about the M, haven't used them. I have three of the 661H and absolutely love them.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Well, I guess my question was answered: No one on this forum uses the 601M or 661M. So I guess I'll have to buy a bunch and let you all know what I think of them. Stay tuned!

Just curious why you'd want a jigging rod rated for 1-5 oz for rockfish and lingcod out of K-bay? The reason no one is using the 601 or 661 is you can use your salmon rod for the lighter jigs, and a dedicated jigging rod should be rated in the 8-16 oz range.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just curious why you'd want a jigging rod rated for 1-5 oz for rockfish and lingcod out of K-bay? The reason no one is using the 601 or 661 is you can use your salmon rod for the lighter jigs, and a dedicated jigging rod should be rated in the 8-16 oz range.
    The reason I'm asking about those rods in particular is because, like I said in my OP, I really am not interested in hearing "ALL the information rehashed previously in the other threads." And like I said, if I was fishing by myself I might be tempted to try using my UglyStik salmon rods, but I take a lot of people out that have never fished for those species, or that have never fished before. So I'd like to use a "beefier" rod, but would prefer a rod "rated" on the lighter side of the equation rather than the heavier side such as the Tica's I already use which I would say are probably in about the same class as a 601MH or 601H. Which is why I asked specifically if anyone out there uses either of those rods. I personally don't believe just because a rod is "rated" by the manufacturer for a specific sized jig that it won't jig well with a jig that's slightly heavier. Yeah, maybe if you go out and fish with them repeatedly you'd find a specific rod that "floats your boat" better than another one, but like I said, I'm taking people out that, for the most part, don't know subtle differences. These rods are rated for the line size I'd be using and if I can get away with using slightly heavier jigs I'd be happy and my clients would be happier. I want a rod that will be in between using an UglyStik or my Ticas and they seem like they'd be a good choice to me.

I'm so confused now. So, you want a "beefy" rod but a lighter rod? While we didn't answer your question as you wanted, we advised you of what we use and like heavier and lighter of the rod you questioned. Not saying your discounted rod availablility is the wrong one. Just not what most use. I think both the 601M and 661M are too light for most rockfishing. But the beauty of Alaskas fishing is you can use just about anything and have fun.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I'm so confused now. So, you want a "beefy" rod but a lighter rod? While we didn't answer your question as you wanted, we advised you of what we use and like heavier and lighter of the rod you questioned. Not saying your discounted rod availablility is the wrong one. Just not what most use. I think both the 601M and 661M are too light for most rockfishing. But the beauty of Alaskas fishing is you can use just about anything and have fun.
    Well, I'm not so sure what's so confusing. I think I've said a few times now in this particular thread, I really wanted to know if anyone uses the 601M or 661M without hearing about all the other rods people like for jigging. Here's what I said in my OP: "I guess specifically I'm wondering if anyone uses the Cedros Speed Jig 601M or the 661M and if so what your thoughts are regarding them?" That's a pretty specific question and one that wasn't answered by any of the replies I got other than the fact that not a single person replied that they do indeed use either of those rods. I wish I had just asked that VERY specifically, and I really thought that saying what I just quoted would weed out all the other and totally extraneous comments because I already know what people think about all those other rods. It has been "discussed" numerous times in other threads.

So, yes, I would like a "beefier" rod than my UglyStik salmon rods (like I said in my last post), but one that isn't as "beefy" as the 601MH or heavier. I already have rods that equate to those heavier rods and they're rods I'm very happy with. If you look at the specs for Okuma Cedros Speed Jig rods the 601M and/or 661M would qualify as rods that aren't as "beefy" as those particularly "beefier" rods, but are "beefier" than an UglyStik. Yes, I can read the specs for all of these rods, and, yes, I know what they are all rated for, and, yes, I know exactly what rods everyone LIKES using because it has been discussed a number of times before, but all I wanted to know (for at least the 2nd or 3rd or maybe even the 4th time now) is if anyone uses the 601M or 661M, and if so what their thoughts are about them. Why is such a simple question so hard to understand?

So, once again, if anyone has used either the 601M or 661M and has any thoughts about THOSE particular rods, please tell me what those thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    .....If someone thinks there is a far superior rod in the same size and price category I'd be interested in hearing that, but I'm not starting this to hear ALL the information rehashed previously in the other threads......

I think you're confusing folks because in your Original Post you said you would be interested in hearing info about rods in the same size and price if they were far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Well, I'm not so sure what's so confusing. ....... Why is such a simple question so hard to understand?

So, once again, if anyone has used either the 601M or 661M and has any thoughts about THOSE particular rods, please tell me what those thoughts are.
    I have had phenomenal success with a lighter jig rod in the $95 dollar range I use for Rock Fish/Lings that has also hauled up a 75lb halibut... but I didn't respond due to the fear of upsetting the Muttley Crew and getting belittled for being helpful and confused.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Good luck in your search for a Cedros rod then. They are all GREAT RODS. Pick one and fish!
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast