Thread: Need a moose cape..

Default Need a moose cape..

I have a friend in IN thats looking for a moose cape. If anyone has one for sale let me know and I will put you in contact with him. Thanks!

I know this guy and I'm sure this is a good cape. He is an Assistant guide and knows how to cape an animal.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...se-cape-4-sale
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have one from a 54 inch bull.

It is turned & salted.

call me if you still need one.

On a side note; Just because someone is a Guide doesnt insure they know how to properly cape an animal.

We CONSTANTLY get in things that have the Back corners of the eyes cut off, or the ear butts cut off half way up the ear, or the lips cut up or cut off by someone that was in a hurry to get done.

Let alone the amount of skin & hair left on the burs of the antlers. or the many cut lines down the back that we have to fix.

Not saying that that guy does but just saying that just because someone thinks they know what their doing doesnt meen they are doing it right.

Look at Taxidermy, Anyone can do it but is it done right ???

RJ Simington
    907 322 0936

Thanks RJ but the bull he shot was 68". I know nothing about tax work but I assume that yours would be to small??

Stid- Thanks, I sent a pm to AFhunter to see if he still has his. It looks like it came off the same sized moose..

OK,
    Ya didnt say what size it was.

I just sold 2 60 plus incher capes for $300.each.

Opps sorry about that. I was just told by someone that a 54-55" bull should fit fine, just need to check the base spread. Is this true? If so I will pm you the guys name and ph to talk with if you want.

Default Need a moose cape..

Keep in mind an older bull will regress so a mature 65+ can be in the same body/neck size as a 55".

Get a measurement between the burs and go from there. Perhaps RJ can make a neck measurement recommendation so everything remains proportionate.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Actually yes in some cases.

My bull that I killed this year had a 40 inch neck, measured on the meat after skinning.

The same size bull I killed 2 years ago had only a 36 inch neck & had a lot smaller bases.

A taxidermist that has any experience at all can work it out, to a certain extent.

This year we had to put a cape from a 50" on a 63" Bull, because that is the cape the guy brought in & didnt want to pay for a larger one.

Also alot of the width has to with the fact that it might just be extra long points or weird times that make it that wide even though the main frame is only 50 inches.

Moose are weird.

Just part of the job.

RJ Simington

My cape is of the highest quality. All of the common mistakes folks make on a cape are not made on any of my (or my client's) animals. The moose cape I have is still for sale. The cape is soft tanned. It came off a 63" bull I harvested--look left--that's the bull.