Thread: Toughest animal in AK

Default Toughest animal in AK

So this morning I step outside to grab some firewood, there's a bunny, 10yds. Grab my recurve as I've been out everyday practicing, I can hit him, it's still dark but full moon light out. Let it fly, he did that death wobble and fell over. Put the bow up grab my flashlight and boots, let the dog out, rabbit is gone???? There he is, trying to hop thru the fence, arrow still stuck in his head, he runs off up the yard at full speed, under the fence, gone, with the arrow!!!! Not gonna knock on the neighbors door at 0600 so it'll have to wait till this afternoon. That's the 2nd time I've had a head shot bunny run off with an arrow, I'm really glad they're not 800lbs, they'd be impossible to kill.

I emptied my 7 shot clip of my Marlin Mod 25 when I was kid on a bunny. Took all 7 shots in the head. Could not figure out why he went down until I was about 2 feet from him. He was frozen solid sitting up right under a spruce sapling. BTW, I honesly think the toughest animal in Alaska is the Raven. When talking to USFW a few years back, a test was actually done on a raven and polar bear. Raven withstood -135 Abient temp and the polar bear was getting close to going down. At least that is what they told us in a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So this morning I step outside to grab some firewood, there's a bunny, 10yds. Grab my recurve as I've been out everyday practicing, I can hit him, it's still dark but full moon light out. Let it fly, he did that death wobble and fell over. Put the bow up grab my flashlight and boots, let the dog out, rabbit is gone???? There he is, trying to hop thru the fence, arrow still stuck in his head, he runs off up the yard at full speed, under the fence, gone, with the arrow!!!! Not gonna knock on the neighbors door at 0600 so it'll have to wait till this afternoon. That's the 2nd time I've had a head shot bunny run off with an arrow, I'm really glad they're not 800lbs, they'd be impossible to kill.
    Haha, thanks for the laugh. That must have been a sight to see.

I would love to know how the raven vs. polar bear test was conducted...

I have to say the magpie is pretty tough too. I had one withstand a session in my German Shepherds mouth and a couple 22lr to the chest and still flew away. I though I was putting him out of his misery with the rifle but I was mistaken...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Gone4Now View Post
    I would love to know how the raven vs. polar bear test was conducted...
    If I remember correctly from the briefing, it was done in a controlled environment in Canada in the 80's.

Ahh, the 80's...those were the days you could stuff a polar bear in a freezer in the name of science. I don't mean to make light of your information Chico, it's just the idea of it and the way you related it struck me as funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    In my experience, you should be using blunts . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    In my experience, you should be using blunts . . . . .

Unless you don't have enough Doritoes when your finished....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.