Thread: Old style Bearcat owners

Default Old style Bearcat owners

One of the things I've always hated about the old BCs was that the metal skis were terrible. In reverse, they just dug right in and unless it was hardpacked, you weren't going anywhere.
    So I picked up a set of the new Pilot skis the Skandics come with. You have to grind about 1/8 of an inch off the spindle side, either inside or outside, and drill out the steel insert that comes with the skis (drill out just a hair to fit the Cat bolt) and it literally fits perfectly using the old Cat bumper. Those skis make a huge difference in performance with the BC. Now I can reverse all over the place even in deep snow, it also steers better. Great upgrade on the older machines.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

what were the price of these skis? I have the plastic skis on our 2000 440 and they do quite well. but if those are cheap, i'm interested.

The whole kit was $300 including handles and carbides. Not cheap, but not horrendous either.
    Like I said, now I can reverse. I wasn't expecting the difference to be so great.
    This was taken last weekend and you can see how they look on it. The upswept tapered back of the ski is the key I think.
    Jan Squig 008.jpg
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.