Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home built trailer question

Default Home built trailer question

Last summer I found the boat of my dreams for the right price. I didn't pay much attention to the trailer until the tag expired. I didn't get a title with the trailer, just a current registration. The DMV won't register it to me without the title. The seller told me he had to say it was home built. But clearly it is not. It has Easy Loader stickers all over it. I know its not stolen I know the history. Everyone I talk to that has home built trailers say that the DMV won't inspect them but their web site says they will. Do I become a LIAR?

No, contact Easy Loader and look for any ser number on the trailer.

I already emailed Easy Loader, no response from them. There is what appears to be an information sticker on the tongue that is all faded. I haven't found any numbers stamped on it anywhere.

I've registered a couple trailers that way and they've never looked at them. In fact I've never brought one with me how could I it wasn't licensed. You won't have any problems.

That's what I want to hear!

I'm a little confuse, it does not matter if the trailer tags are expired he can still give you the title for the trailer because it's still in his name. So why can't you just ask for the title? If he said he lost the title, all he has to do is get a new title from the DMV.

One more thing the last time I needed a title for a home made trailer I had to give then receipts of the parts I use to build it with and they made copies them.

I brought a trailer up from OK that I built. They didn't ask for any reciepts. When I told them that it was homemade, they asked if it had a serial #; I told them it did not and they serialed numbered a data sticker and titled the trailer, sight unseen. If the guy registered it as homemade, he has a title, because DMV titles them before registering. Sounds like he needs to go to DMV and file for lost title to get a new one.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Like others have said, the guy can get a new title with no problems...... unless there is a lien on the trailer or some other problem. All he has to do is file for a "lost or stolen title" form and the DMV will issue him a new title, he signs it over to you and you are good to go... The only time this does not work is if he is not the owner on the title...

There are other options as well, you can do an abandoned vehicle on it as well. Its been sitting at your house for while right.... well then its been abandoned there. Fill out the paperwork, mail the letters required and after a short wait you will end up with a title..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm trying to write a lengthy reply here but the web site keeps timing out on me. I guess I type slow.

The boat and trailer was originally owned by ADF&G Research. The trailer has a sticker on it that says as much. Then there is a Chickaloon Native Corp sticker on the trailer with a bar code. I guess they got it from F&G. The guy that sold it to me is the owner's son. The father claimed it as homebuilt after he bought it at an auction. **** this is complicated, I just want to be able to go fishing!

You have the trailer and a bill of sale, yes ? Take the bill of sale and the existing registration to the DMV, do a title search in the name on the registration, last I checked it costs $5 to do a title search. Now you have a title and a bill of sale. Transfer the title and get a new registration .

Yes, I do have a bill of sale, a trailer, and an expired registration and tag. I can't find the original serial number from easy loader, but there is a serial number from the DMV issued for the home build.

Take what you have along with towing the trailer to your local DMV office. You have the serial number on the old registration. They can pull up a new title with it, and transfer it all to you. Really a simple process unless you go to the main DMV office in Spenard, if you go there, everything is a clusterf##k. I did a newly built home made trailer this past spring at the Palmer office, took 5 min waiting in line, 5 min for the lady to walk out and put a tag on the trailer, and a couple minutes to print up the paperwork. I've done vehicles with lost titles just as easily. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks for all of your help and advice guys! I'm still going to go over the entire frame to see if I can find the original serial number from Easy Loader. I have already been down to DMV once with the expired registration. As soon as I mentioned homebuilt she pretty much said the previous owner should have a title. He tells me to claim it as homebuilt again, because he supposedly never got a title for it. All I know is I need to get this taken care of before spring. No way am I gonna let this stop me from fishing and hunting!

Ok, let try this, you have the trailer license plate number and the person name. Go to DMV and ask them if the trailer is license to that person.

Did that yesterday. They told me there was a title registered to him under the home built number. I've tried emailing him and calling. All he has to do is go down to the DMV and get a duplicate title for me. No response yet.

You can always do and "abandoned vehicle" on it if the guy does not get back to you. PM me if you want the details. My wife does this sort of thing for a living as we own Auto titles of Alaska.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks again everyone for your time and advice! I finally got in touch with the seller, he went to DMV and got me a duplicate title and all is well.

Good timing on reopening this thread. I'm about to tow a boat from FL to Anchorage, and it's on a homebuilt trailer. But I don't have a title and there will never be a title, no matter what, because FL doesn't title trailers under 2k lbs; they only register them. So am I bringing up a worthless trailer that I can never tag in AK? Should I just buy a brand new trailer and title/tag in AK using the bill of sale from the FL trailer dealer? (LOT more money.)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Good timing on reopening this thread. I'm about to tow a boat from FL to Anchorage, and it's on a homebuilt trailer. But I don't have a title and there will never be a title, no matter what, because FL doesn't title trailers under 2k lbs; they only register them. So am I bringing up a worthless trailer that I can never tag in AK? Should I just buy a brand new trailer and title/tag in AK using the bill of sale from the FL trailer dealer? (LOT more money.)
    I would think your Florida registration (if that's all Florida has) should convert into an Alaska title. Contact the AKDMV and ask them what you will need to get it licensed here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast