View Poll Results: Greatest threat to ungulate populations?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hunting

9 15.79%
  • Disease

4 7.02%
  • Predation

19 33.33%
  • Environmental Change

8 14.04%
  • Loss of Habitat (human caused)

29 50.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Threat to Ungulate Populations

AniWahaya

Default Greatest Threat to Ungulate Populations

In your opinion, what is the greatest threat to ungulate populations?

Habitat destruction and fragmentation, without a doubt. Worldwide the two greatest drivers of species extinction are habitat loss and invasive species. Everything else pales in comparison to these two threats.

I agree with Brian.

If the first choice had been worded 'over-hunting', it would be a close 2nd or even 1st in some cases.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Habitat destruction and fragmentation, without a doubt. Worldwide the two greatest drivers of species extinction are habitat loss and invasive species. Everything else pales in comparison to these two threats.

I agree, however right here we have good habitat, and near zero moose. I feel around here to many Bears is the problem. I have watched three newborn calves stalked and killed by bears.

Number two here would be hit by cars or trucks But more bears get killed on the Hope Road than Moose.

Brian nailed it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Commercial Fishing (someone had to beat tvf to it).
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Assault weapons (someone has to beat FL2Ak to it).

Government, and not even on the poll. Must have been deleted already!

I had to vote for Predation. It is the most widespread and common reason. Loss of Habitat (caused by man) doesn't even apply in Alaska as far as I am concerned. Environmental change in habitat is a valid reason if you include the lack of fires, not "GLOBAL WARMING CAUSED BY YOUR POLLUTING PICKUP TRUCK"
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    I Loss of Habitat (caused by man) doesn't even apply in Alaska as far as I am concerned. Environmental change in habitat is a valid reason if you include the lack of fires...
    Mike - Is lack of fires not caused by man, and isn't that a form of habitat loss? The Kenai Peninsula is exhibit A - a formerly productive habitat has been dramatically changed due to suppression of fire. Why have fires been suppressed? Misguided management policies, perhaps, but it cannot be argued that is hasn't been driven by increased housing and recreational properties. I suppose you could call this a habitat shift rather than loss, but regardless, the habitat that once was there is no longer.

We may not have sprawling cities and endless suburbia in Alaska like much of the lower 48, nor have we converted vast acreage to agricultural use like the midwest, but I firmly believe that the greatest threat (as in future threat) to Alaska's ungulates is related to habitat, not predators.

Where I live in 16b it would have been predation. Since the bear eradication program, Moose have made a dramatic comeback. Several easy winters in a row also hepled the cause. Last years deep snowfall hasnt seem to hurt our unit too bad. I dont think loss of habitat has been a problem here but would be number one cause in my mind in heavy populated areas. I have not had any problem getting a winter Moose in the last four years.

Man I really wish I could vote in this poll but it is so subjective and open ended. I wish the person who created this poll was a little more specific. I mean are we talking only about Alaskan ungulates, North American ungulates, African Ungulates etc.??? Each situation is very different. I would say if you are talking about caribou in Alaska, predation by wolves is the greatest threat. If we are talking about moose in many of the Southcentral units, then I would say grizzly bears eating calves is the greatest threat. Now if we are talking about whitetail deer or elk in the lower 48, then possibly the greatest threat is habitat loss or diseases. If we are talking about African game then my guess would be poaching. It is too broad of a question to have a one answer fits all scenarios in my opinion. Certainly habitat loss is a factor.

That is the truth for most species of animals on the planet.

AniWahaya,
    You’re talking about Alaska’s ungulates, the Bison, Musk Ox, Moose, Elk, Black-tail Deer, Dall Sheep, Mt. Goat and Caribou?? Hunting in certain areas, Predators in others and lastly the Ungulates themselves over-using areas due to overpopulation.

If the question is worldwide, Habitat destruction (mankind)

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    That is the truth for most species of animals on the planet.
    But the original creator of the poll did not say "most species", he or she said ungulates. Most animal species in the world are insects. About 75% I believe. The most abundant vertebrate animal in the world that would be a fish. So if you are taking about ALL animals, now the problem becomes exponentially more complex. But again the guy or gal who first wrote this said the greatest threat to ungulates. Let's be more specific guys.

What is there about this:

Forum > Alaska Resource Management Forums > Alaska Game Management > Greatest Threat to Ungulate Populations

that would cause members to question if the OP intended the subject to refer to Worldwide, or Africa, or anyplace other than Alaska? Just say'n.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What is there about this:

Forum > Alaska Resource Management Forums > Alaska Game Management > Greatest Threat to Ungulate Populations

That would cause members to question if the OP intended the question to refer to Worldwide, or Africa, or anyplace other than Alaska? Just say'n.
    Well then, I would say predation. Thanks for the clarification Taiga. I might have voted differently but since it is specifically an Alaskan scenario I can't imagine habitat loss would be the greatest threat. Certainly habitat is a limiting factor but not a threat in my opinion. But again we are talking only about Alaskan ungulates. For alaskan carnivores, pinnepeds, cetaceans, rodents, and lagomorphs etc. it could be an entirely different case.

AniWahaya

Yeah, umm.. My apologies for not being more specific but the poll is in re to Alaska ungulates only.. I thought that was a given, but, I guess not. The question is also multiple choice. There simply would not be enough room to get into specifics re specific areas of the state etc..

Quote Originally Posted by AniWahaya View Post
    Yeah, umm.. My apologies for not being more specific but the poll is in re to Alaska ungulates only.. I thought that was a given, but, I guess not. The question is also multiple choice. There simply would not be enough room to get into specifics re specific areas of the state etc..
    Oh no. No apology necessary, but I wonder if the poll is a little skewed now. If some of the people who had already voted would have known we were only talking about Alaskan ungulates (hoofed mammals), then maybe they would have chosen differently. Just sayin.

AniWahaya

Well, after reading thousands of posts by most who replied to this poll, I'm going to make the assumption that they know what an ungulate is and that I was referring to Alaska. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Oh no. No apology necessary, but I wonder if the poll is a little skewed now. If some of the people who had already voted would have known we were only talking about Alaskan ungulates (hoofed mammals), then maybe they would have chosen differently. Just sayin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast