Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outhouse lantern

Default Outhouse lantern

I read on here about someone using a lantern to add some heat to the outhouse. I searched but couldn't find it.

What kind of lantern would work?

Thanks

there was a discussion on candle lanterns and keeping a tent warm in another thread( cant remember which one right now) but a colman or any propane or fuel based lantern should give off a grip of heat. gonna be reading a novel in there?

I don't know about heat sources in outhouses, but I do know a great way to keep that rim tolerably warm. Some time ago a friend showed me his trick: he made a ring out of one of those closed-cell military foam pads. Set that atop the rim and you're in business while you do your business! Works great!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

how about a metal coffee can and some briquettes

I bought a Dietz Jupiter kerosene lamp to put in mine. Has a large fuel tank and will burn for many hours. Lehmans Non Electric sells them. I have not used it yet but it should help a little.

Default heat

I'm sure you guys know this already but; a metal coffee can, roll of toilet paper, and bottle of denatured alcohal and a match has warmed our shanties lots of times. Put the lid on when it gets to warm. Relight over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by daveybug View Post
    I bought a Dietz Jupiter kerosene lamp to put in mine. Has a large fuel tank and will burn for many hours. Lehmans Non Electric sells them. I have not used it yet but it should help a little.

would not want to use the last roll for heat, that briquette would be quite uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I don't know about heat sources in outhouses, but I do know a great way to keep that rim tolerably warm. Some time ago a friend showed me his trick: he made a ring out of one of those closed-cell military foam pads. Set that atop the rim and you're in business while you do your business! Works great!

-Mike
    Oh Mike, you know blue board is better and much more Alaskan! I usually don't spend any more time in the outhouse than I need to so a regular propane lantern has served me well.

I use the blue foam already... Not as classy as some!

The warm up the outhouse question is for the guests not accustomed to -40 and an outhouse. Propane lantern doesn't work. Maybe I'll pull out my old Coleman white gas lantern?

Thanks for the humorous replies!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
    I use the blue foam already... Not as classy as some!

The warm up the outhouse question is for the guests not accustomed to -40 and an outhouse. Propane lantern doesn't work. Maybe I'll pull out my old Coleman white gas lantern?

Thanks for the humorous replies!
    Personally, I judge outhouse seating by how it feels under cheek in the dark at -40, and blue foam wins the prize. As for the guests, I'd say send them out the door with TP roll in hand; them that are worth keeping around will quickly become "accustomed".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    I'm sure you guys know this already but; a metal coffee can, roll of toilet paper, and bottle of denatured alcohal and a match has warmed our shanties lots of times. Put the lid on when it gets to warm. Relight over and over.

great idea ergoman, had not heard of that before.

Google penny stoves, and get a large can of Chicken... Save and clean out the can and use it to house and stabilize the stove. Won't burn too long and with just a couple table spoons of fuel per usage. There you go.

George

Default alcohol heater

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    ergoman,

Iím not quite following how this works. Do you drop a small wad of burning toilet paper into the can to light the alcohol, or do you put a roll into the can containing the alcohol, and the toilet paper becomes a wick?

And then you can handily douse the flame with the original plastic coffee can lid? There's no need to improvise a metal lid?

Used as follows:

Remove cardboard core from toilet paper and place roll in coffee can.
    Pour alcohol in can over toilet paper.
    Cover with plastic lid until need to use.

To use, toss match or lighted tinder piece into can(alcohol will not burst into flame, but always be careful when lighting things). Can produces hot smokeless flame. Only top portion of can gets hot, botton of can stays cool.

When done smother fire, wait a minute or two and cover with plastic lid. Pack and go. When using please consider it is an open flame and will require some ventilation for safety. Also do not use plastic lid to smother fire.

This little heater is great as a light source and great little heater to warm hands and heat water without the hassle of gathering wood for quick fire. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Used as follows:

Remove cardboard core from toilet paper and place roll in coffee can.
    Pour alcohol in can over toilet paper.
    Cover with plastic lid until need to use.

To use, toss match or lighted tinder piece into can(alcohol will not burst into flame, but always be careful when lighting things). Can produces hot smokeless flame. Only top portion of can gets hot, botton of can stays cool.

When done smother fire, wait a minute or two and cover with plastic lid. Pack and go. When using please consider it is an open flame and will require some ventilation for safety. Also do not use plastic lid to smother fire.

This little heater is great as a light source and great little heater to warm hands and heat water without the hassle of gathering wood for quick fire. Enjoy!

pacific23,

A good tutorial, thank you.

rifleman

Quote Originally Posted by daveybug View Post
    This is the ticket right, you guys. Mennonite and Amish farmers have been using those lanterns to heat barns and outhouses for generations. The kerosene burns hot and slow, so it's cheaper to run than other fuel sources, keeps the area warm for many nights on one tank of fuel.

I tired to heat our outhouse using one of those Coleman propane catalytic type heaters. Nothing doing. Waste of fuel and money. (Although it will met those little plastic travel boxes of baby wipes.) I ended up giving the heater to my girlfriend's brother for his pop up camper.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Robot uses Ken to keep the seat warm.

Ken? Is robot in the closet?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Ken? Is robot in the closet?
    Nope

Then I would have thought he would have preferred Barbie.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast