Thread: How much ammo can a passenger take on commercial flight....???

Default How much ammo can a passenger take on commercial flight....???

Is there a limit.....????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there a limit.....????

Each airline has their own policy. This is Alaska Airlines.

Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...-firearms.aspx
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

In my experience Alaska Air is the most liberal with their policy. I've seen others that are limited to two boxes.

Thank You for that Information. I am thinking that I may have found a use for my 200,000 Alaska Airline miles That I never planed to ever use.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Each airline has their own policy. This is Alaska Airlines.

Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...-firearms.aspx

This is per person on the flight. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    This is per person on the flight. Good luck.
    Well......if that was a cryptic message, it went over my head.

You are old He met bring a friend and double the amount I'm sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'll be testing out the 50lb limit this weekend.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    OK......Does anyone know how close Alaska Airlines flies to the HSM ammo manufacturer in Montana.

I hauled an entire case of 9mm on a Delta flight in the way back when. They pitched a fit but it was under their 75lb limit at the time.

I believe they've reduced it since then and on international flights it's 11lbs.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You will be money ahead to buy ammo, have it trucked to a consolidator like American Fast Freight, Lynden or the like and have them barge/steam ship it up. It's a fairly simple process. Determine how much ammo you'd like to purchase, request weights and dimensions including the pallet from the shipper, call the various consolidators to identify the ones that will work with a one off, non business shipper, and request a quote for moving the ammo from the factory to Anchorage. I work in logistics so it's pretty straight forward. If you have a contact at HSM that is willing to sell you some ammo I may be interested in adding to your purchase and in that case I'd help with the freight/logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK......Does anyone know how close Alaska Airlines flies to the HSM ammo manufacturer in Montana.
    HSM is just south of Missoula in Stevensville. So about a 20 mile ride on US93.

I do Not have a contact at HSM...........But I have 200,000 AK. Air miles, and I have not been out of Alaska in 14 years.....and I am retired. Plus no one wants to buy the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    You will be money ahead to buy ammo, have it trucked to a consolidator like American Fast Freight, Lynden or the like and have them barge/steam ship it up. It's a fairly simple process. Determine how much ammo you'd like to purchase, request weights and dimensions including the pallet from the shipper, call the various consolidators to identify the ones that will work with a one off, non business shipper, and request a quote for moving the ammo from the factory to Anchorage. I work in logistics so it's pretty straight forward. If you have a contact at HSM that is willing to sell you some ammo I may be interested in adding to your purchase and in that case I'd help with the freight/logistics.

Default How much ammo can a passenger take on commercial flight....???

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yes to bring more ammo. Thanks

LOL.. I was wondering what your idea for the "use for my 200,000 Alaska Airline miles That I never planed to ever use" was going to be.. but that was eventually figured out. This post just makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I hauled an entire case of 9mm on a Delta flight in the way back when. They pitched a fit but it was under their 75lb limit at the time.

I believe they've reduced it since then and on international flights it's 11lbs.
    My wife has bought back about three case of the diff calibers we needed when she comes down for a vist here in Az and it not been a problem with Alaska Airlines so far.

We belong to the 49club that Alaskan Airlines offers to the people of Alaska .You get to free checked bags so we load up on diff cals we needed and ship back that way also

I've flown with ammo to AK several times. Alaska Air is wonderful. They never bat an eye, I just tell them when I check in I have guns/ammo in my checked bags. I try to keep the total bag weight right at 49.9 pounds. TSA always pulls my ammo out and inspects it. I usually have it in mil. cans that hold M1 rounds.

I don't say good things about United.

If I were planning to haul 50lbs of ammo, I would give myself a lot of extra time at check in. Airline policy, airline employees and TSA may all have different opinions. Bring your own copies of their policies and smile a lot.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    If I were planning to haul 50lbs of ammo, I would give myself a lot of extra time at check in. Airline policy, airline employees and TSA may all have different opinions. Bring your own copies of their policies and smile a lot.
    Great advice. A good attitude and a smile will take you alot further than a bad attitude and a smirk!
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun