Thread: Bayliner 2859 and the Bravo III sterndrive

Default Bayliner 2859 and the Bravo III sterndrive

It has been discussed that the Bravo III is not a durable unit when coupled with horsepower and a relatively heavy boat. Are there any recommendations on how to extend the life of this lower unit? What recommendations might be discussed to prolong the life of this unit? Do's and Don'ts? New boat to me, Bayliner 2859 with the 7.4L

There are a few 2859s here in Juneau with the BIII. From what I have seen the stern drive is ok with that combination, in both gas a diesel forms. My good friend has had trouble with the diesel itself not having enough power and blowing turbos because of the weight of the boat, but the drives have been ok.

Sobie2

Also look here. These folks are a great help...

http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/index.php

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Maybe add a drive shower http://www.driveshowers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greg01alaska View Post
    It has been discussed that the Bravo III is not a durable unit when coupled with horsepower and a relatively heavy boat. Are there any recommendations on how to extend the life of this lower unit? What recommendations might be discussed to prolong the life of this unit? Do's and Don'ts? New boat to me, Bayliner 2859 with the 7.4L
    I don't think they are a big problem. A man used to charter one very near the slip I had in Seward and he told every single problem he ever had with his bayliner, and the outdrive never came up. He had the 454. Normally, all I hear about 2859s is how much people like them. And I can see why, that's a lot of boat for the money.

Good to hear. Hope to read more reports similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Maybe add a drive shower http://www.driveshowers.com/

Interesting option. Is there anyone out there that uses this product? Are your results typical of the manufacturers results?

a lot of drive problems are directly connected to the red knob on your dashboard, just don't push it too far forward and when you do go easy !! Don't run the balls off it and it should be fine, make sure you are not over propped, make sure the u joints are in good shape(no noise when you turn the wheel hard over), check oil in the drive often.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by greg01alaska View Post
    Interesting option. Is there anyone out there that uses this product? Are your results typical of the manufacturers results?
    I've used one on my Bravo I drive for about 7-8 years now. I've not measured the temperature of the outdrive before vs. after installation, but it makes sense to me that it would be a benefit. Regardless of how cold Alaska water is, when the boat's on step the gearcase is out of the water. The drive shower picks up seawater and sprays it onto the upper part of the outdrive. It's simply a stainless steel tube with open ends that are below the waterline and point forward. The water that is picked up is forced out through holes drilled in the tube that direct the water onto the outdrive. Very simple setup and bolts on with no drilling. Will it make a difference? I don't know. But with the cost of a new outdrive, I think have one is not a bad idea.