Thread: Competitions taxidermists & YOU the hunter.

Default Competitions taxidermists & YOU the hunter.

What does Competition taxidermist do to benefit you the hunter ???

I have heard that guys that compete are waisting time while they should be mounting customers mounts , Or that they do not put that kind of quality into their every day customer mounts. This just makes me laugh. LOL

I would like to go over just a few benefits that your mounts can recieve , just be cause the guy competes & wins.

First off Being an NTA Certified Judge of taxidermy have seen the VERY BEST that the taxidermy industry has to offer & Some of the worst also.

The guys that compete & steadily win, Ribbons, Trophies, or other Major awards are showing that they have what it takes to keep up with the ever changing quality & standards that have transpired through the years.

If you have ever looked at a piece that was mounted in 1960 versus 2012 you should notice a great change right off.

We have better , more anitomical correct forms than we did.

We have better knowledge for correct shapes of Eyes, Ears, Nasal passages & propper alignment of skin. All of the atributes that make QUALITY Taxidermy

We have better schools, classes & seminars to help us understand the differences between just an average piece as compaired to a replication of the true species.

With Wildlife studies & all of the reference material that we have now days , there is no reason to have mounts that look like they were mounted in the early ages of taxidermy.

A competition taxidermist shows that they are willing to learn, & try to keep up with the times as they say.

This all carrys over to their customer mounts, whether they do actually spend more time on show pieces or not.

You can look at their mounts & see that there is somethng a little different in their taxidermy, Whether it is Full septums in every mount, Very nice custom alterations that do not come dirrect from the supply companies,or just the softness & nice presentation of the species.

Yes there are a lot of competition taxidermists that do better in one area or anouther, Same as any other job.

you can ask any serious competition taxidermists, why we compete & I can guarantee that all of them say, so they can learn & do better on their mounts.

We compete against our selves & strive to do better than the last time. The trophies , Awards, Ribbons & money are nice but pride in doing a great job trumps it all.

It is compasion & in some cases a deep burning desire that keeps going their whole lives, & in most cases it shows.

check out some real competitions some time & you will be amaised what you will see.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy

Very good point..and thanks for sharing. I remember customers would come in and notice the "competition" mount hanging on the wall. say I want mine to look like that..or after looking through the forms mag..they would pick one. When we went over the details that could be added to make it apprear better if you will..they were amazed at the detail that went into it. Most Taxidermist take more time and put more detail into the competition mounts verses the customer mounts..it does happen.

Example would be birds.. I hated using the original skull..much easier for some and depending on the species makes sense to others. I just found it easier and for me, at least it was less work to use an artificial head, drop some eyes in it, clay and paint..looks better and no shrinkage. Have used artifical feet as well on some, again depends on flying or sitting etc. wrapped bodies and foam bodies with necks,..to each their own..but when it comes time for that guy to enter competiton phase he takes more time on feather placement, alignment of body etc and makes sure it is perfect.

Your average customer has no idea the time and effort it takes to turn out a competition mount verses a customer mount. To know that your taxidermist is going to competitions and trying to better him or herself says allot about that business and its future. So much has changes over the years as you stated..but if they dont keep up with it they will not provide a quality product.

good stuff RJ..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I think your spot on RJ. Unfortunately it appears Alaska is the worst staste as far as having quality taxidermy competions and a state taxidermist association. Are there any upcoming taxidermy competitions here in Alaska? I called the folks who run the SCI banquet and they said they weren't having one this year, that was the best part of their convention. Does Alaska even have a functional taxidermy association?

Back in the old days, I believe they used the original animals skeleton for the taxi mount...taxidermy has indeed come a long ways since then. Note the bald eagles in the second pic.

Taxidermy-William Temple Hornaday.jpgHistorical Taxidermy Shop-Charles Eldon.JPG
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I think your spot on RJ. Unfortunately it appears Alaska is the worst staste as far as having quality taxidermy competions and a state taxidermist association. Are there any upcoming taxidermy competitions here in Alaska? I called the folks who run the SCI banquet and they said they weren't having one this year, that was the best part of their convention. Does Alaska even have a functional taxidermy association?
    Actually, the SCI-related taxidermy competition was held in conjunction with last month's Alaska SCI Banquet. Although it was not an NTA "sanctioned" competition this year, a panel of 5 SCI members did the judging. I occasionally compete to get feedback from judges on ways to improve my work. RJ judged a competition a few years ago here, and was gracious enough to spend a lot of time critiquing those competitors who chose to get with him after the judging. Such honest feedback is a great way to learn.

I'll be attending the World Taxidermy Competition in IL this May (not to compete, but to attend the many seminars and scrutinize the various entries). The last time I went, I really learned a lot and was able to put lessons learned to good use on my individual pieces.

Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be a consistent interest in a viable AK Taxidermists Assn. I do, however, try to stay up on the evolving techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Actually, the SCI-related taxidermy competition was held in conjunction with last month's Alaska SCI Banquet. Although it was not an NTA "sanctioned" competition this year, a panel of 5 SCI members did the judging. I occasionally compete to get feedback from judges on ways to improve my work. RJ judged a competition a few years ago here, and was gracious enough to spend a lot of time critiquing those competitors who chose to get with him after the judging. Such honest feedback is a great way to learn.

I'll be attending the World Taxidermy Competition in IL this May (not to compete, but to attend the many seminars and scrutinize the various entries). The last time I went, I really learned a lot and was able to put lessons learned to good use on my individual pieces.

Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be a consistent interest in a viable AK Taxidermists Assn. I do, however, try to stay up on the evolving techniques.
    I contacted the wrong person at SCI. I was hoping to enter a bird or two this year, maybe next year. Why wasn't this event NTA sanctioned?

I wanted to compete for the feedback you mentioned. Having Judges and our peers critique our work can be invaluable in the development of technique...........

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I contacted the wrong person at SCI. I was hoping to enter a bird or two this year, maybe next year. Why wasn't this event NTA sanctioned?

I wanted to compete for the feedback you mentioned. Having Judges and our peers critique our work can be invaluable in the development of technique...........
    The short answer to why it wasn't sanctioned is because of issues last year and the cost to get an NTA judge up here.

Thanks Lone Wolf, hopefully it'll come together for next years competition. It seems odd that with as many taxidermists that are here in AK, that interest in an association and an annual competition is so low???

The problem with the Alaska show is that it is NOT ran like a taxidermy competition or a real association.

It is more a Decoration for the SCI chapter & there is no emphises spent on the learning aspect of competitions.

The BEST thing for the Alaska association to be a real taxidermy association would be:

1. Remove it from the SCI show altogether.
    2. get an actual Board & president ect together that will funtion like an actual taxidermist organization.
    3. have a 3 day show in a place where you can have access with trailers & Not have to pay for parking.
    4. Have SEVERAL seminars with several different catagories for a learning tool. ( THIS is what brings in taxidermists)
    5. Have Actual Judges that are QUALIFIED in the catagorie that they will bejudging.
    6. Have an actual AWARDS banquet to show the importance of acomplishing a high work level.

NOT just call the guy the next morning & say , oh ya you won somethin, Not sure what one.

I have judged shows all over the nation & NEVER been involved in one that puts more emphasis on pleasing a hunting gruop rather than having a learning & teaching senario that ALL other taxidermy organizations stand for.

Even the little tiny organizations like New Mexico & Arizona, were run more profffetional than the Alaska show.

It can be done if we get a few taxidermists in Alaska that really want to have a REAL taxidermy Association.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

I agree with everything that RJ said, Having only been to two shows up here as a participant and 2 as a on looker.. Alaska has some amazing talent, some amazing animals that are right at our fingertips so to speak..However, its a huge state, taxidermist are spread out with some being off the road system making travel very expensive, Add in hotel, gas, food, admission.. for no educational purposes other than a .10 cent ribbon awarded by someone not really qualified to even judge that category... Numbers will dwindle quickly..what you have is a recipie for disaster.. Sort of like our Govt..

I know a place more than willing to offer 3-4 days of use that has multiple rooms for seminars, show room, ample parking, loud speaker with microphone, FREE...1 block off the glenn hwy.. between anchorage and the valley,

Not sure how to get a association started, or the process, but if something dont happen realatively soon.. More and more will lose interest and not attend the SCI / Taxidermy show held in Feb.. I for one didn't attend this year and am not planning to attend next year if things dont change.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Very timely post with the Worlds two weeks away. I attended the SCI show and was disappointed at the lack of acknowledgement for the taxidermy competition. They mentioned voting for People's Choice, but never even announced the winners.

RJ is right on and we should have a state association. The benefits of having seminars is priceless and the chance to meet other taxidermists and network has distinct advantages. Getting Judges to come up here would be difficult as they usually need to be paid and their travel picked up by the association. I know of a few judges that would love to come up here for a fishing trip and air fare.

Ive been a member of three state associations and competed at the World show and state competitions many times. While I did pull some ribbons, the real value was having someone go over your work with you. If we want to start a state association, it will take work, and it may fail, but I'd be willing to help.

Hugh

Being a NTA Certified Judge that has judged shows all over the states I can tell you that YES we have to be paid to judge the shows.

Its a trade off for leaving our studios & flying to a city most of the time in the middle of the night, just to stay up for sometimes 2 days judging , Then go take a shower & come back in for Seminars or critques . A couple of times we never even got to go out to dinner while judging & had to have Pizza delivered to the show so we could eat.

Then in EVERY show during Critiqes you find out how many folks Hate your guts & think they know more than you do, because they didnt get a blue ribbon.

Actually we as judges do not get paid enough & thats why so many of us are not judging any more.

When I judged the Alaska show Both years , I only recieved $ 800. for my travel to get there from my Oregon studio. It actually cost me twice that much.

Usually we get all travel paid, plus $200. per day that we work the show, Meals & hotel also.

So we dont make that big money that people think.

With a State like Alaska there is NO REASON why there cant have a real Association with actual members & a Board & president that want the association to excell rather than just pleasing a couple of people & putting on a display like a department store rather than a true LEARNING experience that ALL of us can benefit from.

PLUS an association that can have a REAL voice with the board of game & with other political issues that we all will face.

We could really get it together VERY EASILY if we can get 6 taxidermist that are willing & WANTING to make a difference.

If any of you arte interested Email me & we can go over what will need to be done .

I for one would really like to see this happen.

RJ Simington protaxidermy@clearwire.net
    907 322 0936

While I can't speak for Jesse, between you and me and him, were halfway there.

I'm up for it, I really think something needs to get started. Those who have been on the board if associations I'd say take the lead as they have the experience to get something like this started. I can be a gopher
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Maybe we can get some of us together in Palmer or somewhere in June or July for a day.

I will see if I can get a list of Licensed taxidermists from the state & see how much intrest there would be.

RJ Simington
    907 322 0936

I'd be interested in helping as well. I'll be headed to the WTC in May, so I'll try to talk to a few guys there from other state associations as well who've been in on the "ground floor" of setting something up. RJ has a great deal of experience with the "not-so-fun" part of associations and judging, so if we decide to get something going, he can hopefully guide us through the "what not to do" during the process. :-)

Dave McClannahan
    Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry, Eagle River
    907-440-4165

I will get with the state & see what we have to do to get a 501 C 3 or what other Nonprofit organization permits will be needed.

This would be a GREAT thing for All Alaska taxidermists if we can get it worked out.

I offered my help to the ATA before by volenteering as a board member, & help with getting Bylaws & other neccessary things to Actually have an association, but the person in charge I guese doesnt care about things like that.

Give me a little time to round some things up & I will call you guys.

Thanks
    RJ Simington
    907 322 0936