Thread: rabbits

Default rabbits

I am thinking of rasing rabbits in the summer time for meat. Does anyone have any helpful hints on this. Someone I know said that it was a bad idea because they will get sick.

Default rabbits

We have some breeding stock we would be interested selling. Lots of free advice included from our steep learning curve. Pm me if your interested.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by missyjean View Post
    I am thinking of rasing rabbits in the summer time for meat. Does anyone have any helpful hints on this. Someone I know said that it was a bad idea because they will get sick.
    How did this idea go?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    How did this idea go?
    We tried it years ago, but the return on our investment didn't pencil out. In the end, with the money we spent on feed alone, we could have easily bought way more meat than we produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    We tried it years ago, but the return on our investment didn't pencil out. In the end, with the money we spent on feed alone, we could have easily bought way more meat than we produced.
    I heard this story with chickens too. It's one concern because getting feed may prove to be a challenge.

I have both rabbits and chickens; I would have to say that I could buy more food at the store for what it costs me to raise my own. I raise mine for my enjoyment, an expeireince for my children and I like knowing quality of the food on the table. There is no comparison between fresh eggs and store bought. And domestic rabbit meat is one of the best meats you can eat, wild rabbit is very good for you but I was told that it doesn't have enough fat. Its also very tough, although so is domestic if you wait to long to butcher. All in all rabbits are not very expensive to raise.

Quote Originally Posted by MACMMJ View Post
    I have both rabbits and chickens; I would have to say that I could buy more food at the store for what it costs me to raise my own. I raise mine for my enjoyment, an expeireince for my children and I like knowing quality of the food on the table. There is no comparison between fresh eggs and store bought. And domestic rabbit meat is one of the best meats you can eat, wild rabbit is very good for you but I was told that it doesn't have enough fat. Its also very tough, although so is domestic if you wait to long to butcher. All in all rabbits are not very expensive to raise.
    May I ask what a bag of food costs? And how long a typical bag lasts. I know number of animals dictates life span of food bag.

A very good point was raised about having rabbits for more than one purpose. Enjoyment for yourself and the grandkids goes a long way. One thing to remember is that pellet feed is actually pretty new when speaking of feed. Using feed only will run into $$$ in short order. I used alfalfa cubes and bales to supplement as well as raspberry clippings and garden trimmings. A decent buck and 5 does will keep you in Hasenpfefferall year long. I just had to mark the freezer packs, “Chicken – no wings” for my wife to eat it.
    Like chickens, the bread really does matter. A stout meat bread will do well over a style breed. I did the angora breed when my wife was into spinning. You have to pluck them at least weekly all summer long. Very nice yarn but it was like collecting saffron; takes forever to make even a little bit.
    For older domestic rabbits and wild ones I let them soak in milk for a day or two to soften up.
    PS: the droppings arean added bonus for the garden.
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Yukon, I think a bag cost on average $20, not sure how long it lasts. I have a metal trash can that holds about two bags and I probably dump a bag in maybe once a month or maybe a little more. I have keep on average 4-6 rabbits, and butch young at 8-10 weeks. They start to go through more food just before butch time.
    It hasn't ever seem to be that expensive (I spend way more on my dogs), and return on investment is not a priority, the enjoyment and experience for the kids is main and quality meat on table next.