Thread: Suggestions on 3-4 day trip

Default Suggestions on 3-4 day trip

Planning the annual trip this year and joining up with my friend in Eagle River. Was really hoping to do some rafting on this one. Would love to do a longer trip like lake creek, but thinking might be easier to do a 3-4 day excursion. Looking for good trout and salmon fishing - more interested in trout. Fly/pack-in suggestions are fine as had already planned on buying at least one flight. Preferable that its not crazy far from Anchorage.

Any suggestions on a 3-4 day trip with awesome fishing?

Thanks in Advance!

What timeframe?
    Budget?
    Rafting experience?
    Are 3-4 days all you can do?

If you can fill in those blanks it may help narrow down the possibilities....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Timeframe would likely be anytime July, or early August. Budget isn't too big of an issue - splitting cost amongst three people. I would think anything over 2.5k would be a little pricey. I've owned a raft my whole life and guided tons of rivers in the lower 48. I don't have experience on the huge and powerful rivers you have up there, but most of them I should be fine on. I could do more than 3-4 days if needed. I'm just thinking that it will probably be a 7 day trip up there in total and my other buddy who is coming up with me might want to see a few other things while we're there.

Quote Originally Posted by benjicunney View Post
    Timeframe would likely be anytime July, or early August. Budget isn't too big of an issue - splitting cost amongst three people. I would think anything over 2.5k would be a little pricey. I've owned a raft my whole life and guided tons of rivers in the lower 48. I don't have experience on the huge and powerful rivers you have up there, but most of them I should be fine on. I could do more than 3-4 days if needed. I'm just thinking that it will probably be a 7 day trip up there in total and my other buddy who is coming up with me might want to see a few other things while we're there.

Given all that, you're likely looking at a Beaver Load.
    If I where in your shoes I'd make it 5 days and, if in early July look at the Alagnak for off the hook sockeye and decent trout/grayling. If it is later towards early August, I'd wander over towards either the Goodnews or Togiak for Char/Dollies and Coho.

The air taxis in both Dillingham and King Salmon have rental rafts/gear.
    Optimally a fly out of 7-10 days is the most enjoyable, but it is what it is, and a shorter trip won't suck, by any means.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Hippie listed some of the best ones. If you're into really great scenery, you might also have a look at the Alatna. You can charter with Brooks Range Aviation out of Bettles. Beautiful trip with some pretty good grayling fishing.

For a complete list of Alaska river systems, together with books and DVDs that provide details about them you might have a look at our River Information Page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find a chart there, with 450 river systems listed, together with their reference materials. I believe it is the most detailed listing of it's kind, online.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If you're going out of Dillingham, you might contact Dan over at Dan's Rentals. He's got good boats, tents and all the camping gear. Chances are, if you're using a charter that supplies the gear, it came from Dan. He's a great guy to work with. I have known him for many years as a stand-up operator.

You might also check out the Wulik, up north of Kotzebue. Amazing char fishing in August-September. Fly out with Jim Kinkaid of Northwestern Aviation.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another option to consider is to have Coyote Air drop you off along the Ivishak River in the Brooks Range. I've only fished it in late August, I suspect the char will be running up the river in early August though they may not be as colorful. By far some of the best char and grayling fishing I've experienced. Relatively easy float, plenty of info on this site regarding the river and logistics. Water levels shouldn't be as much a concern earlier in August, gorgeous scenery.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just not sure I commit that amount of time this trip. All those places are now on my shortlist, however.

My friend spoke with a few others at the fly fishing org he is part of. Some suggestions to reduce cost were the Talachulitna or the Gulkana. Any of you floated those sections?

Also another trip option we are considering is the Lake Clark Wilderness Area. Any knowledge to the salmon fishing in that area. Thanks for all the help - great people on this forum.

Walt (I believe his username is Gulkana Rafting (?)) is a long time member here who not only knows the Gulkana, he rents rafts and gear near there. Also members Blue Moose or Geaux (sp) are pro's who know that specific area. Gulkana is a great trip, last time I was down it we ran it in early Oct in canoes.
    It does have a portageable rapid/picket fence, and some areas are a tad technical. It does fish well, but being road accessible, it's getting loved to death, or too crowded for my taste.

The Tal is a good float as well, not AS crowded as the Gulkana (no roads, yay!), its even more technical than Gulkana (google is your friend), and given our lackluster coho returns as of late, I wouldn't label it a Go To float, tho the Trout can be spectacular.

Given your timeframe, why not rent the gear and do a highway river expedition?
    The Kenai and Kasilof down south are fantastic, albeit well travelled, rivers. And up here in the Valley you have a veritable smorgasbord of rivers and creeks to float.

Thanks Hippie always app the thoughts. Walt is also an excellent source.

Early August this year had a lot of people on the river and unless you wish to fish dead Sockeye the upper river i.e. Paxson to Sourdough had very little option. The 2nd run of Reds were good on the lower river. What we normally do is float the upper for Trout / Grayling and Lakers and then stop off and fish low for Reds if we have the time.

Trip is normal 3 night 4 day however IMO it is best fished 4 nights 5 days or 5 nights 6 days to really enjoy i.e. fish to you drop type fishing. I posted the Late July and Ealry August trips on the fly fishing section of this forum. Not a large write up but some pictures etc... If you wait till Ealry August please note the grass / slime is thick up top at the outlet and normal water levels means that the rock gardens are out in force so prep for some bouncing. I have been running the upper since 95 and have never been hung in the falls till this year NO WATER for a semi loaded 16ft Cat was fun getting out of the middle of the falls trust me took 30 minutes. MY BAD!

Anywho if you wish to PM I will fill in the gaps. Expect to see 5-8 user groups any time between Mid July through Mid August over a weekend less if you float mid week and are coming off over the weekend.

Tight Lines!

Happy Fishing.

RMM
    www.bluemooseraft.com