Thread: So.. Back to normal gun things..

Default So.. Back to normal gun things..

Who's got some winter builds to share?

Now that everyone and their cousin has raided the stores buying what they "think" will be forever banished.. I've switched back to my non-assault rifle build. Sako TRG-S action, XLR Tac Chassis, 30" Hart SS Palma 1:9. Should be done by the middle of Feb and then it will be Berger 180s and Matrix 195s. Oh and I believe I'm required to put a nightforce on it. Why spend 3500$ when you can spend an extra 2000$!!

Sure is entertaining to watch people sprint passed a half minute long range bolt action for a 3 minute or worse, plastic copy of a semi auto though.

Default So.. Back to normal gun things..

*190gr. Matrix. Not 195*

With that set up you absolutely are required to put a Nightforce on it!

Well I did this last week.

DSC_0002.jpg
    700 BDL short action, was 243 and I made up a barrel in 338 Federal, 24Ē 1 in 10 twist. I built it to sell here but itĎs headed back east this week. Took an AR in trade on it donít know why he wanted to trade an AR in now or what Iím gonna do with it, itĎs 6.8 SPC with 3 mags.

Spent this week tooling up to build some five shot 500JRH/S&W Special Super Redhawks.
    Working on a Winchester 88 358 Winchester build, that one ainít leaving here.
    Have another 256WM Rossi 92 to build in the next week or two.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just sitting around waiting for my first custom revolver. Gallagher built 500 Linebaugh on 50th Ann. NM flat top with Gallagher 5.5 octagon (integrated site base and ERH lug) It will be Bisleyized as well. I've got some 450gr boolits cast up, got my brass, dies, etc. I'll end up with a 525gr mold as well. Just sent Gallagher a sheep horn last week for grip material.

Here's a "before" pic...

Hey ADfields. Tell us more about the SRH half bores.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Hey ADfields. Tell us more about the SRH half bores.
    Well like I said Iím tooling up, sinking a lot of time and money in is all at this point. So many folks seem to want a 500 Smith for a walk around gun then decide itís too heavy for a bear defense gun, which it is. So what Iím going for first is a straight up caliber conversion on 454 SRH to five shot 50 cal with around 5Ē barrel. Not real fancy or overly expensive, the 50 cal Alaska everyday back country bear gun nobody makes. Ruger gets close but SRH is ether a huge hogleg or a snubby Alaskan a bit too short for caliber. Smith is ether way too big or a tad too small, they need another frame size in there. I want to be under two grand and around $15-1600 would be better if I can.

Itís an amazing amount of picky little issues Iím working through to get a cylinder and extractor I can knock out cheap enough. I have been tinkering with 2 prototypes since April working one thing at a time, now Iím tooling up as I build and weĎll see how it goes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wow, sounds like you're committed. Are you doing these as a special order for someone or to make a couple then put up for sale? I look forward to seeing how it pans out. Just out of curiosity, I'm sure you have good reasons, but why 500jrh instead of 500L? Does the 500jrh keep you from having to open the frame window? I very seriously contemplated having Huntington do a 500jrh on the FA83 but I just couldn't get past having a 4 shooter on my belt walkin in the woods.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yea I should be committed alright! There is an amazing amount of nitpicky geometry in in that little round hunk of steel with holes in it.

Iíll likely keep one to use as a marketing tool to help get more work and sell the other. 500jrh because there are so many 500S&W out there that things are easer to find and cheaper. 500 Smith brass, projectiles, dies are everywhere and some of the newer 500S&W Mag dies say 500jrh and 500S&W Special now. I get .500Ē barrel blanks long enough to build 3 maybe 4 guns for $125. Iím going for an everyday bear defense gun so I want to keep all my prices down. Not trying to build Bowen customs but something more semi-custom, stock SRH with a custom pipe and cylinder.

I could do 500L without opening the window, there is quite a bit of room in the SRH window. My cylinders will be filling out the opening, stock Ruger cylinder is about 1.7945Ē or 1.795 if coated . . . I can close an 1.833Ē so I think I can get away with 1.825Ē and know 1.820Ē will have enough room to swell. With the steel Iím using any of these will take the pressure better than anybodyís hand will take the recoil. I think they should through heavy cast at the magic speeds numbers real nice with very manageable recoil and I plan to find out if IĎm right.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I try to comment every time I'm in a shop and don't see 500L supplies around. With starline (some Hornady) brass and hornady dies, think its a combo a serious shop that carries reloading should have on hand. My local shop keeps some around since I'm not the only 500L cat on the porch.

500L is the perfect carry set up for our neck of the woods. My 4 5/8's vaquero is hands down my favorite carry gun. Cannot wait for John to finish its 475L sister. Think 475 is still my favorite between the two--edge on penetration and I'm more accurate with it out at longer ranges.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.