Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly management related, but...

Default Not exactly management related, but...

... does anyone know who of our delegation got Alaska into the Hurricane Sandy Relief legislation? http://juneauempire.com/state/2012-1...a#.UOouCYnjlnE

Default guess....

Both our liberal senators supported and voted for this pork barrel give-away!

What a disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... does anyone know who of our delegation got Alaska into the Hurricane Sandy Relief legislation? http://juneauempire.com/state/2012-1...a#.UOouCYnjlnE
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thumbs down

Attachment 67093

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Both our liberal senators supported and voted for this pork barrel give-away!

What a disgrace!
    I cannot find documentation.

Lisa is on the Senate Appropriations Committee. The $150M targeted for the Great Land in response to the state-wide decline in Chinook salmon stocks would not be possible if she didn't push for it. I'm sure Don will support it in the House.

This is how things get done in DC. Everything is greased by $$'s. Political parties are irrelevant. Both the D's and the R's have to bring home the bacon for their State or their District. Senator Ted (RIP) was a master at it. Lisa is only doing her job.

It's been like this in Congress since about 1787......

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Lisa is on the Senate Appropriations Committee. The $150M targeted for the Great Land in response to the state-wide decline in Chinook salmon stocks would not be possible if she didn't push for it. I'm sure Don will support it in the House.

This is how things get done in DC. Everything is greased by $$'s. Political parties are irrelevant. Both the D's and the R's have to bring home the bacon for their State or their District. Senator Ted (RIP) was a master at it. Lisa is only doing her job.

Thank you. I was pork barreling then. I hate it when they attach rider bills.

Default our boy Mark and girl Lisa..

"Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, will try to get the money for Alaska fisheries added back to the Sandy bill or to another vehicle.Arguing for fishery disaster money to be included in the Sandy bill last month, Begich said, “The disasters that are declared for fisheries in this bill have been declared disasters. It is not some pie in the sky, some pork, or we sit around and say: Let's get some money for every state. These are actually declared disasters by the states and our federal government that need to be funded.” source: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...ss-awaits?lite

And as you stated; Lisa had to support it as a member of the Appropriations Committee.

"Mikulski defended the fisheries money from Coburn’s insinuation that it was akin to an earmark, explaining the funding was authorized and badly needed.

“They meet the criteria for compelling economic and human need as required by law,” Mikulski said on the floor. “This is not an earmark, it is a certified disaster assistance.” Source: http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local...te-floor-fight

Perhaps our beloved founding fathers limited the functions of the federal government because of these very pork barrel give-aways. A limit on all these BS spending and our politicians scratching each others backs would bring the focus back to what the government should actually be involved with.

Reading through this forum over the years it would appear that many of the commercial fishermen and their supporters tend to lean politically to the left and toward a bigger and more powerful government. Could that be because commercial fishing is not self-sufficient but instead depends on government handouts and "disaster relief" etc. to survive"? But that question is certainly political and maybe we shouldn't go there - just leave it as thought.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default The slime line . . .

. . I hate it when . .

Stuff happens, sayak. I hate it when someone slimes Alaskans and Alaska's commercial fishermen with unsubstantiated lies and slander such as:

1) Alaska's commercial fishermen are on the political left,

2) Alaskan supporters of commercial fishermen are on the political left,

3) Alaska's commercial fishermen advocate bigger, more powerful government,

4) Alaskan supporters of commercial fishermen advocate bigger, more powerful government,

5) Alaska's commercial fishermen are not self-sufficient,

6) Alaska's commercial fishermen depend on government handouts, and

7) Alaska's commercial fishermen depend on disaster relief.

Quite the forum . . we can't say **** or **** but we can ****' sure bear false witness against our neighbor.

One needn't be a fish processor to run a slime line . . got a pretty stinky one going on right here . . talk about pollution!

It was ill advised for me to start this thread. I didn't know where else to put my question, however, since 2-A and F M are the only sub-forums where politics are remotely allowed.
    My intention was not to demean fishermen. nor the fishing industry of Alaska, rather to express my concern regarding politicians who attached monies to Hurricane Sandy legislation which our "bankrupt" nation can't afford. Such action may have stymied legitimate emergency aid for victims of the tragedy. I have no more angst toward the fishermen/industry than I have toward the administrators of the Smithsonian Institution, which apparently is getting a roof repair job using the same monies. People will always ask for things; Congress, however, needs to exercise prudence in spending our children's and grandchildren's money on only the most pressing emergency needs as intended.

Exclamation

It was ill advised for me to start this thread. I didn't know where else to put my question, however, since 2-A and F M are the only sub-forums where politics are remotely allowed.
    My intention was not to demean fishermen. nor the fishing industry of Alaska, rather to express my concern regarding politicians who attached monies to Hurricane Sandy legislation which our "bankrupt" nation can't afford. Such action may have stymied legitimate emergency aid for victims of the tragedy. I have no more angst toward the fishermen/industry than I have toward the administrators of the Smithsonian Institution, which apparently is getting a roof repair job using the same monies. People will always ask for things; Congress, however, needs to exercise prudence in spending our children's and grandchildren's money on only the most pressing emergency needs as intended.

sayak, I understood perfectly the purpose of your post—to express your concern about politicians acting improperly. In no way was your OP out of line, nor did it offend me.

What did and does offend me it the relentless, ongoing, unsubstantiated slander of Alaska's commercial fishermen and the cavalier attitude that continues to enable such abuse.

Default pork barrel spending abounds...

Certainly the commercial fishermen aren't the only ones looking for a pork barrel handout! Many in the agribusiness also depend on handouts and subsidies - the dairy lobby is one of the worse, it was part of the latest budget wranglings.

Our government is certainly out of control when it comes to spending our children's and grand-children's future. Somewhere along the way we'll have to make hard choices and decide where our money really needs to go. Businesses and organizations that aren't economically sustainable will need to find a better way to do business or another business to get into.

When federal disaster declarations are made (for hurricanes or fishery failures), Congress usually makes a supplemental appropriation to address them within a reasonable time frame, since disasters are typically unforseen and not covered by the "regular" budgets...however, some of this is confounded by the fact that Congress (the Senate, specifically) has not passed a budget in 3+ years.

Ever since the fishery disaster declarations were made by the Secretary of Commerce this last summer, the AK delegation has been looking/waiting for an opportunity to appropriate the funding but very little has passed Congress in the past 6 months.

Likewise, the Sandy disaster from this fall had also been waiting for an opportunity for funding (they would have attached that funding to something else if there had been the opportunity to do it that way, too).
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Default everything is a disaster...

It would appear that the government is trying to declare everything they can a "disaster" to make people more dependent on a larger and more powerful government.

Bad things that happen on a regular basis and can be avoided shouldn't be classified as a "disaster" IMO. If you build in the flood plain of a river or by the ocean and get flooded, getting wet is predicable and avoidable, and everyone should not be taxed to pay for the poor planning and risk taking by others. A poor run of fish is hardly a disaster; it happens with some regularity and and reserves should be put away in the good years to cover the unavoidable bad years. Likewise for farming - there are good and bad years weather wise and a year or two of bad crops is hardly a surprise.

Likewise for normal maintenance requirements like the roof on the museum - that expense is expected and should be a part of the normal operating budget. The Anchorage school district is bad for poor planning also and then wants to float bonds for predictable school repairs.

Thumbs down

Contrary to the OP, this thread has been hijacked into another opportunity to take a crap on Alaska's commercial fishermen.

Attachment 67147

Default in the pockets....

more info on why Lisa and Mark voted for the pork barrel bail-out:

http://fishery.about.com/od/National...ans-Caucus.htm

Bad things happen in every State and every Congressional district, at some point. Who is going to decide who needs a helping hand, and who is just clamoring for a hand-out? Congress does. Congress makes those decisions. Specifically the representatives and Senators who sit on the various Committees make those decisions (the Appropriations Committee is a good place to be). Those folks are going to support their consitituencies 100% of the time. That's why they were sent to DC. That's what Senator Ted did for Alaska for 50+ years, it's what Senator Patty is doing for Washington State, and it's what Lisa is trying to do for Alaska. We should not expect anything different from our elected officials.

A better discussion/debate would be to see exactly what that $150M is going to be used for. That's a big chunk of change going to the Great Land, so I wonder who is getting how much, and for what purpose. If anyone has any ideas, please let us know.

Senate Oceans Caucus
    Introduction to the Senate Oceans Caucus

In Sept. 2011, a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators announced the formation of an Oceans Caucus. The caucus will work to increase awareness and find common ground in responding to issues facing the oceans and coasts. One reason is because the oceans support millions of jobs. How many jobs? They contribute more to the country's GDP than the entire farm sector, grossing more than $230 billion in 2004.

U.S. Senators Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) are the caucus co-chairspersons. Senators Mark Begich (D-AK) and Olympia Snowe (R-ME), as chair and ranking member of the commerce Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard, will serve as honorary co-chairpeople of the Senate Oceans Caucus to promote effective coordination with the subcommittee.

—much more at the link above

Default where...?

I've also wondered where the money is going. So far I haven't seen anything, but we can bet Mark and Lisa will get a chunk back as campaign contributions.

Perhaps we need an ole' Ted back so he can get the oil industry a big handout since oil prices have gone down

Bad things happen in every State and every Congressional district, at some point. Who is going to decide who needs a helping hand, and who is just clamoring for a hand-out? Congress does. Congress makes those decisions. Specifically the representatives and Senators who sit on the various Committees make those decisions (the Appropriations Committee is a good place to be). Those folks are going to support their consitituencies 100% of the time. That's why they were sent to DC. That's what Senator Ted did for Alaska for 50+ years, it's what Senator Patty is doing for Washington State, and it's what Lisa is trying to do for Alaska. We should not expect anything different from our elected officials.

A better discussion/debate would be to see exactly what that $150M is going to be used for. That's a big chunk of change going to the Great Land, so I wonder who is getting how much, and for what purpose. If anyone has any ideas, please let us know.

Thumbs down

This isn't about anything other than ignorant, political propaganda, labels, and another chance to smear Alaska's commercial fishermen.

There is no "debate" here, only more unsubstantiated garbage. There is no "discussion" here, only more undocumented accusations and more stupid political rant.

Smear, smear, smear with undocumented, unsubstantiated vile accusations and labels . . smear Lisa . . smear Mark . . smear the government . . smear commercial fishermen . . smear anyone and anything that has anything to do with Alaska's commercial fishermen and fisheries . . . sickening that it's allowed to go on and on and on . .

Default maybe...

Since the big moose kill-off disaster in the valley last winter perhaps we can get Mark & Lisa to declare some sort of disaster funds for us sportsmen that had to go to the store and buy beef. Buying beef has to be the equivalent of buying farmed salmon -right? And remember when I mentioned supplying farmed farmed salmon to those that didn't get their kings last year I caught heck from you know who.

Oh, wait - I forget, the sportsmen don't have a big lobby and PACs to fund their campaigns. I guess we just don't count

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast