Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak hunt

Default Adak hunt

Well I made my first ever trip to Adak last week and had a great time. The hunt was harder than I planned, but with hard work comes success. At times it felt more like a goat or sheep hunt as I was continually going up and down hills/mountains. The hunting pressure was rather high, but most didn't wander to far from the road. I wondered miles off the roads and found success in doing so. I only saw about 200 caribou and of that only a few small bulls. Since this was a meat hunt I harvested cows only. I also had a new rifle that I had not used prior to the hunt other than at the range to sight it in. The rifle was a 7mm wsm with 160 grain bullets. I was very impressed by this round. I made two kill shots, one at 308 yards and the other at 315 yards. Adak was a rather strange place, but unique and pretty in its own way. I was with good friends and we were all able to get at least one caribou. I'm looking forward to next years trip all ready.

Very Cool,...Congrats on Success, Earned the hard way,...

Sure hope you're working on posting some pics tho,... would love to see some of that
    it's stunning country down there
    and, wandering miles off the roads,...in that terrain,...yeah, you ain't kidding that's "The Real Deal, Tough Hunting"

Well Done,.....and how was the weather ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Glad you had a good time. I am very glad to hear this. We are going out, my first time, next weekend. How was the weather? I hear it has been kind of weird out there so far this year. Any tips or info you mind sharing? We are doing the dodge and lodge thing, so it should be a blast. Congrats again...any pics?

Dave

Default Trip Details

IMG_0586 (WinCE).jpgIMG_0500 (WinCE) (2).jpg

Well we saw every weather pattern possible. I can say that there is snow on the ground and makes walking very fun. It was never very cold, but was windy (very windy) at time.

I would recomend that you take the time to leave the truck and walk around to glass. There are many hidden bowls, valleys, etc that hide the caribou that cant be seen from the truck. Heart lake and lake Betty area are the two spots that i hiked around most. You will find tha the road system is small and most hunters focus on these two areas.

Default Sweet

Must me nice to travel around and hunt everywhere ;-) Sweet trip, thanks for sharing it. Also, the duck is safe in my freezer, you're a hero.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Glad to hear you guys had a good trip. Love that pic of the eagles on the gut pile!

Gooch..... yeah I travel around everywhere to hunt....thats not the pot calling the kettle black at all!!!!!! LOL Cant wait for my next POW hunt with my 7mm. I put in for the Etolin Island Elk tag too.

Bronco.. you should see the video I have from my gopro. I placed the gopro inside the caribou carcass and backed away. I then left it for about ten minutes. It shot some awesome video of the Eagles going to town on the carcass. VERY COOL.

Congrats again and thanks for posting some pics too. I agree, the eagle pic is cool, but nice to see some meat going back home with you too. A+ on the panoramics too. Looking forward to the wind and walking...always good to get out.

dave

Did you go up over Husky Pass, We did, then went two drainages to the south, lots of animals there, but a lot of hiking to get to them. It is off the road system for sure. A rented 4 wheeler would have made it much easier for us, we hiked all the way from the quansut hut at the end of the road to Husky Pass, down by Catherine lake You have to be sure to haul your meat out right away, no 4 legged predators, but the eagles will eat anything you leave out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    you should see the video I have from my gopro. I placed the gopro inside the caribou carcass and backed away. I then left it for about ten minutes. It shot some awesome video of the Eagles going to town on the carcass. VERY COOL.
    Now there's a creative New Idea for GoPro footage,....I wonder if they'd post it on Fcbk as Video of the Day,...??
    (y'kno, competing with all the, "We've already seen this enough," surfers in the tube stuff)

I love that idea,...Close Up, Beaks, in Dining Mode
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Awesome. How did you get the meat back? Boned out, placed in coolers and put on the airline I assume? Did you end up having to pay extra for the freight coming home? Where did you stay while you were out there? I heard there were a lot of empty houses in good condition and always figured the locals could make money by renting them out to hunters. Adak was high on my list up until the airfare more than doubled in the last year.

We rented a house through Aleutian Outfitters which also include a truck. I'm not sure of all the names of the valleys and areas we hiked but I believe we hiked over the backside of heart lake a lot. As far as the meat, we boned it all out and packed it in small Rubbermaid totes. Kept them to 50lbs as to not be charged for overweight. We did have to pay some fees for to many bags, but they cut us a break and we made it out pretty well.

I may try posting the go pro video on you tube. If I do I'll be sure to add a link on to here.

This hunt may not be for everyone and I was surprised at the hunting pressure. In fact my only negative part of the hunt was some of the unethical hunters I encountered. I was pretty disappointed by several other hunters, makes me pretty mad actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    We rented a house through Aleutian Outfitters which also include a truck. I'm not sure of all the names of the valleys and areas we hiked but I believe we hiked over the backside of heart lake a lot. As far as the meat, we boned it all out and packed it in small Rubbermaid totes. Kept them to 50lbs as to not be charged for overweight. We did have to pay some fees for to many bags, but they cut us a break and we made it out pretty well.

I may try posting the go pro video on you tube. If I do I'll be sure to add a link on to here.

This hunt may not be for everyone and I was surprised at the hunting pressure. In fact my only negative part of the hunt was some of the unethical hunters I encountered. I was pretty disappointed by several other hunters, makes me pretty mad actually.
    Man, I can't believe you can fly to a remote island halfway to Japan and still see hunting pressure. Is there nothing sacred. Too many people...

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Man, I can't believe you can fly to a remote island halfway to Japan and still see hunting pressure. Is there nothing sacred. Too many people...
    There is pressure only because there is jet service to that island thanks to subsidised flights financed with tax payer dollars. Then there is the available infrastructure of the former military housing to be rented.

If people had to pay the actual flight cost, or could not use their travel milage plans, then there would be much less pressure. Anyone that would pay $3000 for a comerical flight from Anchorage to shoot a few meat caribou would be a candidate for mental counciling.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    There is pressure only because there is jet service to that island thanks to subsidised flights financed with tax payer dollars. Then there is the available infrastructure of the former military housing to be rented.

If people had to pay the actual flight cost, or could not use their travel milage plans, then there would be much less pressure. Anyone that would pay $3000 for a comerical flight from Anchorage to shoot a few meat caribou would be a candidate for mental counciling.
    If I'm not mistaken AK Air did away with the $599 return commercial jet service a year or two ago so now you have to take a Turboprop with Pen Air or something for more than double that... not worth it to me. I would have done it for the $599, though.

Default Adak hunt

It's a route that is part of the "essential air service" through DOT. AK Air decided in 2012 to not reapply for the contract. Pen Air applied and was laughed at for their requested funds and service they offered. AK Air was still providing service under their contract until they are replaced by the new vendor. With the current state of the fed budget the new vendor selection may take awhile, and the cost will go up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast