Thread: Daydreaming in the Winter..

Default Daydreaming in the Winter..

I am in the process of moving up to AK in 10 days from Connecticut. I am driving a U-haul through it all! One of the reasons is because I have so much outdoors gear.. it's cheaper than shipping. I have a 13 foot necky kayak santa cruz that I am bringing with me. I grew up on the ocean and dated a semi-pro kayaker.. so I feel pretty confident in my abilities. However I have never really done anything extreme or too rough. I'm a bring a camera and take pics of wildlife kinda kayaker.

With that said.. I am moving to Houston. Where are some good, quiet and safe places for me to get some good pictures of wildlife and still enjoy a kayaking trip? I'm open to over nights too!

Thanks!

Wonder Lake..........In Denali National Park

Why Houston? If you want to kayak in the ocean you will have to travel about 3 hrs to Whitter or 4.5 hrs to Seward or 6 hrs to Homer. Right in downtown Houston you can launch into the Little Sue River and float about 3 days down to Berma landing. Its a nice easy river that snakes back and forth and back and forth for almost 50 miles I think. Some one else may know miles for sure. There are Moose and bears for sure for your wildlife. Just finding them. The biggest danger on the river is fast river boats on blind corners during King season and silvers. If we have another year like the past few they will get shut down early for lack of fish and that would be a good time to float it. If you want to get into the faster river stuff their are some guys on here that could really show you that. You have some good white water in upper willow and many other upper rivers. Willow might be your best kayak fun in the Houston area.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Wonder Lake..........In Denali National Park
    OK. I'm looking for something a little more closer to home to start, but thanks for that. I'll add it to my someday list.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Why Houston? If you want to kayak in the ocean you will have to travel about 3 hrs to Whitter or 4.5 hrs to Seward or 6 hrs to Homer. Right in downtown Houston you can launch into the Little Sue River and float about 3 days down to Berma landing. Its a nice easy river that snakes back and forth and back and forth for almost 50 miles I think. Some one else may know miles for sure. There are Moose and bears for sure for your wildlife. Just finding them. The biggest danger on the river is fast river boats on blind corners during King season and silvers. If we have another year like the past few they will get shut down early for lack of fish and that would be a good time to float it. If you want to get into the faster river stuff their are some guys on here that could really show you that. You have some good white water in upper willow and many other upper rivers. Willow might be your best kayak fun in the Houston area.
    I really wanted to go to Palmer, but I couldn't find a place to save my life there. Everything was either over priced, really crappy or didn't allow dogs. I've been looking for a place to love since October checking all around the Mat-Su and Anchorage. It's the dog thing that really put a hindrance on things. However.. she's my baby.. so no compromise on that. Finally found a cute 2 bedroom log cabin with a little greenhouse in Houston. Not where I wanted to settle, but it met and exceeded my expectations. Super excited about it! (three words in a row with "x"! go me!)

I'm not really looking for ocean at this point in time. Thanks though. Little Sue River sounds perfect! Thanks!

Not trying to be a downer; However you may have the wrong idea of how much wild game is still left in Alaska.

Not trying to be a downer; However you may have the wrong idea of how much wild game is still left in Alaska.
    Hey Debbie Downer..

Compared to Connecticut.. there is a crap load.. besides I just wanna go exploring.. it's not all about the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post

.. besides I just wanna go exploring.. it's not all about the animals.

Exploring.......Is what I have been doing in Alaska for Way more than 40 years. So I understand. Now that I am in my Geriatric years, I generally keep solo expeditions to three days. Yes, if you enjoy hiking and "JUST BEING" in undisturbed wilderness, and when you do encounter an animal just sit and study it, you will be milking the best of Alaska.

The wilderness can change a man

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts. Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he is free to return at any time to his true nature.............

"Written after six months alone in the wilderness".

Exploring.......Is what I have been doing in Alaska for Way more than 40 years. So I understand. Now that I am in my Geriatric years, I generally keep solo expeditions to three days. Yes, if you enjoy hiking and "JUST BEING" in undisturbed wilderness, and when you do encounter an animal just sit and study it, you will be milking the best of Alaska.

The wilderness can change a man

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts. Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he is free to return at any time to his true nature.............

"Written after six months alone in the wilderness".
    Who wrote that? That's pretty acurate as to how I felt being alone for my month long hike up in the Adirondacks. I'm not looking for complete solitude, but I am looking for more of an opportunity to spend time with myself and grow in things I have a passion for without the distrations of people for a little bit of time. I am writing a book, learning guitar and have a passion to learn outdoors things like hunting.

I am looking for the peace that recharges the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Who wrote that? That's pretty acurate as to how I felt being alone for my month long hike up in the Adirondacks. I'm not looking for complete solitude, but I am looking for more of an opportunity to spend time with myself and grow in things I have a passion for without the distrations of people for a little bit of time. I am writing a book, learning guitar and have a passion to learn outdoors things like hunting.

I am looking for the peace that recharges the soul.

I wrote it.

Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"
    __________________________________________________ __________
    by Sourdough
    12-25-2009 at 07:01 AM (4832 Views)

After 40 years in Alaska, much of it remote, I give the following advise to those who dream of: Living alone in the wilderness off the land.

Study: Read everything you can find written FIRST Person, by those who did it in 1886 to 1936. Spend one year reading, studying, and get a good magnifying glass with which to study photographs of the period. Make notes, what did they wear, what tools are present, how did they feed the dog team, how many ways too build a cache, etc..

The good news is that much was recorded by survey parties, and Federal Judges, Missionaries, and a few educated prospectors.
    It is doable, but the physical pain and suffering, the mental anguish will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend. However the reward, even if you fail, will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend.

The key is to study those who really did it......................................

I wrote it.

Advise to the: "I am moving to Alaska wilderness, and live off the land"
    __________________________________________________ __________
    by Sourdough
    12-25-2009 at 07:01 AM (4832 Views)

After 40 years in Alaska, much of it remote, I give the following advise to those who dream of: Living alone in the wilderness off the land.

Study: Read everything you can find written FIRST Person, by those who did it in 1886 to 1936. Spend one year reading, studying, and get a good magnifying glass with which to study photographs of the period. Make notes, what did they wear, what tools are present, how did they feed the dog team, how many ways too build a cache, etc..

The good news is that much was recorded by survey parties, and Federal Judges, Missionaries, and a few educated prospectors.
    It is doable, but the physical pain and suffering, the mental anguish will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend. However the reward, even if you fail, will be beyond anything you can currently comprehend.

The key is to study those who really did it......................................
    That's good advice! I'm not there yet though. I eventually want to do that.. but honestly not yet. In my dreams I want to meet a man, get married and then start my life out in the wilderness. Until then I want to hone my skills for surviving. I have a long way to go, but I have to start somewhere!

If your'e looking to explore and have a multi-day excursion near Houston, google Nancy Lakes Recreation Area. It's minutes from Houston, and has an extensive lake trail, well marked portages, cabins and tent sites scattered throughout, good chances of seeing a multitude of birds, as well as beaver, moose, bear, coyote, etc.

There's also a ton of flowing water options of all classes that are 5-90 minutes from Houston as well.

Nice stuff AGL, thanks for posting it.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If your'e looking to explore and have a multi-day excursion near Houston, google Nancy Lakes Recreation Area. It's minutes from Houston, and has an extensive lake trail, well marked portages, cabins and tent sites scattered throughout, good chances of seeing a multitude of birds, as well as beaver, moose, bear, coyote, etc.

There's also a ton of flowing water options of all classes that are 5-90 minutes from Houston as well.

Nice stuff AGL, thanks for posting it.
    I tried writing you back, but your inbox was full.

Thanks for the tip for the Nancy Lakes Recreation Area. I'll be sure to check it out!