Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 XL7 165gr HPBT

Default 30-06 XL7 165gr HPBT

Here is my load work I did today for my hunt this coming week with my Marlin 30-06 XL7 using a 165gr Sierra HPBT in front of 60.9grs of W760, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers. Also will be taking my Big 8.

NOTE: No pressure signs and easy ejection.

High velocity was 3016fps and Low was 3003fps and Average was 3008fps

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Also today with the 180gr North Fork SS
    Grains: 180
    Hi Vel: 2892
    Low Vel: 2830
    Ave Vel: 2852
    Ext Spread: 62
    Std Dev: 26

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice to see others getting similar results like I have been getting with a 30-06. I had more than a few skeptics when I posted my 180 grain load clocking 2917. Good to see the old 06 performing like a 300 Win Mag.

Nice work
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If I had a 24" barrel I would really be humming, but it is more than sufficient being a 30-06 with a 22" barrel and it handles really nice for an entry level rifle and shoots good.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have already planned on backing down to around 2920fps -2930fps and not because of any functioning problem with my 06 but just to be on the safe side because the velocities are high even though the primers are fine, and the base has not expanded to much and it ejects fine, I am still going to lower the velocities.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Whats your load data?
    bullet
    powder/load
    primer
    etc
    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Also today with the 180gr North Fork SS
    Grains: 180
    Hi Vel: 2892
    Low Vel: 2830
    Ave Vel: 2852
    Ext Spread: 62
    Std Dev: 26

“Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Whats your load data?
    bullet
    powder/load
    primer
    etc
    I used 57.7grs W760 but i have decided to drop that to 56.5 grs just to be on the safe side even though i do not have any preaaure signs and even though North Fork bullets reduce pressure more than a standered bullet
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I used 57.7grs W760 but i have decided to drop that to 56.5 grs just to be on the safe side even though i do not have any preaaure signs and even though North Fork bullets reduce pressure more than a standered bullet
    That's for the 180 North Fork rather than the 165 Sierra you used to start this thread, right?

Gotta love W760. Not many folks use the WW powders, and in my experience too, they're missing out.

And I'm impressed with the accuracy of that Marlin XL7. I've been looking at the model for a lot of years as a cheaper alternative to the big names in bolts, but have never made the dive because they don't make a lefty. Might have to rethink that after your report. Thanks, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's for the 180 North Fork rather than the 165 Sierra you used to start this thread, right?

Gotta love W760. Not many folks use the WW powders, and in my experience too, they're missing out.

And I'm impressed with the accuracy of that Marlin XL7. I've been looking at the model for a lot of years as a cheaper alternative to the big names in bolts, but have never made the dive because they don't make a lefty. Might have to rethink that after your report. Thanks, I think!
    Yes, the 57.7grs and the 56.5 is for the 180 gre
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks. I may have to give North Forks a try.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Frankly, I think my load with the velocities I got could be to close to the edge if not over even though my rifle did not act like it was at max pressure or not. Will be lowering my velocities by at least 70fps until I see the results of the strain gauge.

Yes I am back and no cigar, did not get to bloody the Big 8 or 06, we got rained out, in fact it rained so much that the swamp we hunt flooded so bad that we could not get to our stands.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is a better shot of why we could not get to our stands.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Overall Beartooth, what is your impression of the rifle as a whole ? I am thinking of one in 243 as soon as some SS models start showing up

So far it shoots good, it is light, smooth bolt for an entry level rifle but not smooth like my Nosler TRG or some of my other more expensive rifles. The balance is really nice and that was a surprise. I like the pillar bedding, but I do not like the plastic magazine follower. The trigger is nice and it is adjustable. The best thing it has going for it being an entry level rifle is it's accuracy and marlin has seemed to put a good barrel on the rifle and the barrel locking nut is not bad looking like on the older Savage rifles. Not through with a complete evaluation of it until I get a few hundred more rounds through it and some different bullets and loads. All and all for the money it seems to be pretty good deal. Pulses are the accuracy, balance and feel along with the trigger.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I handled one for quite a while last month and was impressed with the overall feel and function - I think I'll give a 243 a try but I am inclined to wait until I can get my hands on a stainless model - I don't know when that might be now .... Thank you for the response

You are welcome. Also, with blued models I use EEZOX to coat the blued metal parts for the real damp and wet weather I hunt in down hear and also to store my rifles when I clean them and put them up for a while. It really works well.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've been using TETRA OIL for a number of years now for the same reason - I stumbled on a rep at a gunshow around '87, was impressed and gave it a try, have not looked back - Lately I thought that there should either be new generations of TETRA of some new technology out there so I was looking and stumbled upon a test study done by some independant source and, although EEZOX placed higher than others, TETRA is still considered the number one compound for guns and motor parts - I've used it in my rifle bores to reduce fouling and protect the metal from corrosion and the stuff really does work great, the reduction of pressure signs in hot loads is remarkable too - I've read some gripes about smell here and there but I've not encountered anything that drove me from the room or even caused me to wrinkle my nose - I've been using AmsOil in my turbo diesels for awhile and lately have wondered if I might be missing something there, haven't acted on any of that wonderment though - I gunsmith friend, Darrell Holland, told me long ago that he had encountered TETRA and knew of one thing about it for sure, it DOES penetrate the surface of the steel permanently, hope that might help you out

George

Thanks, that is some good info, I will be checking it out and thank you for taking the time explain what it is and what it does.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Jerry sent me a picture from the deer camp in the swamps. The first picture is where the water was and you see where the four wheeler is parked and the second picture is where it is this evening. They couldn't hunt so they got together and decided to have a cook out and eat. Don't you just love it!!

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Marlin XL7 is at the gunsmith for strain gauge test, will know in about a week or so concerning the first load on this thread and it's pressures.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast