Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: .375 Ruger Alaskan no more?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    140

    Default .375 Ruger Alaskan no more?

    I noticed on the recently updated ruger web site, that the Alaskan is no longer available. I bought one when they first came out, and it has become the best rifle I have ever owned. It is my go to tool, there is nothing I don't like about it or the cartridge,from up close work with open sights, to a very capable 300+ yard after slapping my Nikon on with Warner QD rings,it does it. Sorry for the rambling on, just upset that if for whatever reason I needed to replace mine, it won't be on the shelf! I hope they just forgot to put it on the website.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Wow, I was just there a few days ago browsing and it was listed. I would hate to see such a nice option discontinued, hopefully it is an oversite.

  3. #3
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    It would appear the Alaskan has morphed into the similar Guide Rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South East Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    20

    Default

    9.3x62 African Safari gone too!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    140

    Default

    That guide model is fugly!

  6. #6
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    That guide model is fugly!
    Well, uh, yeah it is- big time. Good news is they made a bunch of Alaskans so finding a used one usually isn't a problem.

    I guess worst case would be to slap a Guide into a Hogue stock and unscrew the brake- but thats a lot to do on a new rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    142

    Default

    That brake looks like the piece of junk browning boss totally worthless and loud.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

    I guess worst case would be to slap a Guide into a Hogue stock and unscrew the brake- but thats a lot to do on a new rifle.
    Or better yet, chamber a good barrel in 375 Ruger, mate it to a Howa/Vangard action (much better than a Ruger action - IMHO of course), and bed it in a good stock like a B&C Medalist. It will last a lifetime.

  9. #9
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Or better yet, chamber a good barrel in 375 Ruger, mate it to a Howa/Vangard action (much better than a Ruger action - IMHO of course), and bed it in a good stock like a B&C Medalist. It will last a lifetime.
    I think Howa is factory chambering the .375 Ruger IIRC....no screwing around, just a straight up purchase!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think Howa is factory chambering the .375 Ruger IIRC....no screwing around, just a straight up purchase!
    If I was looking for a 375 Ruger, that would be my choice, unless, I wanted to get a little custom.

  11. #11
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Some guys down here in AZ were I work are having a three gun grudge match in a few weeks. Hand gun, open sight rifle and long range rifle. I'm using the .375 Alaskan for the open sight portion, should be fun.

  12. #12
    Member Redlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Now in Anchorage
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Perhaps Ruger is jumping the shark with all this muzzle brake BS. Whoever their "designer" is will probably get fired. They should have worked on skillfully reducing the weight of the M77 line, and upgrading the stock selection. Apparently they are putting all efforts in their All American, Scout Rifle, and whatever auto-loaders they can churn out. Just as I was considering a 338 RCM. Mmm, maybe the M70 30-06 won't be so bad.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Perhaps Ruger is jumping the shark with all this muzzle brake BS. Whoever their "designer" is will probably get fired. They should have worked on skillfully reducing the weight of the M77 line, and upgrading the stock selection. Apparently they are putting all efforts in their All American, Scout Rifle, and whatever auto-loaders they can churn out. Just as I was considering a 338 RCM. Mmm, maybe the M70 30-06 won't be so bad.

    I agree they should fire the designer. Why the hell would they drop the Alaskan or African for that matter? I wonder if its because of the feed problems they had in the beggining? Those are good guns and the new guide gun is one ugly ******* for sure. I hate that stock with the terrible butt pad like the scout rifle. The brake is also not something that is needed. I had a 416 ruger Alaskan and it was a thumper. I traded it after I decided I didnt need it then I just got another one in 375 ruger this time to keep. I hope they bring it back because those really are good guns and look way better than the guide gun monstrosity.

  14. #14
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YotaTRD4x4 View Post
    and the new guide gun is one ugly ******* for sure. I hate that stock with the terrible butt pad like the scout rifle. .....look way better than the guide gun monstrosity.
    I gotta agree...the guide gun looks like an assembly of miscellaneious spare parts cobbled together into a rifle. I hate the Hogue stock on my Alaskan. After looking at the Guide, I don't hate it so much anymore.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  15. #15
    Member Doug in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    418

    Default

    I agree, that Ruger Guide model is an ugly looking beast. Glad I have my African in .375 Ruger!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •