Thread: Chew the bones and lick the gravey!!

Default Chew the bones and lick the gravey!!

I have no Hunting tales of late, its been dark 20 some hoursa aadya nd now thats changeing a few minutes more everyday. Now , for me, is the time to get ready for the 5th season, Light Winter. Refitted the ride, cleaned up some snares, got camp all fixxed up and now were poised to move that way a bity and re establish a hunting trap trail, as the Willows have really grown in some trails through them, as wel that alotta trails that lead to the river have drop offs from the erosin, and chopping "ramps" into the frozen sod hasnt been fun either. Im tired and sore, the wifes doing dishes and i just finnished sucking the marrow out of one finely roasted Carbou bone I just munched like corn on the cob.

I feel like a frikkin Caveman

So heres my thoughts on thats delicious trophy of the fattest most finely crownd Bull Caribou, cauight in his prime and slayn, then roasted to perfection , so that I may hunt his kin on a later day

Bone marrow is important to the diet as you need to eat the whole animal if your living off wild foods.
    The marrow provides alotta fats and such to balance the protine from the meats. The organs are obviously on the menue, but alotta people forget the power packed in the bones themselfs. The upper leg bones, Humurs and thigh bones have th emost marrow.
    Boiled, roasted, raw, and cooked, cooled and used like lard, its good for you.
    In fall the marrow are stiff and white,maybe reddish, in Spring they are much larger and watery, but after a long winter, about the only fat on a Caribou sometimes. This is the most important time to eat them, when the animals are thin and lean.
    Hit the center to crack them, hit the ends to open them up. Look out for bone slivers, like fish bones, they can ruin your day.Long ago they boiled bones to get everything out/of of them, and then cooled the cooking and skimmed the marrows oils off the top and saved.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fine eats with some fine ladies. Damm we just got hit by fair size quake why I was typing,
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Earth quake?

Rocks yer world, dont it??

Be safe, Amigo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Fine eats with some fine ladies. Damm we just got hit by fair size quake why I was typing,
    Ya 7 somethin... Tsunami warning just was on the tv for S of Cordova to Vancouver island!!
    keep us posted
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Livin the life, caveman style Stranger! Many, including me, envy your lifestyle and way that you live off the land so well in such a harsh environment.

My life has its earthquakes, Tsunamis and neck deep BS, but it all washes off and we still Hunt

Oh ya, and thank you all for the Member of the Year. Like I told Amigo, I didnt run and look what happend....same with our VFD and our S&R, I just get a call or Email saying "Your on!, we voted you in "" ~~WOW!!~~ ~~LOL!!~~

Marrow added to a moose stew thickens it and adds lots of flavor.
    BK

Great post, as always stranger. You are a blessed man to carry on traditions and ways handed down for centuries. Keep on doin what you do. Knute

Stranger, good post as usual. Let me add my congratulations for your selection as member of the year too.

One thing I learned to appreciate while traveling with East Greenlanders is raw liver seal eaten at near body temperature. It is surprisingly delicious. Is that something you folks do? Many East Greenland animals are still dried and eaten raw. Some I like and some I don't like, but I would prefer eating something I don't like to going hungry. Which foods do your people eat without cooking?

Hungry folks here most anything that flys , swims, crawls, runs or grows tward the sun if not under ground or in the water.....

Most all fish, except Tiktalik , a burbot type fish are eaten frozen, cook'd and dryed. All red meats are done the same, except Seal meat, which is eaten cooked or dried, but not raw and frozen. Seal Liver ios good fresh and raw, as are kidneys, same for Caribou. Most all frozen meats and fish are dipped in Seal oil, and alotta dried meats and fish are stored in Seal Oil, as are fresh greens ..........seal Oil is the important stuff, it caloroicly makes the frozen meats worth eating, and dosent chill you, but warms you.

Seal Oil, a garnish for all occassions. Bone Marrow and Fish oil are great substitutes when your outta Seal oil.

Congrats on MOTY Chip, you certainly deserve it! Another great post and look into a great way of life. You guys do head soup out that way? Same thing, get a pretty thick layer of fat on top of a big pot of head soup, good stuff.

neat post as usual chip! thanks for the insight into you and your families priorities this time of year...good stuff. so how come the seal meat isnt prefered raw? and what of whale...do you eat it raw? just curious. thanks chip! stay warm and i hope the few hours your getting of daylight has a few grams of vitamin d for you and your family.

I'm not the cook, nor do I mind the foods much when they are being "made" as in smokeing or drying.

I've never been servd Whale or Seal raw, nor have I seen anyone eat the meat raw. Almost always dryied, because its caught most always in Spring or Summer, and if frozen, its most likely boiled.....Seal blubber can be eaten still twitching....

although in Spring, while the butchering is going on and the blubber renderd to oils, there is alot of fresh meats cood and served, but then , becaise the ice is out, the main attention is tward fishing and the flavors of them as well, fresh for the first time in months, even the birds are "fresh" then, and I guess we only eat them cooked too.

Yeah, that fresh seal blubber is something else. A few years ago, in East Greenland, I shot a seal with my bow. East Greenlanders have no history with bows and arrows, not even for hunting birds, because they had no materials with which to make a bow. That means my seal was likely the first animal killed in east Greenland with a bow in all of human history. West Greenlanders did have bows and 16th century European drawings show them using their bows and arrows for hunting birds.

The woman that skinned my seal was eating the fat as fast as she could scrape it with her ulu (they call it a tchacat - at least that is the way it is pronounced even if I have the spelling wrong). The east Greenlanders have not given up their dogs for snow machines the way Alaskans have and every family still has its dog team. Seal is the main diet of the dogs and the dog fur soon gets coated with the seal fat, as does the rocks on which the seals are butchered. The whole thing is a gooey mess and the rocks and dogs feel like they are coated with sticky bubble gum.

The seal meat itself, if not fed to the dogs, is eaten after being boiled. We all sat on the rocks eating the boiled seal meat with our fingers and just tossed the bones over our shoulders to be cleaned up by any foxes in the area.

Is it just me or am I messed up thinkin' the title of this thread sounds kinda sexy....???!!!.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Is it just me or am I messed up thinkin' the title of this thread sounds kinda sexy....???!!!.....

I think it's just you . . . messed up, that is . . .

Attachment 67080

hey guys, just got two moose.

what is the recipe for the bone marrow? any water? how hot for how long??

what about head soup? I take it you must skin the head first, then what?

thanks!!!008.jpg

Seal huntig with a bow would be too cool...........I should by one of my sons a bow set up for fishing, with some serious line.......

If yer gonna make soup, crack the bones and let the marrow seep out as it liquifys as it cooks, or leave them intact and bust them after cooking.......or orast them whole with some meat on the bone (softest sweetest meats!!)

As for Moose head, Id skin it and then roast it.We do that with Caribou, but never Moose.....the jaw meats are awsome!!! the tounge would be the real prize......aint done it myself, but Im sure thats how Indian folks do it, not these folks Im around. Way different customs/eating habits/recipies.......but not so different it cant be done right