Thread: Have a 1903-A3 Action, thinking about a new project

Default Have a 1903-A3 Action, thinking about a new project

My mind is tossing around a few ideas for a new rifle project built around a 1903A3 action (rem) I have laying around...

338-06
    35 Whelen Ackely Improved
    375 Whelen Ackely improved...

Anyone have any interesting barrels ?????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    My mind is tossing around a few ideas for a new rifle project built around a 1903A3 action (rem) I have laying around...

338-06

Stand apart from the crowd: 318 Westley-Richards.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Springfield - keep it American. One of the Whelans.

If you want to go with a modified Whelen why not just go to a 35 Gibbs or a 35 HAWK ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I assume the action has already been sporterized. If not, I'll trade you one that has for it and save you a bit of money - I'd rebuild an original military action.

I'd probably go with an original .35 Whelen - an American classic. You should also consider the .375- 06 AI - I've been really impressed with mine so far. The only downside is that the dies are a lot more expensive.

338-06

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Here is the deal on this action...
    I obtained it in a trade along with a bunch of other stuff.
    It is a 1943 or 44 Remington,,,,, BUT...
    Some yahoo cut an inch off the end of the barrel to remove the old front sight...WHY OH WHY ???
    And THEN..... as if that was not enough,, they drilled and tapped the receiver and installed a set of weaver bases. The rear base was the type that sits on the rear sight dove-tail.

It came in a cheap plastic stock with a couple of business cards under the barrel as pressure points.. Oddly enough it actually shot OK groups in that condition. The bolt is a 1903-A4 bolt and it has one of the old Buelher low scope safety's .

I pulled it out of the stock a few years back and it has just been hanging on a hook in my shop ever since.

If I keep it and turn it into something else, It will end up with a Model 70 style safety,, I think I was looking for one a few years back when I gave up and started to work on another project.

Then again I really need to thin my herd... So I might just add it to the list of stuff I am thinking about selling and save myself a bunch of time and work...

Default let me know...

Back when those guns were cheap a lot of them got sporterized in various ways. I've still got the one I got back in the mid-60s - $35 for a mint 03-A3 in a Herter's stock. But I paid for it with $35 silver dollars back when you still get them from the banks for a $1.

At worse you will only have to drill one more hole for a Leupold/Redfield base. The one in the rear bridge is the same for all the mounts I've seen.

Let me know if you decide to sell it -or I could trade you outta the 03-A4 bolt or the whole thing. I've got a couple of 03 actions that many like better than the A3s for building a nice classic sporter - the 03s were a bit nicer finished etc. Also got several FN commercial actions etc.

Here is the deal on this action...
    I obtained it in a trade along with a bunch of other stuff.
    It is a 1943 or 44 Remington,,,,, BUT...
    Some yahoo cut an inch off the end of the barrel to remove the old front sight...WHY OH WHY ???
    And THEN..... as if that was not enough,, they drilled and tapped the receiver and installed a set of weaver bases. The rear base was the type that sits on the rear sight dove-tail.

It came in a cheap plastic stock with a couple of business cards under the barrel as pressure points.. Oddly enough it actually shot OK groups in that condition. The bolt is a 1903-A4 bolt and it has one of the old Buelher low scope safety's .

I pulled it out of the stock a few years back and it has just been hanging on a hook in my shop ever since.

If I keep it and turn it into something else, It will end up with a Model 70 style safety,, I think I was looking for one a few years back when I gave up and started to work on another project.

Then again I really need to thin my herd... So I might just add it to the list of stuff I am thinking about selling and save myself a bunch of time and work...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Send me an e-mule

dragonfly@alaska.net

338-06

An '03 re-chambered to 35 Whelen is a classic conversion in and of itself and nearly as cool as an original '03 in my opinion. I had one a few years ago and was going to do that very thing, but it turned out mine was such an early serial number that it was considered to be in the suspect heat treating period so I got leery of it and traded it off to get a commercial Mauser action for my custom. I still kind of wish I' have just chanced it and went on with my plans.