Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get in Sheep shape while training in flat land

Default How to get in Sheep shape while training in flat land

I will be leaving on a sandy vacation for the rest of the winter, and I am wondering how those who have deployed or live in non-mountainous locations prepare for next season. I realize their have been other threads on preparing, but i was hoping to get a more customized answer as I will have nothing more than a two foot sand dune to climb. Thanks for any info!
    -Matt

Try a pack or at least hand weights and hit a football stadium. Two new exercises I discovered were Step Backs and Hovers. Both are done on a standard 7” step but I’ll be increasing the height as I progress then add dumbbells.

Step Backs - face away from step, step backward onto the step, then step down, repeat several times then switch leg and repeat. Builds Quad to stabilize the knee and creates strength for the decent.

Hovers - one foot on step and the other hovers over the floor. Slowly lower the hovering foot until it nears the floor, then stand upright, repeat several times, then switch. I do three variations, first facing step, second on side of step and third away from the step.

Slow beats fast with these exercises as you must stabilize the knee before pushing up. If you don’t, expect knee pain.

I just took a walk around Kandahar and didn't see a single football stadium. It really depends on where you are headed to. Crossfit seems pretty prevalent around AFG. Kandahar for instance has an active well organized program with an outdoors gym devoted to it. Despite being the sand box most of these bases in AFG at least are 3k vertical feet or more so just using a treadmill with incline maxed or my favorite the summit trainer will be training at sheep altitude.

LuJon you are correct sir. Next time I'll read the thread thoroughly. I saw SANDY VACATION and dreamt of Florida, totally missed the deployment.

You are correct haha No Stadium... But their our stairs! My wife says she wants me coming back looking like Magic Mike. I told her I don't know what that means (which was a huge mistake cause moments later I had a youtube video in my face!) but if it involves me getting in sheep shape then I am in! I guess we will see how it goes!

At least it was only a video and not the real thing.

I've been looking into home work outs and the research says box jumps really help your hill climbing endurance. Think of them as doing a sprint, but in a small room. The taller the box and the faster the rate the worse it will be, but better results later.

Lunges in all forms
    Thrusters with dumb bells or a bar
    Squats with a pack

All will work your hill climbing needs.

Don't forget your upper body or the heavy pack will crush you.

I would check out a couple different websites
    http://www.militaryathlete.com/ Went to a course with the owner Rob Shaw really good guy lots of good work outs also owns and operates http://www.mtnathlete.com/ Kind of takes crossfit to the next level, incorporates more strength building than crossfit does. And if you want to really get after it check out http://www.sealfit.com/hp/ this stuff can get pretty intense. Also before my first deployment we did stair sprints at least once a week and we would carry weights up kind of like a ladder. So have like a 15, 25, 35 dumbbells and one at a time sprint them to the top of the stairs then back down again. I do some personal training on the side feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Can't get any more flat than here in Louisiana. Tallest spot in my city is 19 feet above sea level.

P90X is the best. Add a pack and do some stadiums in addition, but don't put more than 35 pounds because you'll start wearing on your knees and hips.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

As long a Magic Mike and the wife are not in the same YouTube video your good for now

Oh I forgot to mention lots and lots and lots of squats!

Quote Originally Posted by monk2015 View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention lots and lots and lots of squats!
    I really feel that's one of the keys right there for ANY workout you do to get in sheep shape......imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You can email Rob Shaul, founder of militaryathlete.com and he will send you a Pre-Afghanistan workout for free being a military member or someone deploying there. I have done that work out and it gets your Legs and Lungs in shape! Another website I would check out is www.traintohunt.com. It has daily workouts and is geared towards hunters. If you have any questions PM me and I can get you in touch with the guys who will answer any questions you have about a personalized workout plan.

Stay safe over there!

Ryan

I completely agree squats are the foundation of any good fitness plan. They are a total body exercise, also a huge fan of deadlifts

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I will be leaving on a sandy vacation for the rest of the winter
    I greatly appreciate your service Brother. Stay safe.

Thank you PA and everyone else for the recommendations! To bad my wife sol out p90x. I'll check into those websites and see what's up. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Thank you PA and everyone else for the recommendations! To bad my wife sol out p90x. I'll check into those websites and see what's up. Thanks again!
    Good luck and take care over there buddy. Thanks for all you do. Sorry you didn't get up to the far end of Tusty to use your tag this year. Hopefully you'll get another chance someday.

All the best....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Good luck and take care over there buddy. Thanks for all you do. Sorry you didn't get up to the far end of Tusty to use your tag this year. Hopefully you'll get another chance someday.

All the best....!!!
    Thanks 4mer, I do hope to make it over there one day. I just need to find a reliable hunting partner who isn't afraid of a little extra work. Live and Learn eh?

Building the strongest base possible is the key and the Squat/Dead Lift combo is the best. However if done only Bi-Laterally your weak side may suffer and you will over compensate with the stronger side. The greater the strength capacity between right and left or front and back, leads us to soreness and injury. At least one day a week should be Uni-Lateral exercises.

Single leg split squats, Step-ups, Lunges, Single Leg Dead Lifts, Single Leg Jumps (front/back and right/left) are just a few.

I finish off and cool down with one I call “3 to 9 o’clock.”
    Stand on left foot only and keep it pointed to the 12 o’clock, right foot is held up and mostly behind body. Left knee slightly bent, touch left hand to 9, stand upright, 12, stand upright, and 3 o’clock positions on the floor. 6 o’clock cannot be done without a bend and twist (forbidden). Repeat with right hand to 3, 12 and 9 o’clock. Switch feet and repeat. Second and third sets are easiest.

Important: Never bend and twist. Each floor touch should feel like a single leg/stiff leg dead lift. Regain your balance before every touch.

I don't want to be the one who relies subjective personal experience for information, but do folks in the army not train to stay in shape for the possibility that a war might happen? Granted, the guys I see running on Wainwright are a little pudgy, but they're still running.
    You'll be fine on the sheep hunt, pal. Just stay safe over there.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I don't want to be the one who relies subjective personal experience for information, but do folks in the army not train to stay in shape for the possibility that a war might happen? Granted, the guys I see running on Wainwright are a little pudgy, but they're still running.
    You'll be fine on the sheep hunt, pal. Just stay safe over there.
    Haha thanks skinny! But there is a slight problem with your thought process which rules me out... I'm Air Force is the first part (a lot more "pudgy guys"), and second is we don't train nearly as much as the army which honestly I'm a bit ashamed to say. I'm in better shape then most, but I just want to be "all that I can be" (haha) while looking for a sheep or goat. I may pull 90 or above on my fitness test, but that won't help much in this case!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast