Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line on downriggers

Default Braided line on downriggers

I have heard some talk about using braided line on downriggers. Has anyone tried this? what braid did you use and what pound test? can u use all the same terminators? Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I have heard some talk about using braided line on downriggers. Has anyone tried this? what braid did you use and what pound test? can u use all the same terminators? Ryan
    Yeah, there was another thread at one time that touched on this. You might be able to do a search and find it.

I don't use braid on mine, but I HAVE thought about it. I've just never had any problem with using wire. I use 12 lb. weights and the only time I get any real "blow back" is if the tide is REALLY running and I try to go against it. But I don't fish that way, so it's not a problem.

Some people say they hate the "hum" you get from wire, but it's "music to my ears" when I'm trolling, so that's not a problem.

They say braid won't "kink" and wire will. I troll probably 150 times or more every year and every once in a while I get a kink. When I do I straighten it out.

There is some "talk" that you'll hear that says wire will actually set up an electrical current that will repel fish. I use wire and catch plenty of fish. Would I catch more if I use braid? Maybe. Should I change to find out? Naaaahhhhh.....

My thoughts are essentially if something works why fix it? If someone that says braid is superior wants to buy me some I'll be happy to give it a shot. Until then I'll just stick with what works.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Make sure that your downrigger is rated for it. Yours are pretty new so they should be fine. If they aren't then the power pro (or similiar braid) can break the spools.

I thought about changing up - but am leaving the wire on for next year.

Another potential problem I see with braid is that when you have a fray in your wire line it is hard to miss and thus a red flag that you need to re-rig. Personally, I find that the braid I use for fishing can be compromised and unless you look really hard for it you'll get breakage. I'll cut a chunk of my braided line off after a week (or even every day if it's getting heavy usage) of hard fishing because I just don't trust it. With wire you can just look at it and tell whether it's frayed in any way. If it's not, you know it's not going to break on you under normal usage.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I know it works good, 200#. When tying your knot make sure you burn the tag end. The only down side of braid is that you can't use a black box with it like you can with wire.

In the rental biz its a must. Kinks are common and losing a ball sucks when you're out fishing. On my own boat I use wire but I watch it close.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I use 200 lb test power pro. The main reason is to cut down on drag as the power pro is significantly thinner than cable. it also helps eliminate the annoying hum I sometime get from the cable in the water. Probably doesn't bother the fish, but it irritates the heck out of me.

A good question to ask yourself is why is it that every downrigger manufacturer out there supplies their downriggers with stainless wire instead of braid? Another thought is which would you have more faith in if it happens to run across a sharp object? Try taking one of your fillet knives and run it across stainless wire. Now take your fillet knife and run it across some braid. Which would you rather hang all your gear off of now?

I'm not saying "I'm right" and "everyone that says braid is the best" is wrong. Just the thoughts that go through my head when I make the decision on which to run. I hate losing my rigging when my line fails and unless I do something stupid like I did the other day and ignore the very obvious fray in my wire I'll keep using what works just fine with me. Sure you can't run a "black box" with braid, but I don't use a "black box" because I catch plenty of fish without one.

I made the switch to braid. Don't think I will ever go back to wire. The new wire sure seems more brittle than it used to be. Those 12lb Canon balls are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    A good question to ask yourself is why is it that every downrigger manufacturer out there supplies their downriggers with stainless wire instead of braid? Another thought is which would you have more faith in if it happens to run across a sharp object? Try taking one of your fillet knives and run it across stainless wire. Now take your fillet knife and run it across some braid. Which would you rather hang all your gear off of now?

I'm not saying "I'm right" and "everyone that says braid is the best" is wrong. Just the thoughts that go through my head when I make the decision on which to run. I hate losing my rigging when my line fails and unless I do something stupid like I did the other day and ignore the very obvious fray in my wire I'll keep using what works just fine with me. Sure you can't run a "black box" with braid, but I don't use a "black box" because I catch plenty of fish without one.
    watching your mind work is an amazing experience.

Try running monofilament with a king on it across wire. Now try it with braid.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I made the switch to braid. Don't think I will ever go back to wire. The new wire sure seems more brittle than it used to be. Those 12lb Canon balls are not cheap.
    I hate it when someone has lost thier balls it is around $30.00 each. I think the Huntress switched from wire to braid too. The other big plus with braid on your downrigger is that you can put on lots of line for running chum bags in the deep.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I hate it when someone has lost thier balls it is around $30.00 each. I think the Huntress switched from wire to braid too. The other big plus with braid on your downrigger is that you can put on lots of line for running chum bags in the deep.
    Braid is good stuff. Can't see any reason to run wire anymore with the good braid available. I had an initial bad experience with braid years ago with some bargain cave Cabelas cheap stuff. My boss gave me a spool of the really good scotty braid (I think that' what it is) and I love it.

I'm curious what the Huntress is using. That guy is dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Braid is good stuff. Can't see any reason to run wire anymore with the good braid available. I had an initial bad experience with braid years ago with some bargain cave Cabelas cheap stuff. My boss gave me a spool of the really good scotty braid (I think that' what it is) and I love it.
    I'm curious what the Huntress is using. That guy is dialed in.
    I found last year's thread on the subject and it's interesting that you made the switch. Apparently quality braid made the difference?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=1#post1059604

Ryan,
    Check lundertakers comments in post 17... don't worry about the catfish in post 18 PM him if you want to ask specifics.
    BTW, good looking lab on your avatar.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Try running monofilament with a king on it across wire. Now try it with braid.
    And your point is!? LOL! That statement is nonsense.

Funny how it is the exact same people over and over and over again that drag this down by having to do their best to put down in any way possible what I have to say. Why can't you all just let your ridiculous feelings toward me go? I'm tired of it and I know a lot of other people are, too. Give it a break guys. I'm trying to be helpful. That's all.

Funny how it is the exact same people over and over and over again that drag this down by having to do their best to put down in any way possible what I have to say.
    Isn't that what you do to everyone constantly? Like in post #15 where I clearly got the point that Milo was trying to make from his opinion and you were rude and told him it was nonsense? Pot calling the kettle black.....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Funny how it is the exact same people over and over and over again that drag this down by having to do their best to put down in any way possible what I have to say. Why can't you all just let your ridiculous feelings toward me go? I'm tired of it and I know a lot of other people are, too. Give it a break guys. I'm trying to be helpful. That's all.
    has it occurred to you that you are dominating a thread about something you have never used? who are you trying to help?? haha

I had a crew member, "buddy", chop a down rigger cable making tight turn with the trolling motor. I replaced the worn cable with braid made by scotty I think. It was not as hydrodynamic as the cable on the other down rigger. The braid shows more drag in the water and the cannon ball swings out more, shallower, that the wire. I do like the fact there aren't any snags on the braid. My cables are old and cut my hands once in a while. I don't know what I'll use when I replace the other wire. Another thing, when I stack and clip to the braid, as opposed to the ball, my clips don't stay put very well. The braid is slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I had a crew member, "buddy", chop a down rigger cable making tight turn with the trolling motor. I replaced the worn cable with braid made by scotty I think. It was not as hydrodynamic as the cable on the other down rigger. The braid shows more drag in the water and the cannon ball swings out more, shallower, that the wire. I do like the fact there aren't any snags on the braid. My cables are old and cut my hands once in a while. I don't know what I'll use when I replace the other wire. Another thing, when I stack and clip to the braid, as opposed to the ball, my clips don't stay put very well. The braid is slippery.
    For stacking on any of the super braids like power pro you need to use the red ex heavy clips to hold on the downrigger line. As for more drag it sounds like the line you put on is not a super braid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast