Thread: Rigby at 12 Weeks

Default Rigby at 12 Weeks

So Rigby is at 12 weeks old now and has been with me about a month now. We get out several times a day and has taken to the leash well, is doing very well on the house training. We are working on come, whoa and play fetch among other things at an elementary play/training level. I知 real happy with him responding to 田ome巴oth voice and whistle. He is also getting a handle on a 2 tweet quartering/direction change. Not bad considering the snow is chest high to him and is pretty crusty right now. He is fearless and dives headlong into the brush! I知 going to attach a short video and a couple pics to bragg if you guys will bear with me. We are having a blast, me and my new huntin partner. I got a GoPro for Christmas and will have some cool dogs eye view vids when I figure out how to load it on here. Hope this video works... Click on the pic to start the video

And a couple bragg pics. I love my pup!

He really is a great lookin' pup for sure. I watched the video and am wondering about your one blast on the whistle to have him come. Is this something you decided on your own, or did you read about it somewhere and decide to go with it? I only ask because I use a rolling or multiple blasts for my dog to come. I use the single blast to have him sit. This is how I learned years ago.

Though mind you I've always had retrievers, so the whistle commands for a pointer may be different...???

Just curious.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I read several books and watched several DVD's and it seems that there is no real standard. In Richard Wolters' book, "Gun Dog", he says to use 2 blasts for come. In a book by John Falk, Bird Dog Training" and another book by Richard Weaver, Training Your Pointing Dog for Hunting and Home", the standard is a single blast for come. So I went with a single blast.

Drop dead gorgeous pup! But I'm going with 4merguide on this one. One or two blasts of the whistle in the field to come can be hard for a dog to hear and respond to. Over the decades I've watched how a dog responds to whistles while in the field and it sometimes takes him a bit of time to locate the sound of said whistle and get his bearings. For me it's multiple blasts for "Here!" One to "Whoa!" two to change directions. I don't teach sit.

Clearly, YMMV. Best of luck to both of you. I'm hoping to get another pup this fall. Go slow in his early training and make everything loads of fun. Later add in lots of birds and you'll have a great bird dog for the rest of his life. Happy for you.

Jim

Good looking canine friend!

Ditto to Jim and former guide...multiple blasts help the dog locate and return to handler better than one. I carry two whisltes in the field at all times...I use one blast of the pea whistle or a single longer tone with with a sliding scale up then down on the pealess whistle to turn. I have found the pealess whistle is necessary in cold weather due to freezing pea, and just in case.

However, it is up to each handler to sort out his means of commands etc...some say tarmigan, some say peetarmigan :-)

Enjoy the little guy...

I am with the muliple blast for come, I use 5 blasts to come, 2 to change direction (quarter), one to stop, (sit) look for direction, 2 to take off in direction of my arm movement. I can use either a whistle or my mouth whistle, 1 long blast means stop whatever you are doing and look at me. I have had a lot of labs, when they get older their hearing seems to get difficult, so hand signals are a great benifit to have teached. Great looking pup, you will have years of fun with him.

Multiple blasts make sense and it is not too late to modify. I appreciate the shared experience. If you guys will put up with my pics, I'll consider all experience. I'm no expert by any means.

Very nice pup.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans