View Poll Results: 338-06 (aka 338 -Sqaure)

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it and use it for everything

4 44.44%
  • It';s great but I sometimes need another rifle

4 44.44%
  • Have one but it is not very useful.

1 11.11%
  • Hated mine and sold it

0 0%

Thread: 338-06 shooters, what you think?

Default 338-06 shooters, what you think?

There are a few folks here who shoot and hunt with 338-06s.. All in all what do you think of the cartridge ?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    There are a few folks here who shoot and hunt with 338-06s.. All in all what do you think of the cartridge ?
    In a nutshell, I like it better than the 30-06, and better than a 338 Winchester. And I reckon, that's the whole reason it exists, eh?

Edit: Oh there's a poll now too! Ok; I love it, and I used to use it for everything, but don't anymore. Have never felt the need for anything larger tho. I have become a fan of the 6.5x55 more recently, and with care could use it for everything as well... I think I'm evolving toward the smaller, lighter gun with the looooooong bullet as time goes on.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree. Very useful for when bullets larger than a .30-06 are needed. I built mine for black bear w/o the punishment of a .338 WinMag. 2 thumbsup!

I have one, built on a '03 Springfield, that I've used a lot in the past. It's a great round, but I prefer the 35 Whelen and haven't used mine since getting the Whelen. I gotta admit I hunt a lot of stuff with a lot of different rifles so just because I normally use something else is no condemning criticism of the 338/06.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Any particular reason you like the 35 Whelen over the 338-06 ??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I think it's cause 1Cor15:19 is a .35 nut! It's wierd, but some people really like the .35s and some people really like the .338s (me). The conversations sound like this, "Well, there's nothing wrong with a .35 Whelen/.338-06. I even own one! I just seem to hunt more with my .35 Whelen/.338-06 more."
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I agree with what 1Cor15:19 said. I have had two 333/06 but neither of them came close to replacing my 35 Whelen. I feel very sure there are others with exactly the opposite experience.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I don't own a 338-06. Interesting cartridge though. Heard a lady say the other day that the correct amount of guns to own in Alaska is....one more!

I use a 338-06 and really like. I have only had it a few years, and have killed a 6.3 black bear and a nice 58" moose. One of the shots went though the whole moose. I shoot a 210gr Barnes TTSX or Speer hotcores. Both of then are being pushed at about 2700fps. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Any particular reason you like the 35 Whelen over the 338-06 ??
    Seems like we've been down this road before, but for clarity sake here goes. On paper the two seem like peas in a pod, with perhaps a slight advantage to the 338/06 due to the increased B.C. of its bullets. In the field on larger animals (this is entirely anecdotal), the .358 cartridges provide improved terminal ballistics (larger, more impressive wounds and more noticeable effect at bullet impact) when compared to their .338 counterparts. If I were looking to shoot these rifles at LR then the .338 gives opportunities that the .358 doesn't due to B.C. alone. However, at more normal hunting ranges--say out to 400 yards or so--I'll take the .358 cartridges every time. Since velocity is limited by the '06 case capacity, to me that means that the '06 case is always better with a .358 bullet than a .338 bullet because LR applications are dismissed in this application. Anyways, that's why I prefer the Whelen over the 338/06. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.